PDA

View Full Version : B-36

Boomerang
07-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi guys, someone has to post stuff or the site won't fly. This model was built 10 years ago primarily because my scale buddys thought it could not be done & that I had lost the plot. Span is 110 inches, powered by 6 x geared speed 400's on 24 x 1700 mA ni-cd's, mechanical retracts & plans are available. How many flights?, I gave up counting after 200. - John.

Matt Kirsch
07-26-2005, 04:58 PM
I would absolutely love to get my hands on a set of plans. Do you have them in CAD format?

What's your opinion on laser kit cutters? That plane absolutely MUST be built, but I'd loose too much blood cutting it out by hand :)

Boomerang
07-27-2005, 10:07 AM
I don't have plans in CAD. Plans are available from either Radio Control Model News
http://www.rcmn.com.au/ go to 'to order a plan'

or Quiet & Electric Flight who also offer vac formed canopy & nacelles.

https://sslrelay.com/s84068217.oneandoneshop.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=1542e74c5f7ca2a/shopdata/index.shopscript

Click on 'product search' & type in 'B-36'

My opinion on laser kit cutters? I usually scratch build so everything is cut & try for me so I have never used one. I have seen examples of their work & it looks great but if the plan is inaccurate so will be the parts. The fuse on this model is a balsa ply box padded out with foam so the only tedious cutting will be the wing ribs. The tail is made from strip balsa so no ribs there either. Do you want a copy of the article that went with the plan? I can send it as an email attachment (word) - John.

Reformed Nitroaddict
07-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Wow. I cannot really think of much else to say about that one.

That plane is just amazing...I cannot even begin to think what size crowd that thing must attract when pulled out to fly.

Good job!

tailskid
08-02-2005, 01:56 AM
EXCELLENT project....the B-36 has always been one of my favorites!

Jerry

Bruno Stachel
08-02-2005, 04:28 AM
Nice job! I was just looking at the real McCoy at the Air Force Musuem a couple of weeks ago. I remember thinking it would make a neat RC scale subject.

Boomerang
08-02-2005, 08:35 AM
It's a sweet flyer too, nice & slow, a bit like a big glider. Before you ask, yes, it WILL thermal! - John.

callmeishmael
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm actually old enough to remember having B-36's pass overhead. Nothing in the world like the sound of six R4360's - especially with the props cutting the exhaust!

Your model is an inspiration that will definitely carry me through those times "I can't do that."

I too still work in balsa, spruce, liteply although I have switched to a CAD program.

Thanks for sharing your plane with us!

stanger89
08-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Anybody in the US order the plans yet? I see RCMN is in Australia and was wondering how that went.

Matt,

I'm in the process of building a Wing MFG A-26, I ordered the laser cut wood kit from Climate Models. I'd definitely recommend it, and would definitely be interested in something similar for this beast :)

Boomerang,

Could you give us a bit more info on the construction? Are the wings foam, how's the fuse made? Also if you know, how much does it weigh, and what's the wing area?

Boomerang
08-08-2005, 07:46 AM
The model weighs about 10 1/2 pounds all up. The fuselage is a balsa & ply box to take the flight loads covered in hollow foam. The pic below shows the first wing I built, a thick foam wing of similar section to the full size. The model was first flown as you see it. Whilst it flew o.k. the second (final) wing is all built up & a clark Y section, much lighter & more efficient. The outer foam skin forward of the wing slides off like a drawer to load the batteries & gain access to the nose retract. When I sent the plans to Traplet (uk) they requested samples of the nacelle moulds & canopy moulds, they can offer vac formed bits. The wing area is about 1180 sq in.

Like I said in the 3rd post, if you are interested send me a pm & I'll email you a copy of the article that went with the plan.

Tweet
08-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Wow.

Rockpile1022
08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Just finisher a De Havilland Mosquito Made by (SCORPIO).
WS 1.290 mm
Lenght 1030mm
Weight 1.2 g
Wing

E-Challenged
08-25-2005, 10:04 PM
[quote=callmeishmael]I'm actually old enough to remember having B-36's pass overhead. Nothing in the world like the sound of six R4360's - especially with the props cutting the exhaust!

I'd even love to see a video and hear the sound of the mighty geared S400's. With loud Mini-Olympus 2.3:1 gear drives it would sound quite realistic. My 54" Comet Aeronca Chief with Mini-Oly gears is moderately loud and sounds like a 4-cylinder Franklin.:D

S-39
08-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks for sharing!

