WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vintage and old timer models (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   My Eros build for electric.. (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60247)

marksherlock 02-13-2011 10:09 PM

My Eros build for electric..

6 Attachment(s)
After admiring the design for years, I finally started my Eros. The build is pretty much as per the plan, (except I have ommited the engine bearers) and F3 is now aluminium instead of 1/16" ply. I have not chosen a suitable brushless motor yet, but the space up front will not be an issue. She will be finished in Oracover Cad Yellow with blue cheat lines, as per the original gracing the front cover of Aeromodeller 1948.. Love the huge wheel spats - they make the model look very sporty for its age!

pd1 02-14-2011 12:00 AM

Nice job.

billmod12 02-14-2011 12:07 AM

Very nice!! Waiting for a pic of the tail section!

john38 02-14-2011 08:48 PM

Mark,
can we expect to see this at Bieulieu and if so - when ??

john

marksherlock 02-14-2011 08:58 PM

Thanks guys, The tail is hopefully going to get built this week! The undercarriage was bent to shape and will get welded up tomorrow. All my worries about lack of nose weight faded away when I put all that heavy wire in place. The wheels come forward in line with the front of the cowl. Thinking about it today, I might fabricate the wheel spats from fibreglass, rather than block balsa, cheating, I know, but so is using Oracover and a brushless motor!!!
As for the tail, I think a pair of HS65 MG servos inside the fin will be the way forward.
That tailplane half way up the fin is a nightmare for RC !!!!

marksherlock 02-14-2011 09:12 PM

duplicated post!

marksherlock 02-14-2011 09:17 PM

Hi John,
Will definitley try to fly her at Beulieu this summer. Im currently up in Southend with work commitments, But she will grace the Hampshire skies - promise!!:)

marksherlock 02-14-2011 09:23 PM

This Eros is being built (in my spare time) in the old Freddy Laker Hangar at Southend Airport -which must make it the first aircraft to be built on the site since the BAF Carvairs in the 1960s!!!! (useless fact of the day!!!!):D

marksherlock 02-26-2011 07:23 PM

Eros gets it undercarriage!!!

4 Attachment(s)
Progress this week.. undercarriage got bent to shape, jigged, and welded. So she looks a bit more like a vintage model now. Still have to fit the brackets that will hold the spats. Built the fin base as well. I have 2 Hitec HS65 MS micro servos for the rudder and elevator, which can be installed in the fin without any probs. The big spat shaped lump of balsa will be carved to the exact shape of the spats - I know a very useful composite guy who will then make a clay mould off my balsa pattern, and make me up a pair of one piece fibreglass spats. Hope to build the tailplane and top fin/rudder over the next few days...

marksherlock 03-03-2011 08:06 PM

Tailplane finished..

5 Attachment(s)
After completing the tailplane, I thought I would tape the bits in place to see the visual progress!!

SHADY 03-04-2011 01:42 AM

WOW.... Really nice work....http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/gr...smiley-003.gif

marksherlock 03-28-2011 08:18 PM

Tailplane, fin and rudder....

3 Attachment(s)
Finally settled on this idea for the rudder. I built it as per the plan, but with revised rib positions and additional strenthening where required. This was also my first attempt with Oracover! very impressed, very workable and even easier than solarfilm, and more suitable for larger models.

marksherlock 04-03-2011 08:29 PM

Friday... and the wheel spats are under way!!!!

5 Attachment(s)
I opted for fibreglass spats, so I made a wooden prototype as per the plan, then a latax clay mould was made, and the pics show the glass fibre tissue and resin being laid up..

marksherlock 04-03-2011 08:42 PM

Eros gets its Cad Yellow Oracover..

