PDA

View Full Version : P-38 prop suggestions needed.

Strutz
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a Great Planes P-38 Profile that I converted long ago to brushless.
My question is "What prop choices do I have with my setup ?" I'm looking for top speed yet retain some thrust for climbing.
The plane weighs between 3 and 4 LBs and will climb out great on takeoff. It will stay aloft at half throttle but I'm sure I can get more out of this combo if I had the perfect props choppin.
I'd like to have prop suggestions that are within my amp range.

Two PJS-1000s
Two Jeti 30amp ESCs
Batteries are TanicPack 3s 2220mah
I've been running Master Airscrew- Electric Only 10x6s

Glacier Girl
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Just doing a little playing on MotoCalc, if you cut down a 10x8 to 9x8, it will give you around 70 mph, drops the amps down a hair, and still shows decent thrust.
Are you sure yours weighes that much?
I have the NitroPlanes 52" ws version with air retracts, it's a full body design, and it weighes 4 pounds ready to fly.:confused:

Strutz
08-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Thanks for replying !! I notice most shy far away from PJS questions in here and at RCU.
3LBs without the batteries. 4LB 1oz with both packs strapped on.
Built light for this kit but still running reg sized servos. Tried mini/micro servos but plane is too big and has too much heft and throw for small servos. Tires are scale,, extra light foam.
I tried some three bladed props and ran the motors counter rotating. It did get rid of the engine torque completely but the 9x7 3-blade didn't pull the plane well at all. I do have a couple 10x7 3-bladed props but figured it was a waste of time and a good way to burn something up.

Any help is appreciated here.

Glacier Girl
08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
You could also look at the Vario blades.
Adjustible pitch. http://www.e-flightline.com/varioprop.htm

vision
08-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Strutz,

You may want to check out APC since they produce a 9x6 three blade prop. It may work for you.

Are you running counter rotating motors with one spinning clockwise and the other counter-clockwise? If so, finding a three blade pusher prop may prove to be a challenge

For any questions regarding PJS motors or accessories, please drop us a line or call. We are always willing to help with questions on our products or suggested power systems to convert a plane to electric power.

Please check out our website to view some of the aircraft that we have converted to electric power.

Thanks,
Jerry