PDA

View Full Version : POOF! (Or how to make a Formosa into foam confetti in one easy step)

Twmaster
08-14-2006, 03:52 AM
Well I totaled my Formosa on it's maiden flight today. All seemed to be going well. I took a few flights on some other birds to limber up. Set the low side of the D/R to 35%, gave a control check and tossed the Formosa to the winds. Away it shot like a rocket, throttled down and it just kept trying to roll to the left violently. I fought it and tried to get her under control to no avail. It looked like she was going to fly away so I pushed the nose over and punched it in. :(

The plane is destroyed. The worst part is I ruined a low time Vampower 3 cell 1050 lipo. :( (I'm not too mad about the plane)

http://www.twmaster.com/stuff/dead_formosa.jpg

Grasshopper
08-14-2006, 04:02 AM
Sorry to hear that Mike. If there's any bright side, it might be that you still have 350 unbuilt kits in your closet.

firemanbill
08-14-2006, 04:04 AM
That's too bad Mike:( Sorry to hear it ruined the battery also.

What do you think caused it??? any ideas?

Ribcracker
08-14-2006, 04:10 AM
The airframe's not dead. As Fabricator would say, "That'll buff right out"!
Go ahead, try it.

Twmaster
08-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Thanks guys. I can't say for sure what caused this. I should have brought everything back and done a post mortem with all the gear still in the plane but I just unceremoniously stripped the flight gear out and put the carcass in the trash can. :(

I suspect part of the problem (or maybe most of) was me not being as ready to wrangle her as I thought I was. The wind was intermittently kicking up but I can't in good conscience blame that.

I'd have rather the motor or ESC got killed rather than my battery. One cell is smooshed in badly as the thing went rocketing through the forward fuselage as it split open and hit the back of the motor. The other two cells seem to have a small indent in them but I'm hoping they may be recovered and used as a 2 cell pack.

olmod
08-14-2006, 07:57 AM
soz to see your damage but cant help notice that the prop looks to be a very course pitch.

ForestCam
08-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I've got one just like that in the basement, except mine is red and was hit by a parked backhoe that jumped out of no where!:eek:

edfire
11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
its a shame as the formosa is a seriously good plane,depending on the motor,wind shouldnt be to much of a factor,you may have had a dodgy servo or interference,but i suspect like me when you first flew it,that having the rate set at 35% was a bit low and therefore caused you to have little airleron authority,i nearly stacked mine unilt i turned off the rates,i know it sounds crazy but its actually easier to fly on full rates with around 20% expo,i was scared to death by mine on its maiden,i would say that its worht trying another one if you dont mind deja vue,its probably the best cheap foamy ive ever flown,it tought me to knife edge,dont admit defeat good luck ed:)

Old Fart
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Buy a replacement "slope glider" kit, you'll have a spare wing for the next crash.

If you're programming Exponential, make sure it's _negative_ expo. Sounds stupid - but I've test flown more than a few other folks planes that had it set up backwards :)

Formosa shouldn't take a lot of aileron for "basic flight" - how much deflection is your 35%?