PDA

View Full Version : Possum Skull

Ribcracker
08-17-2006, 03:23 AM
I found a dead opossum in my yard last spring and thought I'd like to have his skull for my animal skull collection. I know, I know....but I saw such a collection in a nature center and thought it was so cool that I started my own. Actually, I collect a lot of cool stuff from the outdoors.
Anyway, I took the possum back into the woods and laid him out on a rock pile to have nature clean him up for me. A day later, he had been cached by another animal...covered over with sticks and leaves. I was hoping he wouldn't get scattered about. But then I didn't check on him for a good while because he didn't smell so good.
By July, most of the beetle work was done. A few days ago, I checked it out and the skull looked clean so I brought it back to the house and soaked it in a bucket of bleach water overnight then let it dry in the sun. The mandible had become seperated because all the connective tissue was gone. But I wanted to display his fearsome teeth so I decided to glue the mandible halves together and then glue it to the skull. After studying it for a while to make sure things were lined up perfectly, I held the jaw in place and wicked in some thin CA (fast-setting super glue.) I held the whole affair together for a couple of minutes. When I went to set it down...well, it wouldn't leave my hand. Surreptitiously, much of the thin glue soaked on through to two of my fingers. After struggling for a few seconds, it became clear that this was a serious matter. I opened a bottle of acetone that I kept on the bench for cleaning up sloppy glue joints and soaked the affected area. No effect! My struggling started to peel my skin back and I started to panic. I ran upstaires with the possum skull stuck in my hand and told my wife I was in trouble.
"Alas, poor Yorick". She started to laugh so I gave her a stern look and she said, "Okay, lets try soaking it in hot water."
After ten minutes, I still wasn't free. I looked up at her with what was surely a look of alarm. She stoically tried to stifle her laughter but couldn't do it. I said, "It's really not that funny!" She bravely tried to straighten her face but then she said, "Hello, emergency? My husband has glued his hand to an opossum head".
"Oh...Hi, Mrs. Beeler. Haven't heard from you in a while".
After much kneading, twisting, and peeling, the skull started to soften and it began to let go. And then I was free. An incredible sense of relief washed over me and erased the pain of my torn skin...at least for a moment. Believe me, you don't want to give your skin to a possum skull. I hereby advise against it.
I put the skull back outside. Maybe I'll fool with it some other time. Right now, I don't even want to look at it.
It looks formidable. All those teeth!

adhoc
08-17-2006, 05:30 AM
Har, this is great!!

Of course, none of the rest of us would ever do anything like that... oh, no... ;)

Thanks for sharing, Rib... :)

p.s. I found myself mentally paraphrasing your signature line to "It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to do and then don't do it."

p.p.s. In my case, I'm great at the first part, but lousy at the second... :p

Don Sims
08-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Roflmao! :d