PDA

View Full Version : GWS E-starter on Floats

Wattwhere
09-01-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm building an E-starter to fly on GWS floats. Will the model fly well with the supplied motor and power supply or should I go brushless and lipo power while building?
Thanks

Twmaster
09-01-2005, 03:45 AM
The E-Starter with floats will fly well with either power setup.

--
Mike N

bc-slowflyer
09-01-2005, 03:49 AM
If you can, upgrade to a geared brushless motor (Himax 2015-4100 with C or D gears) and a 10X8 prop or equivalent and 3S 1500 lipo. Two of us have identical planes except one has a stock brushed motor and mine has the Himax. It's like night and day. They are both on floats. Mine loops effortlessly and easy rolls with the floats on!! Take off with the Himax is about 10-15 feet.
Hope this helps.

Rod

Wattwhere
09-03-2005, 01:57 AM
Thank you for the response.
I'll post a follow-up on the result.
Tom

WWI Ace
09-20-2005, 02:33 AM
I was told that I would need a 3 blade prop for a E-Starter with floats. Is this true? If not what prop are you guys flying with? I have a Himaxx 2015/4100 with gearbox and a E-flite Park 400 920Kv outrunner so either way I think power won't be a problem. I will also be using a TP 1320mah 3-cell lipoly for the battery. I've also never flown off water before so do you have any tips for me?

Wattwhere
09-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Dear WW1 Ace,
Power is good, Water is different than grass. find a experienced seaplane pilot to test fly your plane and guide you if possible the first flight if you can.
I've heard of the need for a three blade prop as well but seen the plane do well with a prop matched to the power system.
Good Luck,
Tom

bc-slowflyer
09-20-2005, 05:17 AM
I think your best bet is to try both a 1080 or equivalent and a 3 blade prop with a watt meter before you try flying it. That way you will know what kind of draw you have. I have found that the muti bladed props draw alot more than the single blades.

Thanks;
Rod

WWI Ace
09-21-2005, 03:40 AM
Wattwhere. There is nobody here that flies off of water. I am the "guinea pig" I guess you could say. Any advice you guys can give me on taking off and landing on water would be greatly appreciated!! I know that it's different from flying off grass or pavement. I've got the flying part down, it's the takeoffs and landings that scare me!! I don't really want to "dunk" my plane and ruin the electronics if I can help it.

bc-slowflyer
09-21-2005, 04:21 AM
WWI Ace;

I find that taking off and landing on the water way easier than on land. Basically just point the plane into the wind and give it full throttle and if it is trimmed out OK it will take off with just a little up elevator. Landing can be up wind or down wind with the E-Starter. Just bring it in slow and low and it will land itself. The first time my flying partner and I had our E-Starters flying on floats the local club President thought we had been practicing for a long time before bringing them out to fly with the club. It was that easy. As for dunking the E-Starter.....I have only done that once on take off. The plane flipped on its back (wing) and all the electronics stayed high and dry. Hope this helps.

Rod

WWI Ace
10-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Thanks Rod! I feel a little better about trying it now! I guess trying new stuff is what keeps us flying!!!

Evo
10-15-2005, 04:47 AM
My Spec for eStarter with GWS Floats
Himax 2025 Geared on a 6.61:1 gear setup
GWS 9X5 prop
(Pulling around 9-9.5 amps and getting about 100W +- 5W of power at WOT)
Pheonix 10
Kokam 1500 15C 3s
hs-55's and a GWS 6ch RX

It fly's really, really, really nice.
If you're going brushless pay the extra couple of bucks for the 2025 geared... totaly worth it.
It's nice to have the power when you need it.

Editting the video from the summer for next month. :)
Cheers.

trewheeler
10-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Are the Chaps that are putting larger 1250mah+ lipo's in their E-Starters putting them inside under the wing or cutting out the existing battery compartment?

I can just about squeeze an 850mah 11.1v in the hatch but need some more flight time. I'm using a brushless 2410-08Y and 15amp ESC.

Any suggestions?

Tim

bc-slowflyer
10-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Tim;

You can put the larger batteries in either location but if you put them under the wing it makes it difficult to access the battery when you need to change it. I choose to make the battery compartment larger. Eliminate the hatch ring and use a couple of small to medium size hinges to secure the hatch cover. Then take a couple of small servo arms and screw them into the fuselage on the opposite side of the hinges to use them as latches. See the pictures of my Beaver which is the same idea except I only used one hinge. Hope this helps.

Rod

trewheeler
10-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks Rod,

I've never asked anyone this question before, but in all seriousness :cool: - where can I see a picture of your Beaver?:D

;) I get the idea though. What size Lipo's do you recommend as a max for this set-up?

Regards,

Tim

trewheeler
10-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks Rod,

;) I get the idea though. What size Lipo's do you recommend as a max for this set-up?

Regards,

Tim

bc-slowflyer
10-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks Rod,

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim;

I have been using MaxAmps 1500 3S packs from Austin Else. The packs are a little heavy but hold up well under higher amp draw. I find that the extra weight makes the plane a better float flyer. I am now trying some China made lipos that are rated at 20-30C and are 1000 mah and 50-75 grams lighter than the MaxAmps. They perform very well but the plane is a little more touchy on take-off. I have also seen other fliers use Thunder Power 2100 3S packs. Little more pricey than what I'm using but great flight duration.
I think any lipo pack will work for you as long as you keep the amp draws below the pack limits. The battery compartment tends to not let a lot of cooling air into it so that is another consideration.

