PDA

View Full Version : low cost intry level plane for aerial footage..?

predatorb
08-29-2006, 06:54 AM
I have had an interest in buying a model plane for a while now and it looks like a I may break down and buy a park flyer of some kind real soon.:)

anyway.. what would make a good arf or rtf kit priced under $100 that would serve as a good Aerial video/photo platform? I'm tying to keep it simple and cheap. keep in mind I have never flown a rc plane before but I don't mind a learning curve... infact I prefer it;) a model that's hard to land is a plus for me!
I've narrowed my choice between the "Predator uav rtf" and a coupe different "cargo/airline" duel prop/quad model planes.. I'm into military planes so I'd like to stick to a military spy theme.

between the Predator glider style and the cargo style plane, what whould be the better choice and what is the flying characterisics of the two different styles? can one gain more altitude over the other?

any feedback would be very appreciative:)
thanks
Richard am

nova801428
08-29-2006, 07:01 AM
Are you looking for a kit under $100 or a rtf airplane for $100, because it will be hard finding a good set up for $100. I would suggest the GWS Slow Stick because that was my first plane and I never knew how to fly then I flew it and now I am pretty good. It does not look like anything like miltary, but you could paint it like camo, and a military plane won't really look scale with a camera hanging off the side, good luck to you.
Nova

Kosh
08-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Predatorb and welcome to Wattflyer, Glad to have you here and all good questions. I can tell you learning to fly is a much bigger challenge than your thinking about and none of the planes your talking about are really suitable for AP without some major mods and money. If you double you budget you can get a RTF EasyStar that you can learn on and mod later to haul a camera. Your in the right place to ask questions as we have all been there before. While the sexy plane looks good learning on them is a BIG jump and very few get more than 10 seconds in the air before there destroyed. Have a look here and please do a little research before you spend $$$ http://www.cascadeap.com/Other.html
The Slow Stick is also a great choice to learn on and will carry a small camera but still takes a few dozen flights to get the hang of. Ask away as were here to help. :)

nova801428
08-29-2006, 08:54 AM
Yeah, Kosh is right. You can also get a simulator, the price can be on the high side, but it teaches you how to fly really close real flight. I have never personally used on but I have seen many and they look like they are a great teaching device. It can save lots of money in the long run and is kind of like a video game too!!!

JediFlyer
08-29-2006, 04:02 PM
EZ* RTF for 179....BUT if you think even for a SECOND you are going to stay in it...buy the ARF and a good transmitter...you wont regret it! The EasyStar is an EXCELLENT plane to learn on and is VERY forgiving!

predatorb
08-30-2006, 09:29 AM
thanks for the warm welcome guys:) this is a huge message board. I've seen those rc sims before but I never really played it. well, I love video games so maybe I'll check it out some time. I'm actually looking for a fairly steep learing curve. challeges really drive me. I don't mind crashing. to be honest I prefer it. half the fun imo is trial and error, replacing parts and the whole learing expreience of manipulating a(rc plane) from a grounded position.

I had a feeling the community was going to point me into the direction of the Ez beginner type kits... but lucky for me, I belive in learing the hard way lol.

here are a few pics of the kits I'm comparing.. any opinions would be nice. the white predator is a foam rtf and includes a 4 channel radio and wing span is 53" for $120. the other is a foamie skybus 3000 rtf duel prop(large propellers) with a much smaller wing span of 30" and a 2 channel radio for $30! ... I could always get a 4 channel. is the skybus inferior to the predator in terms of elevation capability?

richard

JediFlyer
08-30-2006, 01:54 PM
I dont think either of those will serve you well as AP ships...Learning the hard way might not be such a good idea with expensive equipement..it will only frustrate you. If you are into video games and have played a lot of sims like BF2, and AC sim, TIE-Fighter, X-Wing...all of those will help you get the controls right for flight...I think the EZ ARF is going to be your best bet...its a good trainer but is able to haul up cargo with ease when the time comes.

Eric_N57105
08-30-2006, 05:24 PM
thanks for the warm welcome guys:) this is a huge message board. I've seen those rc sims before but I never really played it. well, I love video games so maybe I'll check it out some time. I'm actually looking for a fairly steep learing curve. challeges really drive me. I don't mind crashing. to be honest I prefer it. half the fun imo is trial and error, replacing parts and the whole learing expreience of manipulating a(rc plane) from a grounded position.

