PDA

View Full Version : VMAR Bird Dog

ernest harvey
09-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi all ,have just brought a VMAR bird dog, i donot know how they make them for that price, if any one has one and knows any quirks would be glad to know am putting electric outrunner up front .
Thanks for all the comments and threads read th new ones every night
Regard Ernest in uk

WWI Ace
09-07-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm curious about how good of a plane it is also. Let us know what you think when it comes in. Better yet, post some pics for us!!!

E-Challenged
09-12-2005, 12:52 AM
The Dumas kit is laser cut and is one of Pat Tritles R/C assist scale designs. The fly realistically slow and land light with GWS IPS DXA power but you can build in ailerons and use small brushless motors. They fly well on a GWS IPS gearbox with a Faigao 12mm brushless IPS replacement motor. There are a number of similar Pat Tritle designs about to come out of the Dumas pipeline including a Cessna 120/140 and a Waco YMF-5 bipe.

weldman
09-12-2005, 04:25 AM
Ernest,

I purchased one of the old Vmar Piper Cubs( electric version- listed in Model Airplane News, Jan 2002 page 74) about 4yrs ago, WS 54" speed 400 geared. This plane kit was maded in Vietnam, the instructions direct and pieces went into place without any problems.

ernest harvey
09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the feed back i have had time to look closely at the bird dog and am impressed, can some one advise on an out runner for the above dont much like gear boxes, also where can i find info to post pictures on this thread? being rather in advanced years (like that) and i will try and post a build run thanks again Ernest uk

watt_the?!
09-28-2005, 03:31 AM
ernest, what are the specs of the plane? even a web link would be fine...then can assist in the spec for power.

tim.

Duster52
10-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Please! Where are you getting these planes? I don't have a clue what you are talking about and I am interested. I think.:)

Link please!

simibill
10-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Bird Dog & other neat stuff at http://www.richmondrc.com/frameset.htm

WWI Ace
10-08-2005, 10:49 PM
How about some pictures of an actual plane? I really don't trust some of the "photos" they show in ads!!!

watt_the?!
10-08-2005, 10:57 PM
actually i saw it recently at my LHS. looks great and they are all raving about it.

My LHS offers it as a RTF also.

Tim.

WWI Ace
10-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Yeah but I would still like to see pictures of the actual plane. There are not any at my LHS. Anybody help me out here?

ernest harvey
10-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Sorry i have not elaborated on the B/dog have been busy ,ok i have now got the power plant a het Typhoon 15/10 from E Flight super service ,Have found two things that builders should be aware of
1....the cowl is very thin and mine has split
2....Please watch the dihedral as the dihedral brace is ok but the wing struts will be to long.
other than that the kit is great value and can not be faulted at this price i paid 44 for mine ,i am trying to ket the plane ready for a trip to Devon South West of England to friends who have a farm so lets hope the weather is ok
Sorry about pics will try and up load some soon .
Still need some practice to upload
Thanks to all the people who give all the free information on the forum Ernie /uk

qban_flyer
10-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Sorry i have not elaborated on the B/dog have been busy ,ok i have now got the power plant a het Typhoon 15/10 from E Flight super service ,Have found two things that builders should be aware of
1....the cowl is very thin and mine has split
2....Please watch the dihedral as the dihedral brace is ok but the wing struts will be to long.
other than that the kit is great value and can not be faulted at this price i paid £44 for mine ,i am trying to ket the plane ready for a trip to Devon South West of England to friends who have a farm so lets hope the weather is ok
Sorry about pics will try and up load some soon .
Still need some practice to upload
Thanks to all the people who give all the free information on the forum Ernie /uk

I have assembled three of the V-Mar ARFs, for the money they can't be beat. The L-19 sells for $79.95 USD and it is a bargain. When they are having one of their crazy sales, you can buy one and get another model of equal or less value @ 50% off, or get a 60 size Stick for $80! I have no clue as to how well they will do when "electrocuted" as the thread starter plans to do with his, especially with what I call dual purpose models (e-flight & glow).

The quality of the product is what I would call average, especially when it comes to the covering material. I find it has the feel of kitchen shelf paper and at times the colors "run" once fuel gets to it (something hard to prevent when you are flying glow). The covering material is also "heavy", feels "rubbery" and requires a lot of heat to re-shrink it.

If they were using different materials when they cover the models, perhaps I would give them a well above average rating, though that would probably force them to raise their prices. I have not dealt with them in almost two years now as I stopped flying glow altogether.

WWI Ace
10-19-2005, 02:24 AM
Send more pictures!!!!!

qban_flyer
10-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Send more pictures!!!!!

I haven't seen any pictures posted yet. If there are some, where are they?

ernest harvey
10-19-2005, 02:28 PM
hi B/Dog fans i need help ,all my pictures are way above the limit to up load now how do i get them down to the limit i have tried using pix resizer but cant make it work for me HELP!!!!! please remember i am of advanced years well my body tells so but the brain has not grown up so any help would be welcome Thanks again for interest am looking forward to the first flight chow Ernest

watt_the?!
10-19-2005, 09:45 PM
send them to me and ill resize and post them for you.

tim.

ernest harvey
10-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Nick can you give me your E address
From ernest.harvey@virgin.net

watt_the?!
10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
heres the pics

ernest harvey
10-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Thank you nick must get the hang of posting (hate to bother other people) thanks again Ernest uk

watt_the?!
10-23-2005, 08:09 PM
who's Nick?
:D

qban_flyer
10-24-2005, 02:18 AM
heres the pics

I'll say, that's a mighty fine looking L-19, all it needs is for the landing gear "legs" to be a bit dressier.

