PDA

View Full Version : Blueberries

Ribcracker
08-20-2006, 02:54 AM
My wife and I recently spent a week camping up by Grayling, Mich. We were in the Kneff Lake National Forest campground about 10 miles east of town. It's a very quiet and peaceful setting. Kneff lake is a small sandy bottomed lake with no boat launch so it is practically un-used...perfect for snorkeling. Not much to see on the sandy bottom, though.
About a hundred yards down a trail from our campsight we discovered a patch of wild blueberries. Actually patch isn't the right word because that suggests that there was an end to it. We ate our way down the hill till our hands were sticky, and our lips painted. We gathered blueberries by the handful and had them with every meal. What a jackpot!
And the stars...Man, you would have loved it. The stars were so thick that there were no dark spaces between them and they were just as thick at the horizon as they were overhead. And so bright that they cast moonless shadows. We were amazed at the amount of space junk up there. You couldn't look up without seeing a satellite coursing across the sky and sometimes 2 or 3 intersecting each other's paths. When the moon eventually rose, the night was as bright as noon on an overcast day.
And calm. The smoke from the campfire rose straight up and I remembered that Grandpa Beeler used to build a newspaper balloon (or parachute) and send it skyward on the heat column. We tried all manner of configurations but couldn't get it right. Do any of you remember the secret?
And cold. It went into the middle 30s one night forcing me to discover...that the furnace in our little camper doesn't work. A revolting development! Sunrise brought plenty of warmth but it was a rough night.
Anyway, it was a peaceful time. I wish some of y'all could have been around the fire with us.
Peace,
Bud (and Chris)

firemanbill
08-20-2006, 03:00 AM
sounds like it was awesome Bud! Your descriptions almost made me feel like I was there!

Times like that are the ones you remember forever.:D Sorry I can't help ya with the newspaper balloon though...:( let us know if you figure it out, sounds neat.

ForestCam
08-20-2006, 04:26 AM
A friend used to build them out of tissue paper, thin wire and a candle. Made one once that was about 10' tall from what he tells me.

Going to be dragging the camper out over Labor Day and heading over towards Ionia. We tend to stay within 40 miles of home with the price of gas what it is and not to mention the camp site rental. Wasn't that long ago that I remember renting a hotel room for less then $30 a night! :eek:

Oh and as far as the busted heater, you're not supposed to need one, if ya know what I mean. ;)

vax6335
08-20-2006, 05:29 AM
That sounds fun, I love camping. I'll have to remember where that is and make a trek up there sometime.

BradT
08-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Two weeks ago, I was over near the Alberta border, in the Rockies, and ran into a patch of blues like that. Met a lady picking some there too, and she was wearing her "Bear Bells", which was a good idea, as I had seen a pretty big Blackie just a few minutes before getting there. I'm heading back there in mid-Oct. on a hunting trip; it's certainly a beautiful area, with lots of game, but it's almost 1,000 km. from my home, so it's 10 hours drive, and about $500 in gas for the round trip in my 1T pickup. Scary thought!
Brad.

TLyttle
08-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Yeah, how do you tell a black bear from a grizzly? You can hear the bells in the belly of the grizzly...

BradT
08-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah, how do you tell a black bear from a grizzly? You can hear the bells in the belly of the grizzly...

And his breath smells of bear spray!!!!!

FinnFlyer
08-21-2006, 04:27 PM
My wife and I recently spent a week camping up by Grayling, Mich. We were in the Kneff Lake National Forest campground about 10 miles east of town. It's a very quiet and peaceful setting. Kneff lake is a small sandy bottomed lake with no boat launch so it is practically un-used...perfect for snorkeling. Not much to see on the sandy bottom, though.
About a hundred yards down a trail from our campsight we discovered a patch of wild blueberries. Actually patch isn't the right word because that suggests that there was an end to it. We ate our way down the hill till our hands were sticky, and our lips painted. We gathered blueberries by the handful and had them with every meal. What a jackpot!
And the stars...Man, you would have loved it. The stars were so thick that there were no dark spaces between them and they were just as thick at the horizon as they were overhead. And so bright that they cast moonless shadows. We were amazed at the amount of space junk up there. You couldn't look up without seeing a satellite coursing across the sky and sometimes 2 or 3 intersecting each other's paths. When the moon eventually rose, the night was as bright as noon on an overcast day.
And calm. The smoke from the campfire rose straight up and I remembered that Grandpa Beeler used to build a newspaper balloon (or parachute) and send it skyward on the heat column. We tried all manner of configurations but couldn't get it right. Do any of you remember the secret?
And cold. It went into the middle 30s one night forcing me to discover...that the furnace in our little camper doesn't work. A revolting development! Sunrise brought plenty of warmth but it was a rough night.
Anyway, it was a peaceful time. I wish some of y'all could have been around the fire with us.
Peace,
Bud (and Chris)

That makes me home-sick for the U.P.:(

Especially since I don't think I'll make it up this year to visit.:(

LannyG
08-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Around here we have Blackberries. Fantastic! My aunt would bake a blackberry pie if I could get enough. There were plenty but I would always eat most of them.
The best starry night I've ever seen was on top of Mt. Shasta at 14.162 feet. Innumerable stars! The only way you could tell the black rock ridges from the black sky was that there were so many starts that the gendarmes of the ridges were silhouetted against the field of stars.
Bears are always fun to see. This one was right next to the busy trail around Convict lake in the Eastern Sierra. Not 20 feet away.

TLyttle
08-24-2006, 04:10 AM
Mmmm, balckberries... When I lived on the Coast, I had a patch in my backyard, and I pampered them. Result was that in August, I would go into the back yard, pick a soupbowl of them (some as big as your thumb!), mix a batch of pancake batter, pour half the berries into the mix and cook 'em. Throw the rest onto the 'cakes, a bit of syrup (not much), breakfast fit for royalty!! Mmmmm... Hungry yet?

LannyG
08-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Mmmm, balckberries... When I lived on the Coast, I had a patch in my backyard, and I pampered them. Result was that in August, I would go into the back yard, pick a soupbowl of them (some as big as your thumb!), mix a batch of pancake batter, pour half the berries into the mix and cook 'em. Throw the rest onto the 'cakes, a bit of syrup (not much), breakfast fit for royalty!! Mmmmm... Hungry yet?
Oh man! Why did I never think of that! I'm going out right now and see if there are some left down by the creek that haven't dried up yet.