PDA

View Full Version : GWS Corsair Questions

alienx
08-27-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi,

I didn't want to hijack the P38 thread so I started this one. I have my first GWS build underway and now that I've got the parts out of the bag, I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to put any type of spar in the wing (or any other type of structural enhancement to the wing, like CF tape maybe)?

EDIT: the book mentions that you can add a fiberglass spar. I can't see how though because of the gullwing shape??

2. Should I put any CF or bals in the fuse for strength? Where??

3. I want to use a 1350 mah Apex lipo pack (very similar to the TP 1320). It looks like that means I need to expand the height of the battery compartment, but there is not a lot of foam left to remove. Does anyone have a suggestion or picture for what I could do here?

I think that's about it for now anyway. I've read about every other Corsair thread I could find, but everyone seems to have a different opinion about the plane and its build. So, I'm trying to ask specific questions about things I'mnot clear on.

Thanks for the help!! Andy

Jagzilla
09-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the spar, or any other carbon fibre type strengthening. This is a strong design bird to begin with, and I'd be concentrating on just keeping it as light weight as possible. The inside bottom of the cowl would be about the only area I might strengthen up, Just my two bits.
J

alienx
09-13-2006, 01:35 AM
Thanks. It's almost done now. I only glassed the horizontal control surfaces. And I probably didn't need to do that. I happy with how it is coming out so far. Looking forward to flying it.

Jagzilla
09-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Be sure to give us a posting on how the maiden goes. These are great planes, and really do well by just building stock and keeping light weight. I really went to town on mine when I built it about a year ago, I'd do it a lot different if I was building it today.
J

alienx
09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
That's a beauty! I'm going to indulge in a bit of an airbrushed paintjob, but not much else. I think the recurring theme in the threads was exactly as you mentioned it. "I would do it differently next time" and "keep it light!"

I spackled things to try to get a skim or skin coat (whichever is correct) on the body and wing. but I found already that they are delicate models. I kept doing more damage than I was trying to repair. For example, I would spackle a couple dings, and then put a bunch of scratches in the fuse trying to sand my repairs. I ended up giving up on perfection!!

I just have to glue the ailerons on and she's ready for the paint booth. I may put up a build thread when I'm done. It WAS a learning experience.

EDIT: I must say though that even though it hasn't flown yet, I think I found a new type of plane I like. For $27 bucks, you can't beat the price, and I wanted to be able to put a little creativity into the finish, so this seems to be a perfect balance. And usually when you get a cheaper model, it's because you have to do all the work. I guess that was true here too, but I never found the build particularly difficult. Looking forward to the maiden, and hopefully, another GWS!

Jagzilla
09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
In the "keep it light" department, really watch how much weight you add on with airbrushing! Mine is airbrushed with walmart craft paint cut with windex. By the time you're done, you can add anywhere from 1.5-2.5 ounces of weight, which is a heckuva lot! It also tends to go that the more paint you add, the more "tail heavy" the plane. This ends up with more weight ending up in the cowl to balance the plane.
I would forget the spackle and just sand out all the dings as best you can and the GWS molding marks. The spackle weight really adds up as well (ask me how I know)
Finally, between flight wear and tear, and hanger/travel rash, you'll never have a "perfect" model for long anyway, so don't get too carried away in the "perfection" dept.
Again, just my dime's worth of rantings :)
Jaggy

alienx
09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Not rantings, I agree.

I did learn a lot already on this one, especially with the torque rods!!!

Gonna try to keep my paint thin. And I weighed the parts before and after spackle, so i know all-inn, I've only added about 5-6 grams for the whole plane.

You're right about the prefect plane too. I learned that my first build. As soon as you fly it once, it's already nicked up or some paint is gone. So it really doesn't make sense to try to make it perfect. I guess this was a little indulgence being that this was my first GWS.

I'll at least put up a few pics and lessons learned when I'm done. Going on vacation for the rest of the week, so maybe by next weekend.

Thanks for the advice.

Jagzilla
09-13-2006, 03:48 PM
Looking forward to seeing your bird, have a nice holiday.
J