I had a feeling the community was going to point me into the direction of the Ez beginner type kits... but lucky for me, I belive in learing the hard way lol.

here are a few pics of the kits I'm comparing.. any opinions would be nice. the white predator is a foam rtf and includes a 4 channel radio and wing span is 53" for $120. the other is a foamie skybus 3000 rtf duel prop(large propellers) with a much smaller wing span of 30" and a 2 channel radio for $30! ... I could always get a 4 channel. is the skybus inferior to the predator in terms of elevation capability?

richard

The EasyStar and others that have been suggested are easier than most because they have no bad habits, but RC flight is NOT EASY, I don't care what airplane you choose.

Basically what you are suggesting is learning to play on a $12 guitar because of a perceived challenge of making good music on junk. Start with a guitar capable of producing good music. Your challenge, and it is a big one, will be to actually coax good music out of the better guitar.

A challenge is one thing, Richard. But not all challenges have worthwhile outcomes. All of the planes you have suggested are basically $12 guitars. They don't fly well enough to make the effort worthwhile. If you somehow succeed in learning to fly with them, they still won't have any value in providing the aesthetic experience of flight or for practical uses like aerial photography. And they will hamper your advancement. Just like with a $12 guitar, you will soon be looking for the real thing so you might as well buy it FIRST and grow into it.

Eric
www.ke6us.com

aviatordave
08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
any opinions would be nice. the white predator is a foam rtf and includes a 4 channel radio and wing span is 53" for $120. the other is a foamie skybus 3000 rtf duel prop(large propellers) with a much smaller wing span of 30" and a 2 channel radio for $30! ... I could always get a 4 channel. is the skybus inferior to the predator in terms of elevation capability?

I understand where you’re coming from; you want a decent looking plane. In my opinion the skybus with its radio would be a bad investment - even though it’s only 30 bucks. The range would be minimal and the length of flight would be short. The airbus would most likely have a hard enough time keeping aloft on its own, mush less putting extra weight on it.

The predator (by the way, I like your user name...Predatorb) which may look cool sitting there on the ground wouldn’t be much better. Usually the motor and batteries that come with these RTF kits are bottom line and have almost just enough umph to keep them flying. The mistake most new people make in this hobby is buying those types of kits. I have seen many people quit after frustration because of a poor plane combined with no flying experience. These small airplanes are a handful due to the easy stall characteristics they posses, trust me I have tried to help individuals fly these in the past.

It’s your decision and you’re hard earned money, we can give you our best helpful opinions and try to save you some heartache and speed up your learning curve.

What would I suggest? Well I am glad you asked!

If you’re looking for easy flight time and hone your learning curve, grab a Slow Stick. Once your confident with your flying skills attach a $$ camera on board. Or an EasyStar...Or a Magpie AP......

Good luck with your decision!

Dave

<edit... I just saw the video on the Predator, it kind of contradicts what I said. I can not tell if they used a stock motor or battery in the video. But boy...do those wings flex during flight!

http://www.hobbytron.com/PredatorUAVRCPlane.html?AID=10117481&PID=1618892

video on bottom of page>

JediFlyer
08-30-2006, 07:45 PM
LOL by the look of the flex in those wings...if you attached a sponge to the bottom and had to do a hard pull out....they would SNAP...

Everyone in here is trying to help you even if it might not be exactly what you want to hear...the Slowstick or EasyStar are going to be your best bets for learning flight and then being able to apply a few mods for actual AP...I am partial to the EasyStar because of how it is built and it requires little to no mods to do some basic AP with light weight cameras...I have nosed that thing in once HARD and it didnt do any real damage to the plane at all...

predatorb
08-30-2006, 10:38 PM
:mad: haters! lol jk.

I understand where most of you are coming from and everyone is being very helpful. too bad i'm hard headed:p hehe..

I'm interested in the predator becasue I'm a huge uav(unmanned aerial vehicle) fan. as for modding, the predator is ready for ap right out of the box. I attatched a few more photos. one is a video cam I'd like ot get for my future plane and the other is a aerial shot taken with a micro cam with the draganfly predator. anyway there is some other posts on the site about the predator and people seem to have good things to say about it.

aviatordave
08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
The dragonfly predator is a completely different model compared to the Megatech or Art-Tech predator you showed in the first post. Isnt the Dragonfly pricey?

Dave

Eric_N57105
08-30-2006, 11:23 PM
:mad: haters! lol jk.

I understand where most of you are coming from and everyone is being very helpful. too bad i'm hard headed:p hehe..