Hope this helps;
Rod

Tracon
10-26-2006, 06:00 AM
Hi Tim,

Here's a picture of my GWS E-Starter...

http://teamtracon.netfirms.com/aircraftgallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/Estarter/DSC_4708.JPG

My setup is:

Himaxx 2015-4200 Brushless.
Castle Creations pheonix 25 ESC.
Kokam 3s 1500.
GWS "B" Gearing Grey Gear Box.
GWS 9X7 prop.

Flight duration: 15-20 minutes scale flying...1/4 throttle
Tons of reserve power, takes off from grass with floats at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle...

For more pictures visit our website at: www.teamtracon.com

Sam

bc-slowflyer
10-26-2006, 06:12 AM
Sam builds the best looking planes.:) ;)

Tracon
10-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks Rod !!! :D

Beverly and I were sorry we missed the Chilliwack Aug Fly-In...

Here's a nice little picture Beverly took of CF-FHB with her new lens:

http://teamtracon.netfirms.com/aircraftgallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/New%20Lens/DSC_0053.jpg

What are you flying these days ??

All the Best...

Sam

trewheeler
10-26-2006, 02:05 PM
That's a sweet looking kite Sam and sounds like it has plenty of power, thanks for the pic!

I'm getting just over 10 minutes with the 850mah lipo doing some rolls and loops. I'm going to go for a 1500mah and do some chopping.

That's a nice "Beaver" - have you put aileron's on it?

Tim

bc-slowflyer
10-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Sam;

Great shot of the CF-FHB. Looks like the new lens is paying off. Tell Beverly that I have one her pictures of your CF-FHB as my background on my computer.
I'm still flying my Mini Edge 540 that I picked up from Gord Wong at the spring fly-in in Chilliwack. My GWS Beaver and E-Starter on floats are still going strong. I have a Brio 10 on the bench just waiting to be built.
Now that I'm retired I don't seem to have the time to get to all the things I want to do. ;) LOL I plan to attend the electric fly-in in Las Vegas on November 11-12.
Any new projects for you?

Rod:)

Quattro
10-26-2006, 02:56 PM
Those planes look great! I was actually looking at a GWS Beaver kit a couple days ago thinking it would be cool with floats.

I had thought to scratchbuild the floats from foam but, are there foam floats available as a kit??

bc-slowflyer
10-26-2006, 03:32 PM
GWS makes the floats for the E-Starter and Beaver. Quite cheap and work very well. Have a look around the forums for more tips on putting the Beaver on floats.

Thanks;
Rod

Quattro
10-26-2006, 07:47 PM
Roger that Rod. After doing some digging I found plans for foamcore floats so I may try that but the GWS do look nice for $10. I'm heading out to maiden my new Ultimate FX 3D so I'll swing by the LHS and pick up a Beaver kit....great looking little plane for a cheapie foamie!:)

Tracon
10-27-2006, 04:05 AM
Rod,

Beverly was wondering which one ??? :)

Sam

ragbag
10-29-2006, 10:57 PM
I don't have one.
Tired of looking at the ad.

trewheeler
11-10-2006, 07:10 PM
My floats are in at the hobby store - wow - $10!! They'll look nice on my Navy E-Starter.

Any advice on building them or are they pretty straightforward?

How do they change the flight charcteristics and do they work ok off of grass?

One more question: if I'm going on water - to what extent do I need to waterproof everything?

Thanks,

Tim

sheetmetalflyer
11-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi guys,

Here's a video of my Estarter on floats.

http://media.putfile.com/New-modified-Estarter

Enjoy
Jay

Maine Flyer
11-23-2006, 09:32 PM
Jay,
Doesn't seem to lack power!!! What power system are you using?

Joe

sheetmetalflyer
11-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Jay,
Doesn't seem to lack power!!! What power system are you using?

Joe

Hi Joe,

Here's my set-up:

Eflite Park 400 outrunner
CC PHX 35 ESC
TP 1320 3S1P
Berg 4L-----------
APC 10x4.7SF

Jay

inverted1
03-07-2007, 05:19 AM
new to site, so far found lots of useful info, but was wondering which would work best for float plane... E-starter or the beav. thanks for any input, Curt

bc-slowflyer
03-07-2007, 07:12 AM
new to site, so far found lots of useful info, but was wondering which would work best for float plane... E-starter or the beav. thanks for any input, Curt

Welcome Curt;

I have both and the E-Starter is by far the better float plane. The Beaver tends to be a little too light and skittish on the water where the E-Starter is well behaved and has no surprises.

Rod

Bill G
03-07-2007, 07:45 AM
The Beaver still looks the best.:D

Bill

bc-slowflyer
03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
The Beaver still looks the best.:D

Bill

Agreed!

inverted1
03-20-2007, 03:14 AM
thanks Rod, Ive ALREADY BUILT THE E-STARTER[ MY SECOND ONE] THE FIRST WAS RETIRED A FEW YEARS AGO BUT DECIDED TO BUILD A FLOAT PLANE. I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT FLOAT PLACEMENT. AS ALWAYS ANY ADVISE WELCOME

Murocflyer
04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
If you can, upgrade to a geared brushless motor (Himax 2015-4100 with C or D gears) and a 10X8 prop or equivalent and 3S 1500 lipo. Two of us have identical planes except one has a stock brushed motor and mine has the Himax. It's like night and day. They are both on floats. Mine loops effortlessly and easy rolls with the floats on!! Take off with the Himax is about 10-15 feet.
Hope this helps.

Rod

This is the exact setup I will be using, but will most likely go with a 11x7 prop using 6.6 gears.

Can't wait until I get it all built and flying.

Frank