5 Attachment(s)
The fuselage has now been covered, tail wheel is fitted, and the tinted flush fitting windows are in! The little nyodyme magnets are fitted into the cowl and hold it firmly in place.. just like an ARTF model!!!!

tobydogs 04-03-2011 11:09 PM

wow!!!!:ws:looks great!!!! count me subscribed thru completion[popcorn]. thats a very cool tail section.:tc:

FlyingMonkey 04-03-2011 11:23 PM

Yeah, I'm loving that tail.

marksherlock 04-30-2011 10:20 PM

Eros now has a pair of wings!!!

3 Attachment(s)
Really got to work on the wings this week and got them finished and covered. I built them in one piece, and finished the sheeting, so they were structurally complete, with alloy tubes built in to the centre section. When complete, I carefully bandsawed them into 2 halves, and covering each panel. The wings join with steel rods. The weight as she is in the pics, is 2.43kgs. The most confusing issue I have ever tried to get my head round now is the motor:confused: I have had so many different suggestions as for wattage and kv..I thought I would look at what people put in similar size piper cubs, and the E flite 46 seems popular, but very heavy, so any suggestions and help would be much appreciated guys! The wheel spats are being finished this weekend and painted, so a maiden flight is not too far away...(if I ever find a motor, that is:()

tobydogs 04-30-2011 10:38 PM

looks nice, great covering job:ws:. whats the wing span ? at first i thought this was a smaller bird...but now it looks larger in the workshop.very nice.

won't be long till the motors in ,so do take a bunch of pictures on the install........nice thread,thanks for sharing[popcorn].

marksherlock 04-30-2011 10:45 PM

Hi Stuart,
Shes 84" span, I think she will be a good model for the summer evenings..
Motor install should be quite straight forward (I hope!!!) Luckily the undercarriage and spats are not too light:ws: but they should provide some much needed fwd weight!!
I will keep you posted with pics of the progress!
Mark

tobydogs 04-30-2011 10:57 PM

she's a beauty...what's the power choice,a larger than needed motor will put some weight foward if that an issue. now i'm guessing that hatch is larger than i thought also...lol..:Q,so the batterypack should fit nicely.

it is an interesting design how the wheels are so foward toward the nose,i like it and the lg looks solid.

marksherlock 05-01-2011 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Stuart,
Yeah, the LG is very solid on this model - poss too much so! Finally got round to spending some time on the wheel spats today, primed and painted them. The will be removable from the LG and I will attach them with a thin plate soldered to the gear, and a plate inside each spat with a pair of 8/32 anchor nuts. Seen hung up with the spats is the alloy tailplane seat, this will be attached to the lower fin.

marksherlock 05-10-2011 09:41 PM

More progress!..

5 Attachment(s)
Finished off the wings, built them as one piece, with alloy tubes built into the centre section, then cut in two and finished as per the pics. Laid the model out with the spats and wings to see the finished shape!
Ordered the motor today, Overlander V2 brushless 980 kv / 770w. The powerpack is a Turnigy 5000mAh 4 cell lipo with 60A esc, which were on board for the weighing (ready to fly - less motor - 7.5lbs) which shouldn't be too bad..;)
Just in the process of finishing the undercarriage fairings and spat retaining brackets. The windscreen is the next fiddley job to do - then motor installation....then...maybe a test flight??:)

marksherlock 05-22-2011 07:58 PM

Eros finally gets its motor...

6 Attachment(s)
The overlander 3548/5 arrived, and matched up with a Turnigy mount, fits Eros like a glove! After thinking about the best way to secure the mount to F1, I decided to make up an alloy plate with 4 8/32 anchor nuts riveted in place, and epoxied to the back of F1. (No easy task gaining access to do this task), but its all done now, so i dont need to worry about the bolts coming loose. just need to solder up the leads to the esc, and sort out a little down thrust.

marksherlock 05-28-2011 09:57 PM

Eros is finished...

7 Attachment(s)
Windscreen in, battery secured, and colour scheme applied, as per original model. I just need the gales and wind to stop long enough for a test flight now:(.

replicator 02-14-2012 12:11 PM

How did it fly with this set up
replicator