I'm interested in the predator becasue I'm a huge uav(unmanned aerial vehicle) fan. as for modding, the predator is ready for ap right out of the box. I attatched a few more photos. one is a video cam I'd like ot get for my future plane and the other is a aerial shot taken with a micro cam with the draganfly predator. anyway there is some other posts on the site about the predator and people seem to have good things to say about it.

I always say, if you aren't making mistakes, you aren't learning anything. Enjoy your education, Richard.

Eric
www.ke6us.com

anatoly
08-31-2006, 02:04 AM

First, I would definitely stay away from the 2-channel planes. From the looks of it, the Skybus is a thrust-vectored plane with no control surfaces. If you're lucky enough to even get it flying, it would take a lot of work to convert it to even a 3-channel plane with elevator and rudder, if that's even possible with this plane.

As aviatordave said, Art-Tech predator is significantly different than the Draganfly Predator. One of my friends with no RC experience got the Art-Tech Predator a couple of weeks ago. The one he received was a 3-channel only (no rudder servo) and came with a 6-channel Art-Tech receiver and 4-channel transmitter. It could easily convert to a 4-channel if we add a servo for the rudder.

It's built ok for a foam plane. There were also a couple issues with the difference between the assembly instructions and reality, but in the end we got it put together. On the first flight, the plane did a smooth ROG takeoff from the basketball court at full power and it does fly pretty well, although in the stock configuration it is a bit tail-heavy and will tend to porpoise at full power. It took a little doing to convince my very excited friend to back off on the throttle to smooth out the flight. The wings do flex significantly in flight; that's not necessarily a bad thing because it's pretty stable and self-correcting.

However there are definite issues with the design of this particular plane that make it a less than ideal platform to learn on, one of which is that the rudder and elevons on this particular model point down, which makes them very likely to snag on the ground if you come in for nose-up landing. The front landing gear isn't particularly sturdy, and will bend on a hard landing. The main landing gear strut under the wings is attached with cheap vinyl bolts which snapped off on a hard grass landing, so we replaced them with metal bolts and washers. Also because the wings are on the bottom of the fuselage and are screwed into little plastic tabs that are glued into the foam, if you hit a wing when you crash you're likely to snap off some of the fuselage foam. Another thing is that because of the long fuselage, it can snap completely in half if you have a particularly bad crash. The good thing is that the fuselage foam is easily repairable, which I've had to do a couple times now, and the plane still flies.

The plane that I'm setting up for aerial video now is my second plane, which is a Parkflyers Begin-Air. It's a 4-channel high wing plane, and is likely also made by Art-Tech for Parkflyers because it's an almost exact clone of the 3-channel Art-Tech Wing Dragon. The build quality is better than the Predator, the fuselage is plastic instead of foam and can definitely take some punishment (my first landings were not so gentle, including an encounter with the side of a brick building) and there is a spot right behind the canopy for a tiny video camera, which in my case will be a 5-in-1 eDVR that I'm waiting for in the mail. I got the plane ARTF on eBay without radio and receiver, and recently picked up a used JR XP652 and JR R700 receiver. On a fresh battery, the Begin-Air will ROG from a baseball diamond and is a beautiful slow flyer at 1/2 throttle, very controllable. I was using exponential rates to keep myself from over-correcting the turns, and mixed in a little rudder so it would automatically do coordinated turns. With the huge wing area, I was able to glide in nice and slow for landings with little or no throttle. I've only been flying for a couple months so I would say this is a very good plane for my skills.

The one thing with the Begin-Air/Wing Dragon is that the landing gear is a bit weak. The little bent paperclip that holds the tail wheel completelyl snapped on my first hard landing, so I made a stronger version out of piano wire. The front landing gear is just thick piano wire, so it will bend slightly on any but the most gentle of landings and might have to get bent back into shape fairly frequently.

So that's my 2 cents.

