PDA

View Full Version : Time to Finish my ME109

Crash9
08-24-2006, 04:32 AM
My 6 channel radio is at the repair shop and I've been flying my heli's all summer so now I have some time to finish my Me-109 using Minwax Polycrylic and fiberglass cloth while I wait for the return of my Optic 6. I felt it's time to glass my new Me-109 before I forget what I learned from doing my P-51 and P-47. So I copied this thread that I started back in March and put here to finish the build.

I'm using about 1 yard 3/4oz fiberglass cloth($7 from HP).Craft paper ($.99Wall Mart), Minwax Polycrylic ($14 1qrt Lowes) and DAP light weight spackle ($3 Lowes)
2 cheapy foam brushes, 300grit sandpaper (cut round),razor blades and sharp scissors.

First I lightly filled in any bad spots with light weight spackle then lightly sanded the plane with round cut sand paper (cutting it round keeps the edges from digging into the foam) brushed the polycrylic on the foam plane, let dry, then very quick very light sanding again.

Before I glue the two fus. halfs together I cut some foam away to fit the battery I will be using (Tanic 3s 1550 Lipo) I also did the same for where I plan to put the ESC at the nose.

On the inside I glassed the plane with Craft paper ( the kind that comes wraped around new clothes) to help make it a little stronger and this is very light and some poeple do this to there whole plane with good results.

When it drys I put the 2 halfs together following the GWS instructions here.

Crash9
08-24-2006, 05:01 AM
A friend told me he believe that I was the master at building a GWS warbirds and Crashing them. I replyed "no there's others out there too, and they have websites on how it's done".

If your worried about crashing it, then leave it at home......Sooner or later they will meet the earth. I can live with that.:cool:

No honey I'm not throwing out those planes, I may need those parts someday.:D

Crash9
08-24-2006, 05:17 AM
On the wings I first replace the wooden wing support with a longer carbon fiber rod. Once glued in I spackled it up.

I started cutting the fiberglass to a close fit on the bottom of the wings. I will not wrap it around the edges but trim it to fit with a razor blade after it dries, it's real easy to run a blade around the edges cutting away the over hang then, so it's ok to leave it longer then to short. On the top layer I will wrap it all the way around the edges.

I laid out the cloth on the bottom of the wing and cut around it with sharp scissors.

Crash9
08-24-2006, 05:18 AM
I wanted to glass the wing in a whole but I realized that you must install the control rod first, so I removed the ailerons and glassed them. I'm told by doing this it will help the paper hinges stay in place and allow better control at high speeds, and I'm for all of that....

Crash Test Dummy
08-24-2006, 05:26 AM
I find it hard to toss out my busted airframes too! We must be related somehow, LOL!! I love to glass my foamys too. Then I push them to their limits. I'm about to start a GWS Formosa and a Ultra Fly BAE Hawk. They should both arrive at the LHS tomorrow or Friday, cant wait.

CTD

Crash9
08-25-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah and that's just the box with P-51s...

Crash9
08-25-2006, 11:36 PM
The fueslage takes a little more time to do then the wings. I did it the same way I did the wings but there's more prodruding objects. Once I have the cloth laid out and cut to size I apply the polycrylic to the middle of the cloth, this will help keep it in place while smooth it out, then using a new sharp blade, I slice through the cloth to allow it to form around the protruding part The prodruding part will not be glassed. Then I continue to apply the Polycrylic around the object smoothing out any wringles. In these pic 's I have already finished the top and bottom of the fuselage and I will have this layer over lap the first ones. ALWAY's make sure you are soaking through the cloth penatrating down to the foam. If you don't you will get little tiny pinholes where the poly has not filled in the cloth. Still not a big deal though, I will cover how to fill in any left over pinholes later.

Important note: Don't over work the edges of the cloth when your brushing, this will start the the fibers to come apart and you will have long strings of fiberglass hanging off your brush and contaminating your Polycrylic. Some seperation is ok and you can sand it when it dries, just don't over work the edges. And if you still need to apply Poly in these areas, better to dab it on, then lightly brush.:)

Crash9
08-28-2006, 06:16 PM
While that is drying I move on to the wings, triming the extra (already dry) cloth. This is easy with a sharp blade. I also will re-open any areas that got covered by the glass (like the aileron servo hole). This is the bottom of the wing and when I glass the top I will cut the glass cloth larger and wrap it around the wing having the salvaged end on the bottom of the wing where it will be un-noticeable and help make the leading and trailing edges of the wing stronger.

