PDA

View Full Version : Using an easystar as a photography platform... a question or two!

bugjam1999
08-18-2006, 02:46 PM
This is similar to a reply i posted on another thread... realised that people might not see it in it's original position...

I have an easystar :) and a digital camera which i'm rigging up to a adjustable timer, figuring thats easier than using a switch, if not as convenient. It's certainly easier :) Any suggestions for mounting a camera in/on an easystar? my camera is a thin square shape and fits nicely in the cockpit with the lense looking over the side with the canopy removed.

Although i've test fitted it and i can get it and all the usual suspecs into the cockpit, the extra weight has thrown out the c of g forward rather a lot. Suggestions? Some lead in the tail? I suppose the real question is how much does the camera and lead rebalancing weight add to the all up weight...

ok, just weighed it and the camera weighs 156gms. Add a bit for rebalancing and i'm guestimating an additional 180gms. Will a stock easystar lift that do you think? I have Nihm batterys, not superlight lipos.

Wild guesses, improbable hypotheticals and general comments appreciated...

Thanks, Bugjam

Kosh
08-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Looks like your on the right track here and took care of your own questions. I would use a 180 to 200 gms dummy weight on CG first and see how the plane handles in the air. Does your camera have a sports mode? If so test it on the ground and see if the camera will keep shooting. A rubber band over the camera with pencil eraser pushing on the shutter button is all thats really needed. You just have to worry about flying the plane then and let the camera do its thing. :)

bugjam1999
08-18-2006, 08:42 PM
just give it a shot then? will try it at the biggest local field... that is conveniently also the smoothest :)

the camera does have a sports mode, but i can't access it anymore :( i landed on the camera last winter whilst snowboarding and the screen is broken! the camera works perfectly, just the screen is useless. Thats why i don't mind sending it up in a plane... and also why i didn't mind taking it to pieces and soldering extra wires onto the shutter switch contacts. Those wires now exit through a new drilled hole in the case and when touched together, the camera takes a photo. A 4 timer kit from Maplins with adjustable pulse length and frequency of pulses will handle making it take photos. Not exactly convenient, i'll just have to look at the contents of the card when i get home, but hey, this whole project will have cost me 4 and a bit of time...

and might be a right laugh!

cheers, Bugjam

Kosh
08-19-2006, 06:36 AM
Go for it, If the stock motor wont provide enough power to make you happy it can be swapped out for a 480 motor very easy. One of my friends uses a brushed 480 in his and it will even take off from the ground with camera onboard. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

bugjam1999
08-19-2006, 11:32 PM
ok, will do. The timer unit for the camera is on order from maplins but i dont' think it'll arrive in time for me to do anything with it before going on holiday for a couple of weeks from wednesday... so i'll have to play with it when i get back.

in my parts box I have a jeti 350 ESC and a brushed 480 motor that i picked up from ebay before finding a complete used easystar so if the standard 400 can't handle it...

will let you know.

bugjam.