PDA

View Full Version : GWS P51 build. Any tricks I should know?

mikeylikesit
09-04-2005, 04:17 AM
If anyone knows anything that has helped them in building the P51, I'd like to hear it. I fly in Salt Lake City, fairly high altitude. I'm pretty knew to the sport, but I have flown the GWS Tigermoth 400 quite a bit.

Thanks.

gravityrules
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Building the P-51 is fairly straightforward. Many use light weight spackle to fill in the panel lines on the wings. Some feel that the panel lines contribute to tip stall tendencies. I also am a firm believer in "glassing" my GWS planes with light weight (.5 to .75) fiberglass cloth and Minwax Polycrilic furniture finish. Really adds strength without much added weight. You don't mention if you're going to use the stock 350 powerplant or go brushless. I fly south of Denver at 6,000ft. My Mustang was pretty twitchy and tended to tip stall. It did not have a long life. At a minimum, use a 9.6v NiMh battery (KAN type is best) and a 1080 prop. The P-51 was my first GWS plane. Since then I've build an E-Starter, 2 Spitfires and 2 Formosas. Of all of these, the Mustang was the hardest to fly and the most heartrending to crash - good luck!

gwong
09-07-2005, 01:50 AM
As Gravityrules mentioned, I glassed my gws p51 with WBU than I covered it with coverite microlite...the covering only weighs .6oz a sq yard.

Hollow out the battery compartment before gluing the fuse halves together. I did this to fit my kokams 2000mah 3S packs.

Use 3mm carbon fibre rod across the bottom of the main wing, I extended mine almost to the wind tips.

Make sure the torque tubes are in the centre of the aileron...I didn't check mine before applying the CA...oops..it's a bit off but works okay.

Use a small piece of plastic tubing in the aileron where the control rod fits in...gets rid of any slop and the rod does not widen the foam from usage.

When flying the mustang you need to keep your speed up or it will tip stall. Here is my setup, it's a bit overpowered but I don't fly WOT....only for a few high speed passes off the deck :-).

Axi 2808/24
APC 9x6 sf prop
Kokam 2000mah 3S 15C Lipo
CC45 (only esc I had on hand)
3 HS56
Expert Electronics RF650 Rx

The above electronics was in my greatplanes combat mustang before I crashed it (under repairs) and it had fantastic performance....imagine how it performs in the GWS Mustang....

Enjoy your build and good luck with the maiden.

Cheers,

Gord.

Gullwing
09-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Hey Gord, the 2808/24 pulled your GP Combat? I have a GP Corsair version and everyone keeps telling me go with the 2820/10. My first choice is the one you are running, but I kept getting told it wasn't enough motor for a 2.5 lbs plane. You got any pics? I would love you see them..............GW

gravityrules
09-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Gord speaks wisely of good construction tips that apply to most GWS planes. Also I recommend two others. Forgo the landing gear at first and hand launch and belly land on grass. You can always add the gear later when you get proficient with landings. Second, get some rare earth magnets at radio shack to hold the canopy on. On my Formosas, I've been glueing flat carbon fiber strips to the fuselage - really makes it strong, but might be overkill for many. Also, my recommendations for battery and prop assume you would be using the stock brushed motor. Also, if you use the GWS glue, remember - it's contact cement. That means, apply lightly to both surfaces, mate the surfaces and separate, wait 10-30 minutes, and re-mate the surfaces.

If you're using the stock motor, keep it light as possbile!

gwong
09-07-2005, 06:29 AM
Hi Gullwing,

I had a combat corsair but sold it to a friend, he had a 2820/12, CC35, APC 9x6e (I think), Kokam 3S 2000mah 15C pack and it was okay, but he wanted more power, so he upgraded to a 2820/10 and the thing was ballastic...as a matter of fact...he lawn darted it into the ground...he was doing a high speed loop and the elevator failed...post mortem...he thinks the elevator joiner failed...but he estimates it was doing about 70mph...so check your joiner if you plan on going this fast.

The only pic I have is of my GWS P51...my combat P51 is under repairs...the Rx glitched and down she went.

Here is the link..it's the 3rd to last post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101645&page=9&pp=15

Gord.

Gullwing
09-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Very nice looking Mustang. I bet it hauls a@#. I have a GWS Mustang and Corsair. The Corsair is under reconstruction as well. It looks like your P-51 did after your crash. I have MP Jet outrunners "red" and 3 cell lipos in both of them. They fly very well. Here are mine.........

E-Challenged
09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I'm building a Zero with geared MiniAC1215/16 and PolyQuest 1100mah 3S.Plan to use enlarged 1/8" ply landing gear mount plates with 1/16 strips to trap the gear wire, will also have a piece of hardwood glued the end of plate inside wing with hole for end of landing gear wire though both. I will epoxy a piece of bamboo skewer to groove in bottom side of stabilizer for added strength during pull-outs reduce throttle after top of a loop. Will apply fiberglass cloth and epoxy to bottoms of wing tips to withstand scraping. Will add piece of 1/16 ply sheet to tailwheel pivot area to keep it from loosening in foam. Will add fiberglass cloth and epoxy to inside of flimsy cowl. Smeared epoxy to inside of carved out battery compartment for strength and air flow. Plane is designed for moderate power and weight, if you increase power and weight beef things up that might come apart in flight or landings. BTW, I am using stiffer/longer landing gear wire, bent forward, longer so that axles can line up with leading edge of wing to prevent nose-overs. 1.75" lightweight foam wheels.

Gullwing
09-12-2005, 02:08 AM
Here is the putfile link to my Mustang video........www.putfile.com/shagy. This is how mine flys with a brushless and lipos............

tramsay
09-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Nice flying Gullwing...I like the vertical! Are you mixing any rudder in with Elevator to get it to go straight while vert? Mine wants to yaw to the right. Probably thrust angle issue, but not much you can do when the stick is GG'd into the foam.

~Tip

Gullwing
09-23-2005, 03:50 AM
No she flys pretty straight. I do have to give a little right aileron in a loop to get her to come down straight.