PDA

View Full Version : Chat from AP contest three

Don Sims
07-13-2006, 09:55 PM
OK folks, here's the information needed to go along with your photo entry.

* Your name
* Photo description
* DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN
* Place photo taken
* Aircraft
* Camera

Kosh
07-19-2006, 12:44 AM
Only 33 views? I know its summer time so that means we are all busy with plans but in a 4 week time frame hopefully we can get a fair turnout for this. Tell ya what I'm gonna do, I have a used Quattro lipo charger that goes to the winner of this shipped anywhere. Its a 1 to 4 cells charger that has no settings, Just plug the battery in and push the button. Makes a fine backup or second charger. Perhaps we can get Wattflyer to kick in a few decals as well or ???.
( :D Note well hidden hint :D )

Don Sims
07-19-2006, 02:37 AM
I've asked Mike for some stickers so we'll have them to send out to the winners! But like you, I expected some entries by now!

aviatordave
07-19-2006, 05:21 AM
This weekend guys.....I'll give it a shot, but remember....I live in Iowa so your getting hills, small hills! :p

Dave

<edit....whoah thanks for offering something for the contest Kosh! A+ >

rchawks
07-20-2006, 02:47 AM
I'm in! I'll look thru what I've recently taken but I'll probally make a fresh go of it to get "the shot". It will take a couple of days to post just like what aviatordave said. Having a prize offered is a nice touch.:D

loker
07-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I live in michigan, anyone else? no hills here at all. not for a couple hundred miles. anything else I can take a picture of?

Kosh
07-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Tell ya what, I kinda put this together and don't think to many would mind if we amended the rules a little this time to help those without hills.
With high gas prices there no need to cross state lines just for a few pics right? How about the tallest structure you can find and shoot in your area? Surely there are water towers, grain silos, towering trees, etc ... in your area that worth a flight? While this is a great theme and worthy of its own photos it just seems were leaving lots out of the big picture here.
The way I see it, Enter your photo of something tall if you have no hills and let the people vote on it I say. Great photos speak for them selfs.
Our real goal here is to get people involved in the contest right? Future contests should have and I'm sure will have a more generic goal in mind to include the masses.

Comments are always welcome on this topic, Kosh

loker
07-20-2006, 02:46 PM
sounds good, maybe I'll get the ambassador bridge, or the RENCEN. thanx.

EUT
07-22-2006, 02:08 AM
OK folks, here's the information needed to go along with your photo entry.

* Your name
* Photo description
* DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN
* Place photo taken
* Aircraft
* Camera

What are the dates that the photo must be taken??

aviatordave
07-22-2006, 03:37 AM
4 weeks from July 13th, 2006

Looks like August 10, I dunno......its a little more flexible here, I'm guessing it will end the end of that week (8/12/2006) ?

Lets see what Kosh and Don think.......

Dave (I hope to have mine by this weekend...)

Kosh
07-22-2006, 07:28 AM
After checking the calender lets run this till midnight Sunday August 13 and vote till the end of the month August 31st. Hopefully we can get a new contest each month starting on the 1st and ending the 25th with voting the rest of that month. Can anyone see any problems with this idea or anything I over looked? Feedback is more than welcome !!!

Don Sims
07-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a plan, it's up to you folks!

rchawks
07-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Are updates allowed before end of contest, or are entrys a one shot deal. Either way would be fine with me.:D

Don Sims
07-28-2006, 03:22 AM
Update as many times as you would like. Whatever photo you have here at the end of the contest is the entry.

TeslaWinger
07-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Nicely done! I agree that a great picture can be made in even the most plain vanilla of terrain- but cameras don't make pictures... light does.

Lucky for us that, like thermals, Magic Light occurs all over- for me in the mornings and Golden Hour before sunset... just not always when you want it!

It sure is hard to top magnificent terrain and tropical paradises but we'll see what we can do to keep up with the Jones's.

A local RC AP guy hit the Sunday paper a coupla weeks ago in Greenville SC. Got a nice near-page full of color aerial pictures of estates and corporate properties. Heres the link to a video of him.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/VIDEO/60720004

Here's the page to the article. Roll down one screen and hit the Photo Gallery link under his picture. It starts with the new baseball stadium in GV.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/VIDEO/60720004

Stickers are cool... but call your local TV station and see if you can get some airtime in an RF sense!

TW

tahustvedt
07-31-2006, 11:08 AM
I have a good photo that I took on saturday evening. I don't have internet access at home becasue I have moved house the past few weeks and can't upload pictures from work so I hope I will get internett access soon. :)

Rugar
07-31-2006, 08:03 PM
I have a good photo that I took on saturday evening. I don't have internet access at home becasue I have moved house the past few weeks and can't upload pictures from work so I hope I will get internett access soon. :)

If you don't get access at home before the contests ends, e-mail me the pic from your work PC and I will post it for you. Send me a PM and I will give you my E-Mail Addy.

