PDA

View Full Version : Stock Easy Star - Onboard Crash, Flight, Land Video

darenm
08-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Good Morning WF,
Here's a video I just shot with a really heavy stock easy star. You can see in the picture that I'm using a hugh 8 Cell, 2100 battery & a big Camera. That explains the crash at the beginning of the video. :( No damage, Get back into posistion and a harder thow. It gets up! woohoo. She gains altitude very slow and I had to dodge alot of Light poles & wires. But I was able to spec her out, Cut the motor & glide back down. The landing is the best part of the video, She comes in really fast. I have to dodge more light poles, go over a gorge w/ water, but I can't come in to low, cause i have to get over a bob wire fence. Let me know what you think. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkvOufBxU4
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePtIoXDKW-Y)
working on the crash video now, it has some glitches.

HoggZilla
08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
You could tell that she was working hard in the beginning, but after that it was a smooth flight. You did a good job of keeping the plane banked to show us the ground. The landing looked very good, smooth. Cant tell you were fighting any obstacles.

Good work.

bugjam1999
08-19-2006, 11:27 PM
i'm about to do somethign very similar... how much does your camera weigh? how did you balance out the camera weight to maintain the correct c of g?

have a feeling that my flights with camera on board are going to be similar: ie it'll fly, but not exactly like a rocket...

nice flight tho, hundreds of lights poles to avoid!

bugjam

darenm
08-19-2006, 11:30 PM
I didn't add any weight at all. She was very NOSE heavy! She flies great once up, just a little faster. The hard part is just getting her up.

Here's an uncompressed 4 Meg version of just the landing.
http://dmanson.googlepages.com/Landing.avi

Here's the crash video. Just watch the 1st part. The rest is very choppy for some reason
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ePtIoXDKW-Y

Air Trucker
03-28-2007, 01:32 AM
I use a video camera on top of canp and a two cell lipo batt. gets about 15 min fly time and still at easy take off weight. and not nose heavy. Max

Crash9
03-28-2007, 07:16 PM
Nice viideos darenm. Hey Max. I weighed your camera last night and it's 6.4oz:eek: . These Easy Stars sure can handle a payload even with stock set up:) .

Air Trucker
03-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Darn I or we didn;t think it weigh that much. But I think we have it set up right. Because, everyone I read has handling problem. You think?

Flyer 1
03-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Darn I or we didn;t think it weigh that much. But I think we have it set up right. Because, everyone I read has handling problem. You think?
No handling problems with mine - you simply have to use more control movement to achieve your tight turns, etc.. The plane's flying much faster than without the camera weight, so you'll need to speed your reflexes up quite a bit. Practicing with a dummy camera weight does this very well.
One thing to be certain of BEFORE you even try flying with the dummy weight is to be CERTAIN you have room to LAND your EZ! That little schoolyard you might be using that's fine for stock flights may be WAY to small to handle the speed of the AP setup.
I've found I can use all the same fields, but instead of landing normally I begin a tight spiral about 50 yards up - coming down into the center of the field, then straightening out at roughly 5-10 feet for the landing. If you don't do this you're likely to overshoot the landing site (sometimes by a looong way).
Flyer

Flyer 1
03-30-2007, 11:09 PM
How ironic, that I wrote what I did above!
Today was a perfect day - low seventies, lowish winds. I grabbed my EZ and headed down to my little schoolyard for a quick video.
Well, the fact that the last time I'd flown the EZ there it was in the low thirties never crossed my mind. I was too busy enjoying the weather.
Guess what? When the temperature JUMPS over 40 degrees... planes fly FASTER! Sheeeeeesh!
That flight scared the dickens out of me. Instead of a fast climb to altitude, I was busily keeping the plane in as tight a loop as possible to avoid nailing trees on every side. It just didn't have TIME to reach altitude - not while continuously in a near death-spiral! It was as if I were flying a very fast ducted fan in a basketball court.
I managed to cut power and land. Rather than accept defeat, I retreated to the very end of the field and launched again - this time flying straight ahead to get that altitude. I BARELY made it, but did get up there.
Then - the wind picked up. My EZ MUST have hit 70 mph on it's flybys at 300 feet or so - I've never seen the danged plane go so fast. It's never needed so much gliding room for landing, either - I had to force it down before it crossed into the street.
Ahem! Methinks it's SlowStick time down there from now on!
Flyer