Kosh
08-31-2006, 02:55 AM
Welcome to Wattflyer Anatoly and thanks for the post. I think everyone here is giving sound advise on what works. Sexy looking planes are rarely useful to learn on but I guess you will find that out for your self.
Good Luck :)

Kosh

loker
08-31-2006, 06:39 AM
just want to help, so my advice, although you say you want to learn the hard way, is don't do it. since you seem to be looking at bargain prices, I assume you're not rich, and although repairs can be made after some crashes, sometimes it's a total loss. my suggestion would be to learn how to fly before you even think of aerial photography. I would guess that most people here that are good have been flying many years, it's no joke to learn how to get out of bad situations in the air, it takes time. don't mean to lecture, but I was given the same advice when I started that I am giving you now, and I didn't listen, and I almost quit the whole hobby from a huge loss trying to fly alone when I wasn't ready. The BEST way to learn is to find a qualified teacher at your local flying field. once you're soloing no problem with an aileron plane, then you should make your next step. this advice is very important if you don't have a lot of money. if you're rich however, have fun crashing. best of luck.

PS you should get brushless motors always! and lithium batteries if you can afford it. regular motors are terrible! ok that's all.

predatorb
08-31-2006, 06:45 AM
this img is of the littlebirdz version. I'd say it's the better of the predators out there. heck, it has 300 lazer cut wood pices and wrapped in a film cover of some kind. but it's out of stock. and the dragan pred is discontinued.. it sold for about $500... yes, pretty pricy if you ask me.

if I go with the art-tech plane. I'd like to make a few mods. I would upgrade the handing gear and wrap the foam in some kind of light weight protective material....not sure what though... and finally a larger prop maybe.. well I have decided to avoid the 2 channel systems. thanks to you cool guys :D

..oh the cam gets about 300-400 ft. range with sound. you can find them online for about $70 I thought they were pretty cool too.

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful tips:) I'll keep ya posted.

nova801428
08-31-2006, 06:45 AM
I agree with Kosh again, you are looking into great looking planes but not so great at flying, all we suggest is get something that can be easily moded and be changed. I think getting the predator will be a big mistake and you might regret it after you buy, unless you have don't large amounts of money to be spending I would not buy that. It you be cheaper and more efficient to buy something that can be used in another plane and something that can handle the extra weight. But, it is your decision and I respect that, so have fun!!!

anatoly
08-31-2006, 07:11 AM
...I would upgrade the handing gear and wrap the foam in some kind of light weight protective material....not sure what though...

I like 3M clear packing tape, it's very strong for its weight. I almost completely covered my Clancy Ascender with it, and it held the plane together quite well while I was learning.

..oh the cam gets about 300-400 ft. range with sound. you can find them online for about $70 I thought they were pretty cool too.
I considered something like that too, but I didn't want to bring my laptop out to the field every time I wanted to record video (since you would have to hook up the wireless receiver to some kind of recorder). Also, there was a thread in the AP section at rcgroups where someone posted a video that was taken with one of those 2.4Ghz wireless cameras. YMMV, but his was kind of choppy and had significant noise. You might want to search for that thread and look at the video before you buy. OTOH almost all the videos I've seen from cameras that record to on-board memory have turned out much better.

predatorb
09-01-2006, 05:07 AM
ok i've decided to go with the art-tech pred and mod it or I may tap my creative side, and play around with some foam and see what I can build. what would make the best material to wrap foam in. I know I asked the question but I was looking for something more professional than 3m packaging tape:p lol

yeah.. I don't eall like the range on those cams anyway.. I saw a vid online of a guy in denmark or sweden.. can't remember which one. he had a cam onboard his plane and he was manipulating it. a remote control cam on his remote control plane. wild!

rahtware
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
predatorb

I've been doing this for 26 years and am always happy to have the privilege to meet up with somebody who is just starting out. The excitement of a newbe is infectious and usually leads to a renewed interest on my part, so I want to thank you for sharing your energy with us.

As for plane choices, I will only repeat what a great LHS counter guy told me , when I picked out a small Pitts as my first powered plane (I had already learned to fly with a glider)... "How many WWII P51 pilots would have made it into combat if they learned how to fly by climbing into a Mustangs cockpit and taking off?"

The nice thing about the UAV designs is that they are meant to be stable fliers, the bad thing about UAV models is that they are manufactured, not to emulate the flight characteristics of the original UAV, but just to sell a plane to someone who loves the design!

Others have given you great advice on this thread. It's your choice (and money), but it is so easy to loose interest in this hobby after a number of crashes and still no flight time... Talk about a long learning curve!

OH, BTW I never did get a Pitts... I was working my way up to one when I decided that coming off the line feeling like I just downed 5 espressos was not the flying experience I was looking for!:D

predatorb
09-01-2006, 07:23 PM
first of all I' really want to thank everyone for offering and taking time to reply.