Ridgetop
08-02-2006, 05:06 AM
Steve, good to see another one of your great photos. I see you are using the Canon 620, are you using AA bats or another power source and how do you like it (weight, pic quality etc.)?

Larry

Steve Nolan (eBird)
08-02-2006, 05:24 AM
That was actually the maiden flight of the camera, using AA's for now but plan on powering from flight battery.
Love the cam, it's a heavy beast but photos are very crisp.

TexasRCFlyer
08-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Thats a really neat photo, I would love to see that same photo during a sold out crowd.

well there's no hills around here, but that crane I am told is over 400 feet, and the stadium is nice to look at.

* Your name: Matt
* Photo description: the crane is really tall!
* DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN: July 14
* Place photo taken: Ann Arbor, MI
* Aircraft: Slowstick
* Camera: Canon

vax6335
08-02-2006, 06:08 AM
I just bought a new digital camera, and I want to hook it up to my Slow Stick, but I don't think I could get it going in time for this contest. Hopefully the next one will come soon, hint, hint.....

Besides, I live in flat Indiana...

Kosh
08-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Hey Vax, This runs till the 15th so you might make it yet. The rules were modified for this to include anything tall in your area. If all goes well the next contest will be September 1st to the 21st.

loker
08-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I'd like to see the stadium too, but the goodyear blimp has priority those days, I don't think it would be taken well.

Ridgetop
08-03-2006, 12:04 AM
loker
That is one ugly picture.:) I was at the Rose Bowl when Michigan beat my team (WSU).:( Still haven't got the taste out of my mouth.:D

Crash with Pride
08-06-2006, 01:58 AM
http://C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Camera Work\4th flight\Up the River 7 23 06.jpgHere's one of my first attempts at AP. I started out with a very cheap little digital camera, $25.00, but the results were unsatisfactory. This time I used a Nikon Coolpix L4 ( 4Mp ). This was taken on 7/23/06 from the school soccer field that I fly from. The Aircraft was a Hobby Lobby Miss Stick Senior with the camera mounting box rubber-banded to the Fuse at the C.G. This was taken in Southern Oregon, in beautiful, downtown Murphy, just a little south of Grants Pass. The camera and mount, with servo weigh in a just a little over 6oz. I was a little worried about Miss Stick's ability to hoist that much weight ,so I first had a test flight with the appropriate amount of lead fishing sinkers taped to her side and she did'nt mind the extra cargo at all.
Jon

Ira
08-06-2006, 06:41 AM
Been seeing this pic in my head for a long time. It's quite a relief to get it out of there so everyone else can see it.

Don Sims
08-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Lots of great photos! We appreciate you taking the time to post them!!

Aug 13th is the deadline....

Kosh
08-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Theres still time to get those photos in or change your entry before the deadline. Overall I think this has gone ok and were getting the bugs worked out for the September 1st contest. Some of your stuff is VERY impressive and makes me look like the rookie I am at this. :o
You guys rock !!! :D

Thanks for sharing on Wattflyer, Kosh

adhoc
08-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh well... I was planning to get a good one of Mt Rainier, but since my AP bird crashed (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9100) (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9100%29), and I've been distracted by a job interview this week, and now my wife's out of town and I gotta take care of the kids, yadda yadda, it just isn't going to happen... So I'll focus (pun intended) on next month's contest...

Some really excellent entries here! Wow... great job everyone!

Crash with Pride
08-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Did I mention I haven't a clue as to what I am doing???

* Your name Left Coast Larry
* Photo description Sunset over the coastal range
* DATE PHOTO WAS TAKEN 8-10-06
* Place photo taken Willits CA
* Aircraft P&SS
* Camera Point & Shoot video camera

Hope I did this right.

Larry,
What is a P&SS aircraft, -- I get the SS part, - slow stick right ? But what is the P part?
Jon
BTW, Beautiful Picture!

rahtware
08-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Larry,
What is a P&SS aircraft, -- I get the SS part, - slow stick right ? But what is the P part?
Jon
BTW, Beautiful Picture!

CWP aka jon

Not a Slow Stick. It stands for "Point & Shoot Special", my first attempt at an AP design specificaly for the Point & Shoot video cam from Pure Digital. I love this little camera and the firmware that comes with it.

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Very Nice Don!

Don E
08-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Very Nice Don!
Thanks. Now that you have your Magpie up, no better way to practice than to enter contests. I love seeing other parts of the world I would'nt get to see otherwise.

Think about it,
Don

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 05:06 AM
I'm sure I'll post some entries just for grins and giggles.

aviatordave
08-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Don,

Wow, Ohio does have a hill! or a bluff? thats a neat picture. was that close to you or did you have to drive?

Dave

Don E
08-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Don,

Wow, Ohio does have a hill! or a bluff? thats a neat picture. was that close to you or did you have to drive?

Dave

Had to drive about a mile and a half. :) Was the best I could come up with without going an hour or more.

Don