PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a really fast Stryker in here.

Gryphon
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi all,
I am fairly new to Watt-flyer, joined while back and forgot all about it.

I wanted to know if anyone has a high speed Stryker and what sort of power system are those running on.

I just finished mine about 2 weeks ago, but it has not had its maiden flight yet.
I would like to know what issues they came up against.
My Stryker's body has been beefened up with 2 C.F. tubes, Elevons are made of Plywood, lots of cooling has been provided for the two batteries on board and for the CC80 ESC. 2 cooling fins on the MEGA motor. A lot of 3M Extreme tape has been used as well.

*** I've been reading that some people are having issues at high speed.
Since I hate to loose my new bird I wanted to read more, so i could be better prepared.

p.s. I have been on RCuniverse, but like to see what this site has to offer.

Thank you in advance folks,

Gryphon

jsbzmcdaniel
08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
There aee many of us that have fast strykers. The setup I run that is recommended is the following:

Mega 16/25/4
CC Phoenix 35 Speed Controller
Hitec 85mg Servos
UBEC
Thunder Power 4s 2100 Lipo
6.5 x 6.5 Carbon Fiber Speed Prop or 7x7 Carbon Fiber

Hope this helps

Gryphon
08-28-2006, 03:22 AM
jsbzmcdaniel,
I think I remember you from RC-universe with same screen name, well same here (same screen name). If I remember right, GG told you about that setup.

I was looking for faster setups. Mine is a MEGA 22/30/2 on (2) 5cell Li-poly packs and CC80 ESC and APC pylon 6.5X6.5, 25,400 RPM at 76.25 AMPs and 1159 Watts, and 44.75O.Z. weight. Hovers one notch above half throttle on the transmitter (while holding the plane).

So I have the fast setup, I will maiden it in a week or two.

***What I want to know is what problems are fast Strykers running into from 90-120 MPH as far as the controls responding, weird tendencies and such. How do they deal with the heavy weight of the super fast birds as far as stall speeds, launch needing right aileron input, etc....

I have wooden Elevons, C.F. rods and plenty of 3M Extreme tape in the critical areas, and a wooden motor mount.

Thank you all,
Gryphon

Joe 1320
11-24-2006, 06:47 PM
You should also look into removing the fiberglass rods and replace them with carbon, It reduces weight and adds stiffness. I also run a couple of carbon fiber rods inder the motor mount heading foreward to the handgrip area. A little extra rigidity for the motor and mount.

Reinforce the trailing edge of the wings with 1/4" spruce or light ply..... or you could rip the control surfaces from the wings with hard pull outs from power dives. Be sure your hinges are strong, ditto for the control surfaces themselves. You can rip the plane apart if you don't upgrade. I've found that the faster you go, the more a slight wing warp or twist turns into a major handful. That's the biggest problem, keeping the wings true.

My setup is:

Walkera 380m 3200 kV brushless
APC 6x4 prop
40A ESC
Maxamps 2100mAh 3s
Hitec Electron 6

Unlimited vertical, suprisingly quick and still a floater due to keeping it light. No paint, just a bare white fuse.

Phoenex
12-12-2006, 05:32 PM
My setup is:

Walkera 380m 3200 kV brushless
APC 6x4 prop
40A ESC
Maxamps 2100mAh 3s

Joe,
Have you tested the WOT amp draw on this setup? How are your Maxamps batteries(I assume they are HV's) holding up with this setup? Do you have stock cooling vents?

Joe 1320
12-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Joe,
Have you tested the WOT amp draw on this setup? How are your Maxamps batteries(I assume they are HV's) holding up with this setup? Do you have stock cooling vents?

I haven't had a chance to test it, I also don't hold wide open for long. It gets out there in a hurry. The fuse itself is unmodified, and haven't had any problems yet. Since I'm not really pushing it everything is fine. I think that the battery might be marginal for this setup if I were to keep it wide open for an extended period. I might have to push it and see what happens.

Gryphon
12-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi all,

here is my latest setup:

MEGA 16/25/2 2650KV
CC80A ESC
Thunder Power 3800-3S extreme battery
Thunder Power 3300-4S extreme battery
Medusa Research BEC
Medusa Research OPTO Isolator
(2) Hitec 85MG
(2) 3" servo wire extension
Spektrum DX7 suplied recievers (2 of them connected by 6" wire)
14 ft of C.F. tubes and strips
1/2 roll of 3M extreme Bi-directional strapping tape.
Stock elevons and stock vertical fins and Hatches and motor mount all for F-27C
Deans Ultra connectors up front
Jetti 3.5mm bullet connectors in back
Dubro 2-56 rods with heavy duty clevices.
150mm long battery in front(with BEC on side of battery dug in foam, then reciever behind battery with OPTO on top of it, then ESC in rear with the wires looped in a circle and side wall having been cut wider to make it fit there.
Front hatch opening has been increased, so has the rear hatch's cutout for wires in very back.

On 3S I was clocked at 111MPH yesterday using APC 7X6 sport prop and high ESC advance.

On 4s seconds before the battery died I was clocked at 110MPH using Graupner CAM 5.5X5.5. This setup on STD advance and with fresh battery that has been discharged 10% makes 1100Watts 30,000 RPM.
With same battery fresh and 10% discharged I get 1200W from Graupner CAM 6X6 28500 RPM.
Same 4S battery with fresh battery(full) and Graupner CAM 6X6 I get 1330W almost 29000 RPM static, but the plane was rising too much during the radar runs. No doubt it was going 125 MPH will try to radar again soon, I need to optomize the motor angle by tightening and loosening front and rear screws of the motor mount.

Note: use either no break or soft brake with delay, other wise you will get a nose dive at high speed right after lowering the throttle stick all the way down.

Testing in my room= using TP 3850-5S Graupner CAM 5.5X5.5 33,000 RPM 95A 1600W

Best combination if using 3S would be APC 6.5X6.5 at 800-850watts for day in and day out flying.

I'm not active on this thread, if interested look for me on RCUniverse same screen name: gryphon
under electric aircraft, park fliers forum, WAY PAST THE LIMTS PART5 (thread).

Have fun
Gryphon

Joe 1320
01-01-2007, 10:27 PM
the plane was rising too much during the radar runs. No doubt it was going 125 MPH will try to radar again soon, I need to optomize the motor angle by tightening and loosening front and rear screws of the motor mount.

That is a problem with mine as well. Full power requires a considerable amount of down input. :eek:

Moonwalker
01-06-2007, 03:35 PM
I got a very light 500 plus watt set-up that goes 90mph straight and level.

Stryker - Bone stock with exception of corex fins and tape hinges. There is a strip of 3M Extreme tape on each wing as the only reinforcement.

Mega 16/25/3 with 6x5.5 APC(e) prop pulling 37 amps on 4S 2100mah 20c/30c battery. 70 amp Opto ESC with Parcbec.

It tracks perfectly straight and level but will pull to the right in a dive as I exceed 100 mph.

AUW is a scant 25.5 ounces.

Next one will have reduced wing area, Basswood trailing edges to cure the flexing problem as well as balsa elevons and more Extreme Tape. I also may paint a coat of 50/50 white glue and water on it to stiffen the entire fuse and cut off the fake air intakes for aerodynamic advantage.