PDA

View Full Version : Alpha P-47D Razorback Review

Bigfoot21075
08-16-2006, 06:49 PM
Intermediate Pilots Review of the Alpha P-47D Razorback with the Blue MP Jet motor and a ThunderPower 1320 Battery.

I will not go into the build, that was REALLY easy and went VERY well - One note from my last disaster a year ago with the non razor back version of the same plane - FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and correctly balance the plane and set the Expo as directed on the transmitter. Nuff Said

Today is a great day for flying, 5mph head wind, sunny day. Fully charged batteries and two buddys to help. Fire it up about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, have friend toss it in the air at about a 10degree angle. The plane LEAPS into the air and is off and flying! after about a minute it is trimmed out - time to see if this thing can move out of its own way. Actually - it already is the fastest RC plane i had ever flown at that point - That is until I pegged the throttle, holy smokes this thing screams! It handles like it is on rails. This thing can do unnatural acts! Did everything I could think of acrobatics wise then started practicing its low speed manners - WOW this plane is light and handles GREAT at very low speed, after 8 minutes I dropped it in for a nice gentle landing.

An AMAZING aircraft, before this the fastest plane I had was my 11.1v Lipo powered Tiger Moth 400. The Alpha is a GREAT handling, FUN plane!

Now I want to add a Corsair to the party! Thanks for everyones input!

alienx
08-16-2006, 07:09 PM
Intermediate Pilots Review of the Alpha P-47D Razorback with the Blue MP Jet motor and a ThunderPower 1320 Battery.

I will not go into the build, that was REALLY easy and went VERY well - One note from my last disaster a year ago with the non razor back version of the same plane - FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS and correctly balance the plane and set the Expo as directed on the transmitter. Nuff Said

Today is a great day for flying, 5mph head wind, sunny day. Fully charged batteries and two buddys to help. Fire it up about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, have friend toss it in the air at about a 10degree angle. The plane LEAPS into the air and is off and flying! after about a minute it is trimmed out - time to see if this thing can move out of its own way. Actually - it already is the fastest RC plane i had ever flown at that point - That is until I pegged the throttle, holy smokes this thing screams! It handles like it is on rails. This thing can do unnatural acts! Did everything I could think of acrobatics wise then started practicing its low speed manners - WOW this plane is light and handles GREAT at very low speed, after 8 minutes I dropped it in for a nice gentle landing.

An AMAZING aircraft, before this the fastest plane I had was my 11.1v Lipo powered Tiger Moth 400. The Alpha is a GREAT handling, FUN plane!

Now I want to add a Corsair to the party! Thanks for everyones input!

Good job! What prop do you have on that motor? I wanted the Razorback too but didn't know it was going to be available so soon. So I bought the bubble top. Haven't flown it yet.

Bigfoot21075
08-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Good job! What prop do you have on that motor? I wanted the Razorback too but didn't know it was going to be available so soon. So I bought the bubble top. Haven't flown it yet.

i am running a 9 x 6 Slow flyer prop from Hobby Lobby (Painted Black of course).

The bubble top was my first one that was killed on maiden last year by an errant light pole and an inexperience rc pilot :rolleyes:

alienx
08-16-2006, 09:13 PM
i am running a 9 x 6 Slow flyer prop from Hobby Lobby (Painted Black of course).

The bubble top was my first one that was killed on maiden last year by an errant light pole and an inexperience rc pilot :rolleyes:

Yea, everyone likes that 9x6. That makes like 167 watts/lb in my house. More power than I wanted. I use (used) the 8x6 on my Mustang prior to last Saturday morning. Now it doesn't need a prop. But it flew very very well on that. I actually thought of going back to the original 9x4.7 I was using to try to get more scale characteristics out of it. Even that prop was strong enough to do loops pretty well.

Did you have any issues getting to the battery when the plane was balanced? My P51 and P47 both required putting the battery out of or nearly out of reach. To be fair though, I have a 400XT in the P47. It weighs a claimed 1/2 oz less than the blue MP Jet, so I'm sure that factored into the balance equation. What battery are you running too? Any pics of the open hatch with the battery istalled?

Thanks. Andy

Bigfoot21075
08-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Yea, everyone likes that 9x6. That makes like 167 watts/lb in my house. More power than I wanted. I use (used) the 8x6 on my Mustang prior to last Saturday morning. Now it doesn't need a prop. But it flew very very well on that. I actually thought of going back to the original 9x4.7 I was using to try to get more scale characteristics out of it. Even that prop was strong enough to do loops pretty well.

Did you have any issues getting to the battery when the plane was balanced? My P51 and P47 both required putting the battery out of or nearly out of reach. To be fair though, I have a 400XT in the P47. It weighs a claimed 1/2 oz less than the blue MP Jet, so I'm sure that factored into the balance equation. What battery are you running too? Any pics of the open hatch with the battery istalled?

Thanks. Andy

No balance issues, I am running the Thunder Power 1320 3 cell lipo. Actually my battery is as far back as the hole that the nylon screw goes into that holds on the wing. I also reversed the motor mount on the blue jet to bring the motor in closer to the firewall per directions I saw on E-zone. I have the ESC hot glued to the underside of the wood tray and the receiver on the fuse just to the back of the wood tray. I will try to get pics today