Crash9
08-28-2006, 06:17 PM
I also wrap the cloth around corners, but keeping in mine that other parts (wings, cockpit,etc..) still have to fit in place, so don't make it to thick.

Crash9
09-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Finished the painting my 109 last night. This morning I put all my gear into it.

Himax Brushless motor 0809 outrunner
CC25 amp ESC
HS-55 servos
Cirrus 6MXR RX
Tanic 1550 3cell Lipo

Im ready to get this bird in the sky.:D

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Looks great crash! Good luck on the maiden.

alienx
09-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Nice work Crash! What did your AUW end up being? I'm building a Corsair now and was very happy with how much a single layer off glass strengthened my control surfaces. I think I would like to glass more of the plane but I've never built GWS before so I am going light for the first build to try to keep the weight down.

Good luck on the maiden!

Bill G
09-07-2006, 06:03 AM
I find it hard to toss out my busted airframes too! We must be related somehow
CTD

Me too. I think I can finally toss my trashed GWS P51 fuse. I've been cutting of slabs of it, and gluing to another foamie I'm reshaping a bit. The foam pieces are used to build up the new plane I'm working on, so I can build up/reshape areas. There's not much left of it now. The elevator, wing, and canopy went on a Meteor scratch build.

Crash9
09-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Got a few flites in with my Me 109, Plane flies very well even though I didn't install a rudder servo or cut the rudder from the tail. This help keep the 109 light and made up for the added weight of fiberglass. My 109 Flew nice and slow, or fast if you stab the gas with very little wing flex when diving with a quick pull back on the stick. I don't know what the wieght is but it came out feeling very light when compared to my P-51. Thanks for all the nice comments. Scott

I need another warbird to build. My inventory of unfinished planes is down to 1. Any suggestions?:cool:

Grasshopper
09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Got a few flites in with my Me 109, Plane flies very well even though I didn't install a rudder servo or cut the rudder from the tail. This help keep the 109 light and made up for the added weight of fiberglass. My 109 Flew nice and slow, or fast if you stab the gas with very little wing flex when diving with a quick pull back on the stick. I don't know what the wieght is but it came out feeling very light when compared to my P-51. Thanks for all the nice comments. Scott

I need another warbird to build. My inventory of unfinished planes is down to 1. Any suggestions?:cool:

Richmodels 52" P-38??? http://www.avia-richmodel.com/english/Products_View.asp?ID=454

Crash9
09-07-2006, 08:28 PM
That's exactly what I need Grasshopper. That's a nice looking P-38. Where do I buy it? is there a ARF version? is that 1340 Lipo enough is there a Thread somewhere? Thanks

Edit: Ok I found it http://www.nitroplanes.com/plinigasrare.html

Crash9
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
CRASHED this plane yesterday:( . I was stupid and decided that I would fly my 109 and the wind has been blowing for weeks now. This plane is a Hot Rod with it's set up and fly's very good in the wind. Even though it was hardly blowing when I decided to fly her, that didn't matter with gust at 65mph it didn't have a chance. When I realized the wind was picking up I started to bring her in facing the wind, when suddenly the wind gusted and blew her into a back flip into the asphalt at full power (I was trying to recover).
With the fact my me-109 was glassed it survived some-what keeping all the broken peices togeather, although part of the elev flew away in the wind and the fuselage nose looks like a accordin, I still may be able to repair it, where if I didn't glass it, there would have been little foam parts blowing in the wind. I'll take some pics to see what you guys think....

PerlAddict
01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Yowza!

Grasshopper
01-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Sorry to hear that!

