PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Talk

vax6335
08-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Now we all know Fireman Bill is gonna read this one.

Today I helped a friend from high school finish up a restoration on his 71 Super Beetle. He's doing almost everything brand new, and it was time to install the new wiring harness. He didn't really know much about it, so he wanted me to help him. It actually wasn't too bad. Tomorrow I'm gonna clean up the wires and make it look pretty, give it a once over and we're gonna fire her up.

firemanbill
08-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Yup You're right... I opened it right away!:D That is a real looker!

By the looks of the plastic hanging in the garage he made a home made paint booth and painted it right there, am I correct? If so looks like he did a heck of a job.

SilberIgel
08-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Sweet!!!

jipp
08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Im a vw fan. I have a 1968 baja bug. Even tho my brother is trying to talkme out of it. my first car when i was 15 was a 1969 baja bug.

iv built the 68 up from the ground up. I rewired it also. Vw i can rewire, regular car I dunno.

will always have a vw as long as I live.

chris.

firemanbill
08-27-2006, 09:15 PM
Cool jipp!:D

Don't let anyone talk you into getting rid of it! If you do you'll always regret it... they are great cars i tell ya!

I've got 3 drivable and one we are restoring for my 15 y/o and 2 more parts cars.

vax6335
08-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, the hanging plastic was mostly for heat in the wintertime as it's in a barn. They prepped and primered it and had a professional paint it.

I finished up the wiring today but we didn't get it started as we need some large guage wire for the battery. I don't know when we'll be working on it next. His wiring harness was $300, and I sure am thinking of getting one for my Bug, sure makes things look nice. Mine is still all the original wiring, but it all works.

firemanbill
08-28-2006, 01:28 AM
It sure is nice, and good of you to help him out as well. I wouldn't tackle rewiring yours just for looks though... that's an awful big expense unless your going for a show quality vintage resto. All of mine have the the original wiring and everything works fine.

What was the purpose of the air filters taped into the plastic if not for a paint booth???

vax6335
08-28-2006, 04:03 AM
What was the purpose of the air filters taped into the plastic if not for a paint booth???

I'm not sure. I know they took it down to bare metal and primered it in there, maybe they had it for when they were spraying the primer. I'm gonna start my engine rebuild soon, maybe I should do a build thread here, lol. :D:p

firemanbill
08-28-2006, 10:17 AM
oh ok I missed the primer part... anyway really nice job they have done there!

Good luck on your rebuild as well. Are going stock 1600 or hopping it up a bit.