PDA

View Full Version : Shogun 400 V2???

WWI Ace
08-31-2006, 12:17 AM
Hey guys would this be a good heli to learn collective pitch with? I fly on the Realflight G3 sim and taught myself to fly a fixed pitch micro heli. Steve.

BlizzardBoy
08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey guys would this be a good heli to learn collective pitch with? I fly on the Realflight G3 sim and taught myself to fly a fixed pitch micro heli. Steve.

I'm no expert, but I don't think that would be a good heli to LEARN with, because it is expensive. You might want to try a cheaper helicopter... like a Blade CP. A lot of people fly those, and say they are easy to fly from. The BCP is a collective pitch heli as well. I don't have experince with the shogun (I did research on it, though), but I think it's an expensive bird.

It all depends on how much money you have though, I guess.

Have fun, and good luck! Tell me what you do get, eh?

-- Zan

Crash9
08-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah the Shogun V2 is a good heli to learn with IMO and a stable flyer. My LHS has been slowly droping the price ($99). The parts aren't cheap... Use Trex parts where you can (blades 315, landing gear,etc). Don't go cheap when buying a Gyro, get the Futaba 401, this will greatly help you when learning to fly, so spend the extra $30-40 bucks it cost it'll save you on parts later. There's a reason why most pro r/c heli pilots use them. The Trex would also be a good learning heli if you got the $. They hold up great to crash abuse, but cost a little more to start with. None of them have to be set up for 3D and the instructions will tell you how to set it up for sport flying. Good Luck..:rolleyes:

WWI Ace
08-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I already have a gyro from my fixed pitch heli. I think it's a Futaba 240 or something like that. It worked great on the other one!!! As I said before I had taught myself to fly a fixed pitch heli, I just want to move on. I had to almost completely rebuild the fixed pitch one to get it flyable and that's when I got the gyro. I think I will set it up just for sport flying as I'm really not interested in 3D. Thanks guys!!! Steve.

darkside212
09-01-2006, 04:11 AM
If you can fly a fixed pitch decently you will not have a problem with collective ;)
www.rcepower.com (http://www.rcepower.com)

Crash9
09-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah, that's a good deal and with aluminum parts.

WWI Ace
11-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Okay guys, I bought a Shogun V1 for $55 new in the box. I realize that it isn't the newest V2 but I think it will work!! May have to buy a few tail gears or convert to belt drive after I break it but I think it's a good start. Steve.

darkside212
11-09-2006, 03:11 AM
It'll be fine if you stick with the brushed motor....brushless will eatup the tail shaft gears ;)

CHELLIE
11-09-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi, I Love my little shogun v2 It will do everything I can throw at it, and its cheap to maintain, all the parts I buy on E Bay, The walkera 36 and zoom is the same heli, I bought a brushless 4200kv motor and 30 amp ESC for it for $49.99 on e bay, it was advertised for a walkera 36 but fits the shogun too, with a 2200mah battery it will run forever :) here is the link for the brushless motor http://cgi.ebay.com/Elf-Hobby-4200Kv-Brushless-Motor-ESC-Walkera-36-37-60_W0QQitemZ170019329872QQihZ007QQcategoryZ34056QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
the main blades I bought on e bay for $6.00 ,( had to, I flew into the couch in the living room and damaged the stock weak main blades :) )there are plastic, and very strong, I bought 2 sets, just incase :) the trex 450 is also another very very nice heli to start out with, you will not outgrow these 2 little helis for a long time, they will do anything you are able to throw at them, with the brush motor I had to use almost full throttle to get it to fly, but with the brushless it takes only 1/3 throttle, scared the hell out of me after I installed the brushless and gave it full throttle :) it leaped off the ground and wanted to go ballistic :) have fun, Chellie

gsk11740
11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
I have a Walkera 36, same as the Shogun V2, except for the crappy Walkera electronics which I have since removed. Flies great! I took it up for the first time yesterday since the rebuild and wasn't even using training gear (didn't have any for it anyway). It's really a nice stable heli. I think you will like the Shogun.

WWI Ace
11-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!!! I know the tail gears aren't great but I thought I'd try 'em. Will a brushless motor really eat the gears even if I set the motor for a soft start? Thanks gsk11740 for the tip on Walkera 36 parts!! They seem to be somewhat cheaper especially for the Bling parts!! I knew I could get good advice here. Steve.

darkside212
11-10-2006, 03:07 AM
It might be okay...just don't over rev the shaft/gears ;)

gsk11740
11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!!! I know the tail gears aren't great but I thought I'd try 'em. Will a brushless motor really eat the gears even if I set the motor for a soft start? Thanks gsk11740 for the tip on Walkera 36 parts!! They seem to be somewhat cheaper especially for the Bling parts!! I knew I could get good advice here. Steve.