DetroitHawk
01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
indeed, any crashed planes bum us all out because i am sure most of us know how you feel. (you really need a different name:CRASH lends it's self to reports like this)

I have been there a few times with the wind going where i only dare fly my stryker and everything else stays on the ground. sometimes it really is hard to use the better judgement when the batteries are fully charged and you are at the field ready to fly. I know i tell myself everytime before a crash "this is a bad idea" and more often then not it ends up that way LOL.

spinnetti
01-23-2007, 12:56 AM
bummer on crash.. My Me109 is 4-5 years old, and has been trashed so many times I can't remember. I just did a full power straight into the street a couple weeks ago.. it was horiffic. Stuff broke in ways I wouldn't have thought possible, but 1/hr of work and it was ready for flight again :)
I look at it this way: each crash tests and improves my build skills and teaches good flying lessons. I'm always bummed at first, but have fun on the rebuild, modifying more with every crash (I converted mine to a G2 model)..

:)

(These pics are after I started to convert to the G2, then the finished one. I've totalled it again (was tail heavy after the rebuild) since, and rebuilt again!)

Diesel Dan
01-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Crash,thanks for the glassing tutorial,sorry to learn about the crash tho...I'm gonna start my 109 next,I like the looks...maybe do the desert camo version.

Crash9
01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Ok, after reading your postings I became motivated to rebuild her:) . Looks like I have to cut the nose off to fix the stick mount. Last night I removed all the gear and repaired the broken main wing.
spinnetti your right about getting better at repairs. A couple of years ago I never would have been able to repair it, but I feel more then comfortable now with all my crash and repair abilitys. I'll post some pics tonite on my progress and how I'm going about repairing it;) .

Crash9
01-30-2007, 04:51 PM
indeed, any crashed planes bum us all out because i am sure most of us know how you feel. (you really need a different name:CRASH lends it's self to reports like this)

I have been there a few times with the wind going where i only dare fly my stryker and everything else stays on the ground. sometimes it really is hard to use the better judgement when the batteries are fully charged and you are at the field ready to fly. I know i tell myself everytime before a crash "this is a bad idea" and more often then not it ends up that way LOL. So true, so true indeed....

OzSloper
01-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Hi Crash,
Glad to read that she will fly again. Did the motor survive the impact? And by the way, what motor did you have in her?
cheers,
Oz

Crash9
02-01-2007, 01:39 AM
OzSloper, I have a Himax outrunner HC2816-0890 (hobby people)and it's held up to a few nose-impacts so far. I took it apart last night to inspect it and it's good to go again so i'll reuse it:) .

Some progress on repairs. I managed to work some of the accordin look outta the nose so she looks better now. Reglued the stick back in. To do these repairs I cut the nose off and I use carbon fiber rod (3/32") that I shaped like tooth picks so I replace it and have it be a little stronger. I use a E-flite stick mount for the motor.

Vintauri
02-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I glassed my 109 just like you did and it survived a rough deadstick landing from the motor vibrating loose. I'm glad I did as I only had a couple cracks in the fuse to epoxy. That and the spinner busted.

I have not had much chance to fly her though as winter set in fast.

I'm working on a GWS 38 now using the same minwax and .5oz cloth.

Steve

Crash9
02-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey I'm building a glassed 38 also.

The 109 flys again and seems better then ever (don't figure). I'm trying out the new Alfa retracts on my P-51, and if they turn out to be good ones I'll put a set on the 109. They can work at different degrees and should work like the real 109 retracts. They have springs to absorb the shock of landing and that should help keep them from breaking like other micro retracts..

OzSloper
02-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Glad it's back in the air Crash. I bet that motor pulls that little plane around pretty quick. Have you taken any video footage we can see?
cheers,
Oz

The Bandit
03-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Himax outrunner HC2816-0890
Holy cow...I thought I over-powered my models...this is insanity. :eek: What was your flying weight after glassing?

Crash9
03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Hey Bandit, I'm at 18.4oz RTF w/ batt, after the crash and repairs. It's a very fun flyer with the Himax motor in there:) .

Crash9
03-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Pic's of how it looks after repairs:) . Got a couple more nicks and scratches.

Murocflyer
03-31-2007, 02:35 PM
Very nice repair work Crash. Sign me up as another 109 owner as I'm going to be getting one here shortly.

I'm going to power it with a BP21 and 8x6 prop though.

Frank