I see your point. I think most predator models are made just for the sake of making a scale pred model. if I can get my hands on some foam I would like to to play around with some uva drawings I made. not that I know anything about aerodynamics or plane design of anything. just for fun. maybe I can send it outside the earths atmosphere into space ;) via gps guidance lol. I'll be lucky if I get the wheels off the ground.

keep em high
richard

JediFlyer
09-02-2006, 01:49 AM
Id like to see this one built

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.btinternet.com/~wheelermania/UAV_02.jpg&imgrefurl=http://stargate-bfm.net/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1033%26start%3D0%26sid%3D56a4f ca74d55d1ff0abbe74d7e189c6e&h=480&w=640&sz=26&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=-hsRXnmQxy5W2M:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstargate%2Buav%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

predatorb
09-04-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't think I'm up to the task of building my own plane after thinking about it...haha my #1 goal in a model kit is a glider-like plane with large wing span and payload! payload is a biggie! idealy around a pound or two payload would a be a dream. is there such a plane available without breaking the bank.

I really like this design but I think it's way $expensive$! are there any similar 1lb+capable payload gliders on the market at a fair price?

rahtware
09-05-2006, 02:51 AM
Predatorb

A couple of suggestions:

If you still want to get into RC, buy an Air Hogs Aero Ace. Great little plane that even a six year old could learn to fly on.

If you want a great, big glider pick up one of the 4' stryo plane ($6 at TRU). It won't carry your cat (10 lbs), but it can still be fun.

Kosh
09-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Unless your buying a RTF plane better plan on $450 to $500 just to get the door open. Transmitter, batteries, chargers, servos, ESC, RX and other needed extras all add up fast. Your glider idea needs more thought as there would be very few places you could use the 70 or 80 inch wingspan needed to haul that much weight. So whats wrong with using a 5 to 6 ounce camera like most?

predatorb
09-06-2006, 12:54 AM
yeah, I stick with a rtf or arf. but to be honest I prefer a model that comes completly unasembled.:D ..it's the scale model builder in me.

I'm still looking into some gliders and trainer type planes but I really can't seem to find the wingspan or the cargo space I want. what I'm really looking for is a big wing span, prop-glider with cargo space. the predator dose have a 53" wing span and enogh cargo to haul a slim digital camera inside the tublular fuselage. and it comes with a 4ch. radio so I can't overlook that. it's just cool to open your model, take your time putting it together, paint etc. then take a test run without having to order extra parts.. it's kind of newbie but who cares! rtf rocks!

anatoly
09-06-2006, 03:44 AM
I wouldn't put too much stock in the radio that comes with the Predator, it's certainly usable and you can reuse it in other planes, but it's really very basic and doesn't have any features beyond servo reversing and elevon mixing. Supposedly you can use it as a buddy box slave, but we couldn't get it working with my JR, possibly because it's negative shift and my JR is positive shift.

Anyway, here is my video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7687284719903343185) from September 3rd, taken with the 5-in-1 eDVR attached to my Begin-Air. It's a little jerky because I'm still a bit new at this and didn't have the camera secured as tight as it needed to be, but it's enough so you get the idea. Oh, and the little white spot at the edge of the field near the trees toward the end of the video? That's my friend's Art-Tech Predator in about 100 pieces. After all the repairs I made to that Predator from Neil's previous crashes, there was no coming back from this one.

Gunner712
12-05-2006, 06:34 AM
If you are still interested in the Predator then this is a great one. But it isn't RTF all in all this would cost around $200 without camera or raido. plus you need to think of range because 500ft isnt going to do it. Wich seems to be cheeper raidoes. here is the link
http://www.nitroplanes.com/4eluavrqprra.html

Gunner712
12-05-2006, 06:35 AM
By the way this plane can hold 1.2 pounds of cargo

m0ng00se
12-18-2006, 02:06 AM
Personally, i agree with rahtware. Since you have never flown before, get an Air hogs aero ace. This plane is indestructable(Unless you try and give it to your dog as a chew toy...) and its a great introduction to flying.
And from the way it sounds, im sure you would enjoy doing mods on it, since there are several nice mods you can do on the Aero ace.

Also, if i were you, i would try and be more open minded to getting a first plane. I wanted a P51 Mustang as my first plane, but then i thought..."The P51 is a decently fast plane for a beginner, and i might not be able to think fast enough since i wont have any experience...And of course, i dont want to have to do a whole refurb on it after 15 seconds of flying...