Your certainly welcome! I'm really still new to all this myself. Just sort of muddling my way through it all. I didn't realize your Shogun has a shaft tail. I thought the V2's were belt drive like the Walkera 36. On the brushless motor, if you go that route, be prepared for a huge increase in power/speed. I flew mine outside yesterday and didn't have the throttle and pitch set right. It could barely get off the ground. Then I increased the pitch and throttle a little bit (I thought) and the thing shot up over the house before I knew what was happening. I'm still in the "can barely hover tail-in" stage but fortunately have had a lot of sim time. I managed to keep myself just out of panic mode and brought the heli back down in one piece. Well, at least I know it flies! :D

BTW, my W36 flies way more stable than my Blade CP Pro. If it had been the CP yesterday, I'm sure it would have ended in disaster. I personally don't think a CP is a good training heli although they say if you can learn on a CP, you can fly anything. I believe it.

darkside212
11-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I definitely agree: if you can fly a BCP you can fly anything

I was gonna say the walkera tail shaft and input gear will hold up much better than the evoflight parts ;)

WWI Ace
11-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey darkside 212, what model of Walkera has the tail shaft parts that will work? If all else fails and I do break it I see that www.hobbypeople.net (http://www.hobbypeople.net) sells a complete belt drive conversion including main frames for $59. I guess I can always just do that. Steve.

darkside212
11-10-2006, 07:56 PM
the walkera #35 is the one with the shaft ;)

CHELLIE
11-12-2006, 08:12 PM
WW1 ACE your shogun v1 with the tail rotor gear will be fine for a while, even with a brushless setup, I dont think your going to be doing any 3D flying with it for a while anyway :) :) :) and learning to hover tail in ,nose in , is not going to but a lot of stress on the tail rotor gears, just keep them lubed, later the conversion to a belt v2 shogun setup, is the best way to go, and remember parts are cheap for your heli on E Bay, the Walkera 36 & Zoom heli is the same, so you will never have a problem finging parts cheap, if all else fails, hobby people/shack have what you need, Have Fun, Chellie

WWI Ace
12-12-2006, 01:30 AM
Okay guys I just got it all set up I think. I'm using my Spektrum DX6 radio, HS-55 servos, Walkera brushless motor, Jeti 18 Advance ESC, Futaba GY240 gyro, and TP 1320mah 11.1v lipoly. I have "run up" the blades and the tracking looks good, no vibration that I can tell. It's balanced, everything on sevos is as close to 90 degrees as I can get. I guess I'm ready except for the butterflies in my gut and weather cooperation! Wish me luck!! I hope all those sim hours on the G3.5 pay off!!! Steve.

darkside212
12-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Use training gear ;)

WWI Ace
12-13-2006, 03:21 AM
I don't own any training gear darkside. I did make some 3-4ft. "hops" in the driveway today. I need a little more room to feel less claustrophobic but it does fly. I've flown the MX400 ALOT on my Realflight G3.5 and have owned and flown a fixed pitch heli in the past. Not to say I'm a pro because I'm not. I just have some sticktime which helps. I'm just taking it slow so maybe I don't get "dumbthumbs" yet. I built a tail boom mount for my gyro because I figured it would work better there rather than on the front by the mainshaft. I can land fairly softly and level for someone who hasn't flown a real heli in about a year and a half!!! So far so good!!! Thanks for all the help you guys have given me. You all have probably saved me alot of money! Steve.

darkside212
12-19-2006, 07:57 PM
So how has it been going? I just got my HDX450V4 all setup and it is flying great!

just a note...the mx400 is available from heliproz.com for $79 :D I emailed them for the best price :p

WWI Ace
12-20-2006, 12:58 AM
It's going okay I guess darkside. It flies better than I do! Looks like I got the setup almost right on. No vibrations and everything moves the right way. I took off, hovered tail in, and flew a couple slow circuits. I probably took off and landed about 4-5 times before I managed to land once with the tail a little low and broke my tail pitch slider, ( I think that's what it is called). A $3 part. Got a new one in and also put Walkera #36 landing gear on it and got rid of the tall skinny stock gear. Also added some more expo to mellow it out a little more for learning. Still a little too twitchy for me. We're having an ice storm right now so my flying will only be on the sim for at least a couple of days. I'm having fun though! Saw that Tower Hobbies has the MX400 for $89.99. Steve.