PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about the Alfa Wildcat.

AC Mechanic
08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
HI
I was wondering the best way to balance this little guy? Anyone have some tips, or have built this model and how you got the CG on? Also my ailerons move full travel but my elevator very little, would a adjustment on my pots on the transmitter do the trick?

Thanks

Sky Sharkster
08-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Hi AC, Welcome to Wattflyer! I don't have the Wildcat but will try to answer your questions in a general way; There's a thread here
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5469&highlight=center+of+gravity
Regarding how to find the correct center of gravity. Posts # 6 + 7 will likely be the most useful for the 'Cat.
About the elevator throw, first off, is the amount you're getting equal to the recommended throws? If so, that should be enough. Most planes, but especially low-winged fighters, are pretty sensitive to pitch changes and a little elevator deflection goes a long way.
It the throws don't equal the recommended amount, or there is no deflection amount quoted and you feel it's not moving enough, my last suggestion would be to fool with the radio (assuming you don't have a TX travel-limiting function that's already set to a low rate). First try the mechanical adjustments;
Elevator servo; Is the pushrod in the outer hole of the servo control arm?
If so, can you find a longer arm?
Elevator Control Horn; Is the pushrod clevis in the innermost hole?
These two adjustments equal the maximum elevator travel available mechanically with the equipment you now have on the plane. Again, I'm assuming the servo is traveling the full amount i.e. not being limited by the TX.
Hope this helps!
Ron

AC Mechanic
08-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your responce, i will check those items and make nessasary adjustments. Thanks again!

Mslpc
08-20-2006, 05:11 AM
Mike Llewellyn's review of this airplane is better than the manufacturer's. The balance points are molded into the bottom of the wing, unusual but this is a mid wing aircraft. Anchoring the pushrod tubes just behind the servo will make a difference. This is a slippery airplane and has to be flown all the time. I'm on my second one.

Mslpc
08-20-2006, 05:13 AM
Mike Llewellyn's review of this airplane is better than the manufacturer's. The balance points are molded into the bottom of the wing, unusual but this is a mid wing aircraft. Anchoring the pushrod tubes just behind the servo will make a difference. This is a slippery airplane and has to be flown all the time. I'm on my second one.1

rcers
08-21-2006, 03:38 AM
Thanks Mslpc!

I love my little Wildcat! You will need to balance it inverted, even with the mid wing placement.

Mine was exactly on the recommendation and it flew great.

You MUST secure the pushrod tube ends for proper elevator funtion...

This may help:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524087

Mike

Mslpc
08-21-2006, 04:53 AM
Since the balance points are molded into the bottom of the wing I found it easier to balance right side up. several of my firends have found it so too. As long as it is balanced it flies quite well, but needs constant attention. As you point out the pushrod ends must be secured.

Mike