In the end, i decided to get the Hobbyzone Supercub. Its a slower plane, that is very popular, so spare parts will be pretty easy to get my hands on (My LHS has a large selection in stock :D) And, i have seen several Aerial videos taken with the Super cub, so i know it will be able to handle the extra weight (My camera is only 1.2 oz).

nakelp86
12-24-2006, 03:25 AM
do some search on the google for
T-Hawk, great starting plane with lots of spares for these first flights, and will carry tiny cam too.
I found the link:
http://www.readytoflyfun.com/thawk3chrtf.html

stinkweed007
01-03-2007, 02:37 PM
The Beginair.. ABS fuselage... you can stick and screw things to it... my choice...

FlyingMonkey
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm curious, how did this all turn out?

rahtware
06-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I have no idea??

I think it comes down to how much you can afford and how bad you want to fly. I got my son and 10 year old nephew into aero aces last year and we had more fun/$ then any other plane I have owned in the last 27 years!

Another plane that I have lots of fun with is my Striker. It is a great 2nd plane.

Besides, how many new planes have come out since this thread started???

FlyingMonkey
06-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I was a little skeptical of the aero aces. I saw all the people going on and on about them, but they are toys....

Until I helped some kids this weekend trim thiers in. I was watching them, and the thing would shoot straight up, then back down, porpoising along. I couldn't resist. I went over and asked to try it. And then it was obvious it was tail heavy. I had seen thier grandfather buying them in Hodges Hobby shop, so I had them bring me to him, and told him what we needed to do. Once we added some nose weight, they were a blast to fly. He told me they had a great time with them the rest of their stay.

I think, for the money, I should have one. The showroom where I work, is more than large enough to fly them inside.

FlyingMonkey
06-12-2007, 02:50 PM
I have no idea??

It seems he went with the GWS Corsair. No idea of it ever flew though...

from the thread... anyone evey paint a corsair camo? (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11125)

I have a gws corsair (my first plane):) I went with a gloss aluminum paint for the intire plane.. I was going for a silver plane with yellow tipped wings but I had to cover up the yellow cos it looks really bad. so now my plane is all aluminum/silver. I'm afrad I need more color. wheni sarted thinking about a silver/black camo pattern on the corsair. what do you think?

as soon as i finish the paint job I'll post pics.:)

rahtware
06-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Nose weight is one of many ways to fix the AHAA porpoising problem. Some find that they can get by with throttle control during the first third of the flight...

The Zooming is usually caused by the positive angle of the wings to the motor thrust line...

A way to check if the problem is incidence or balance is to toss the plane gently (flight speed) with the motor off and pointing slightly down (glide angle). It might take a few tries but if the plane always zooms the problem could be balance, and nose weight might be needed.

Even the problem is incidence related, the nose weight will help fix it, but at the cost of a higher flight speed and shorter flight times as the plane won't have enough power to keep it's heavy nose up for the last 1/3 - 1/4 of the flight.

FlyingMonkey
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, some tape and a penny cleared it up. The kids were thrilled

Flyer 1
06-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Now we just need a camera that weighs less than a Penny...
No kiddin! I stand in front of my house at dusk and send of of the AeroAces (with throttle and steering mods) WAAY up there - at least a couple of hundred feet.
Great fun.
Flyer

FlyingMonkey
06-14-2007, 03:53 AM
I bought one. Flew it all over last night. Flew it some more this morning before work, did battle with a bird and then....... got carried away by the wind. I have a couple trees to check when I get a chance.

jaywalker
03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
I wish I would have had help learning to fly. I'm in a small town and bought a Space Scooter in a town 200 miles away, the LHS owner said it was a good plane to learn. My longest flight was 30 seconds. After crashing, repairing, crashing I almost gave up flying. A nice guy that had been flying 30 plus years saw me having trouble at a state park and taught me how to fly. Lots of luck Richard.

Murocflyer
03-07-2008, 12:03 AM
I wish I would have had help learning to fly. I'm in a small town and bought a Space Scooter in a town 200 miles away, the LHS owner said it was a good plane to learn. My longest flight was 30 seconds. After crashing, repairing, crashing I almost gave up flying. A nice guy that had been flying 30 plus years saw me having trouble at a state park and taught me how to fly. Lots of luck Richard.

That's why I am excited about the WF Mentor program (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29961)and the Park Pilot Partner program. (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29593)

No beginner pilot should have to do it all alone anymore. With the resources of WF and the AMA we should be able to reach out and help a lot of people.

Frank