PDA

View Full Version : Multiplex Easystar for AV , anyone?

raynet11
08-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I have been using my stock easystar to haul up my Aiptek IS-DV2 for a few months now, I'm rather pleased with the results and the fact that a stock easystart can actually haul a camera up without a brushless conversion. It's on my wishlist to convert her to brushless but here's proof that you don't have to spend a lot of green to do AV's.. :)

Here's my setup:

Multiplex Easystar (stock )
Great planes Electrifly C-35 brushed ESC
2 HS-55 servos
1 Electron 6 Rx
IBC 1200mah 2/3A 8-cell from cheapbatterypacks.com (in stick configuration)
Aiptek IS-DV2 cam mounted up front with canopy removed.

Video Links:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=raynet11

and

http://putfile.com/raynet11

cheers,
Ray

Derick Veliz
08-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Ray
I think the E* it’s a wonderful plane, easy to fly, easy to build and fix.

I consider it as a backup plane for AP, and if you don't have to climb very aggressive, the E* will do well.

Going brushless will help, the 2 things that make an E* a back up plane for me and not my first choice is that there is not enough clearance for a bigger prop (unless you do more modifications to the motor mount and screw up thrust incidence and change the way the E* flies). and that there isn't a really a good place to mount one of my cameras and point it so that you don't see the wing tip, I know I could place the camera facing forward but that is not very good for AP (at least for me).

Besides that the E* is a superb airplane! Very well designed!

raynet11
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow, great work you have there on your site, I didn't know that one could actually turn the hobby into $$$ .. great job.. !!

cheers,
Ray

Derick Veliz
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Wow, great work you have there on your site, I didn't know that one could actually turn the hobby into $$$ .. great job.. !!

cheers,
Ray

Thanks,
Even I don't do it as a full time job, helps my carrier and gives me the opportunity to travel and get to know a lot of interesting places. And all the fun about flying and photography. :D

Let me know how it goes with your EZ*!

raynet11
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
The EZ is a great plane even after you have moved on to bigger and better, when I'm not taking AV's you can even sometimes find thermals with it (if the wind is low and day is hot) and it's not unusual to have 20min flights with it even on a 1200mah dry cell. Pretty impresive glide for not being a glider.

I'd say It's certainly a cool part time job so say the least, and those photos are so crisp and clear , very nice. I just picked up the E* and the camera just so I could dip my toe and I thought it would be cool to do (and it is :) ) but I would love to build a dedicated AP plane some day. Taking what simple AV's I have done thus far has turned out to be just as much fun as flying pattern or buzzing a heli around the field. It really gives you something to look forward to on your drive home besides unloading the car and spending the next 8hrs swapping lipo's on the charger.

My next project with the AV is to do some up and down river videos , I plan to do a series of short shots and then move further down and do some more, I hope to later go back and splice them together to do a town river tour from the air, it's going to be tough in spots and I may get my feet wet but if it works out it should prove to be very nice.

cheers,
Ray

cheers,
Ray

bugjam1999
08-17-2006, 06:44 PM
reading this thread with interest... and have a question, sorry to gate crash your thread a little...

I have an easystar :) and a digital camera which i'm rigging up to a adjustable timer, figuring thats easier than using a switch, if not as convenient. It's certainly easier :) How did you mount your camera in the easystar? my camera is a thin square shape and fits nicely in the cockpit with the lense looking over the side with the canopy removed.

Although i've test fitted it and i can get it and all the usual suspecs into the cockpit, the extra weight has thrown out the c of g forward rather a lot. Suggestions? Some lead in the tail? I suppose the real question is how much does the camera and lead rebalancing weight add to the all up weight...

ok, just weighed it and the camera weighs 156gms. Add a bit for rebalancing and i'm guestimating an additional 200gms. Will a stock easystar lift that do you think? I have Nihm batterys, not superlight lipos.

Wild guesses, improbable hypotheticals and general comments appreciated...

Thanks, Bugjam