Definitely nicer looking than the photos of the one featured on V-Mar's web site. :) :) :)

Duster52
10-24-2005, 02:21 AM
That's a great looking plane! I have to get one! It would be easy to do a little more scale work to finish it.

qban_flyer
10-24-2005, 02:27 AM
That's a great looking plane! I have to get one! It would be easy to do a little more scale work to finish it.

I agree with you absolutely. And when we consider the price, the thing is truly a bargain!

ernest harvey
10-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Sorry Tim (shows the age) many thanks Ernest u/k

turnwaldw
10-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Always wanted one of those very nice looking plane.
Dave

ernest harvey
11-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Sorry for no.news the flying program was curtailed due to very bad weather in Devon uk the airplanes never left car for 5 days the Bird Dog is ready to go and i will report later we now have very cold weather in southern england . also have a Red Baron mustang to first flight so will coment on that , thank you all for the great news and comments Ernest

crashmaster
11-24-2005, 02:23 AM
Just put an order in for the BD. Nobody has elaborated on motors and lipos for this bird, thats bird dog!! Any additional building tips??
Thanks, Ron in hurricane country. That be Fl..:confused:

simibill
11-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Why didn't you go with the bundle motor,ESC, etc.?

crashmaster
12-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Received the BD a few days ago and it does look great. Kit was nicely boxed with 4 or 5 individual ziploc bags with some titles on the bags. Construction looks fine and the covering only had a few very minor wrinkes in the corners.
Even the included pilot looked human although his hair was a little thin, he
will do fine. Nothing personal on thin hair pilots!!
I'm using a hyperion 2213-24 from Espirit, CC 18A Thunderbird ESC, 1500Ma 10C 3 cell, and the prop I'm not sure of yet. An 11x4.7 APC S is one of the suggested props but I'm not a big fan of these. Bought a GWS HD 10x7 and I have some more I will try and report. The APC 11x4.7 and the APC E 12x6 both are supposed pull about 17A. I'd like to get a little lower draw as this is just a flyer, not a 3D or yank and bank type. I'll report soon and give a brief report..

crashmaster
01-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Well it flys like a Bird Dog. Doesn't like to roll with medium rates and my power set up is adequate nothing to brag about. Its a good flyer and looks good in the air and on the ground. My first flight resulted in transforming a fixed gear into a retract as it brushed the ground it folded the landing gear against the fuse..cool. I put a more realistic langing gear on and its looks better now.

alienx
03-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Did you go with the one in the thread? I've been interested in the Hobby Lobby one and came across this thread.

Can you post some pics?

Looks like a nice plane.

NWarty
04-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey Guys,
I've decided to pick up the VMar BD as my second plane after returning to the hobby after 12 years. Right now I've got a dozen flights on my Hobbico SkyFly and have had no issues maneuvering or landing.

I have a couple of questions regarding the VMar BD and was hoping that those who have it could help me out. The entire package will be arriving early next week.

I'll be running the BD on an AXI 2212/26 with 3-cell lipos and Castle Creations 25amp ESC, and Spektrum DX6.

The big question is "How does the BD fly?" What kind of characteristics does she display? What are the good and the bads?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Blake
Olympia, WA

crashmaster
04-27-2006, 02:33 AM
I found it flys like a BD would. It rolls very slowly and loops the same way. But it is a good looking model and gets a lot of looks at the field.
I replaced the landing gear with a more scale and sturdy one. I folded the original ones back on one flight and it looked like a stuck retract. I think I'll chare it up for sat morn....Rom

NWarty
04-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Crashmaster,
Thank you much for the insight. My BD will be arriving mid next week and I'm very excited. Sounds like she's very docile in the air.

Question for you. How did you beef up the landing gear and what did you use? Thanks.

Blake

Ron 01
07-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I just have bought one, looks great! Can`t wait to fly it. If it flies just as good as it looks it is a succes!

warbird@home
07-05-2006, 06:57 PM
I just have bought one, looks great! Can`t wait to fly it. If it flies just as good as it looks it is a succes!

It will another success to add to your list !!!!!!

:D

Destroyer of airplanes
10-03-2008, 06:19 PM
I have refitted my Bird Dog with aluminum landing gear. I found the wire provided too soft and flexible. I also replaced all the wood screws that hold the struts on with 4-40 blind nuts and screws.

I just purchased an additional set of wings to install flaps in. I find the only difficult thing about this plane is landing it. It is so clean and smooth it takes forever to get it to slow down.

This plane is a real winner

Paul :mad:

Oscar Mike
10-28-2008, 01:34 PM
The plane looks great... whats the weight? I'm looking to do some mods to the airframe and will probably need to upgrade the engine... any suggestions on selecting a larger engine for this airframe.

Destroyer of airplanes
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
As far as the weight goes I'm not sure. I'll check my building log. I've been weighing all the mods I've made. I have an E-flite 450 in mine now and will soon install an e-flite 480.I am trying to get the airframe to easily carry an additional pound. I figure that what the floats are going to weigh.

Paul :eek:

Destroyer of airplanes
11-07-2008, 06:48 AM
Here are the weights.

At first flight with the stock motor 31.8 oz.

Flight with e-flite 450 33.7 oz. flown carrying 6 oz of lead. Total flight weight 39.7 oz. Would not take off with 9 oz of lead from our grass strip.

Hope this helps.

Paul :Q

Oscar Mike
11-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Thanks that does help.