Boomerang
08-28-2005, 05:54 AM
Did I mention it DOES use Mini Olympus gear drives? It sounds - well - like nothing I've ever heard! I'll get a mate with some video skills to shoot some footage & post them. - John

E-Challenged
08-28-2005, 03:40 PM
A video here showing flight prep, taxi, takeoff, climb-out, flyovers and landings with taxi-back and would be great. You could probably make money selling a DVD. Hope you took stills or video during the build. Back in the early 50's Flights of B-36's from Bemidge (sp?) Minnesota would fly over Milwaukee WI so high you could just barely see them as a tiny silver cross but windows would rattle and the growl of all those pusher props was like no other plane, so low pitched you felt it as much as heard it. Your model would really steal the show from "cool factor" alone. I have dabbled in scale models all my life (now 67) but have never attempted a project like that. Congratulations on having done it successfully. :)

Ben
10-16-2005, 12:53 AM
@ 75, I too recall B-36 quirks! In 1957(?) one passed over Allentown PA, and - and! - was being refueled at 5 - 6 thousand feet! I stopped people and screamed for them to look at something that NEVER happens low, and over population centers - couldn't get more than a glance upward, and a ho-hum! Talk about blase! - - Ben

batman
10-16-2005, 03:56 AM
I love that plane. Got the plans, just waiting for the skill to catch up to my ambitions.

Tigermoth001
12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Just ordered a set of plans and vac formed canopy & nacelles parts from Quiet & Electric Flight. I remember as a child, this airplane flying over my house in California. You could here it coming for miles. I'd like to take you up on your offer to send a copy of the article.

Tigermoth001
12-14-2005, 02:25 AM
The plans from Quiet & Electric Flight actually come from Traplet Publications LTD. Cost for plans and ABS Canopy/Nascelles is 41.95 GBP including shipping. They seem like a very professional company and responded almost immedately with an e-mail confirmation. Have not yet received plans

Tigermoth001
12-14-2005, 02:37 AM
There is also a nice B-36 plan available from Flying Models magazine. It was published in Aug. 1996 and is a large scale Free flight model by Dave Rees. It has a 57 in. wing span and uses six micro-4 motors. It could easily be converted to RC. I'm thinking about using it as an outline and building a foamy version.

Tigermoth001
12-14-2005, 02:54 AM
Question about construction: You say "The entire foam outer nose slides out like a drawer to provide access to fit the flight batteries or off altogether for total access to the retract servo, nosegear and gear door mechanism" I saw this in the video. This seems like a fragile and somewhat difficult part to construct. How do you recommend making this nose section. What is your foam carving technique. Have you considered covering the foam with 0.5 oz. fiberglass cloth?

Tigermoth001
12-14-2005, 05:13 AM
There is a nice B-36 Peacemaker drawing available at the following web site

http://www.air-and-space.com/peacemkr/planl.gif

Boomerang
12-15-2005, 07:24 AM
Hi Tigermoth, I did not consider the removable nose difficult to construct, it just seemed the easiest way to load the batteries without flipping the model over or removing the wing both of which are awkward due to the size of the model. This section is parallel so it is hot wire cut using cardboard templates for both the outer cut and the inside cut as well. It's probably quicker to cut it than explain it. Other contours on the nose are just lumps of foam glued on & shaped with a rasp & sandpaper. The canopy & the front glazing make up most of the curved nose bits. The balsa strips to make the sliders are a bit fiddly to do but with CA glue it's no huge hassle.

I suppose the whole model is fragile, it has to be light to fly properly! 99% of models are built too strong for most flight loads anyway and with this one I made the effort to keep it light. The nose contributes no strength to the model at all, all the foam on the fuselage is just to make it look pretty, go to post No 10, this is how the model was test flown, the other bits came later. The model has had hundreds of flights & is more than 10 years old, it's strong enough. The brown paper method is light, cheap & adds surface texture for the panelled look all in one go, it's a favourite of mine so I save fibreglass for stuff like IC model cowls - John.

cyclops2
12-16-2005, 04:11 AM
Boomerrang you are right about plane weights. People should build light. Not heavy for crash survival.
LIGHT planes survive better.
Both of my blue foamies are + 6' and less than 6 lbs.

RCWarbirds
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I just bought one of these planes and need info on setting it up with one 24 cell pack and one speed controller.
Thanks,
Paul,
www.rcwarbirds.com

Boomerang
11-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Did you find the video thread? - John.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2888

RCWarbirds
11-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Yes I saw the video and it really looks good in the air.

cyclops2
11-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Many thanks to Boomerang for answering my PM about the motor/gearbox ratio/ prop/ volts /motor setup.

It is a big comfort to know a working setup, BEFORE starting these projects.

Boomerang. :) :) :) :) :) !!

Dr Kiwi. :) :) :) :) :) !!

E-Challenged
11-19-2006, 06:43 PM
There are hidden "thumbnails" on this post and others , what should I do to view them??

The model weighs about 10 1/2 pounds all up. The fuselage is a balsa & ply box to take the flight loads covered in hollow foam. The pic below shows the first wing I built, a thick foam wing of similar section to the full size. The model was first flown as you see it. Whilst it flew o.k. the second (final) wing is all built up & a clark Y section, much lighter & more efficient. The outer foam skin forward of the wing slides off like a drawer to load the batteries & gain access to the nose retract. When I sent the plans to Traplet (uk) they requested samples of the nacelle moulds & canopy moulds, they can offer vac formed bits. The wing area is about 1180 sq in.

Like I said in the 3rd post, if you are interested send me a pm & I'll email you a copy of the article that went with the plan.

Boomerang
11-22-2006, 08:24 AM
What do you mean by 'hidden' thumbnails? - John.