WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Low wing kit opinions, please! (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61778)

Bald Paul 04-30-2011 02:13 PM

Low wing kit opinions, please!
 
I'm a "recycled" beginner in the hobby. I flew glow models many years ago, and find myself starting all over with a high wing trainer - this time electric powered, of course!

One thing that disappoints me somewhat is the apparent lack of kit planes available. Everything seems to be either foam or ARF. I enjoy building probably more than flying, so I started looking for my "next" plane, a low wing with some stability, but more capable than a trainer.

I've sent my LHS on a mission to get me a Sig Four Star 20EP. In my 'previous life' I built two Sig kits, so I know the quality I can expect. However, getting one has proven to be a problem, so I began looking for alternates. I found the BMJR Models Spacewalker (42" span) and Astro Hog (36" span) kits. Does anyone have any experience with these kits? If so, what are your opinions (quality, laser cutting, hardware, instructions, etc?)

TomBates 04-30-2011 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one you may want to consider. It's a Mountain Models SwitchBack Sr. and I just finished it. It's also my first ever kit and I feel it went together quite well. Here's the photo minus the cowling and prop, I'm still playing with the balance.

scigs30 04-30-2011 08:03 PM

I just built the Herr Mini Sport, easy fast build.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61157

CHELLIE 04-30-2011 08:12 PM

NEW Sig Four Star EP 20
 
here you go Paul :ws:

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig


http://www.sigmfg.com/images/yy1SIGRC106New.jpg


http://www.sigmfg.com/images/yy1SIGRC106a.jpgAdd to this the portability of a smaller size and the quietness and convenience of electric power and you have another winner for sport flying.

While designed for electric power it is configured to easily convert to glow engine power in the .15 to .25-engine range so you have the best of both worlds.Wingspan48 in1219 mmWing Area430 inē27.7 dmēLength38 in965 mmWeight
w/250-watt motor & 3s1p 2200 mAh lipo2-1/2 lbs1130 gWing Loading13.4 oz./ftē40.8 g/dmēRadio Required4-Channel with 4 mini servosPower Required250 to 350 watt electric motors or .15 to .25 glow engines Prop9x6 APC ThinElectric (APC309060)



Kit Features
  • Full size plans
  • Light weight balsa construction except for key parts
  • Fast building wing
  • Tab locked fuselage
  • Photo illustrated instruction manual
  • Durable aluminum landing gear
  • Molded canopy
  • Molded cowl
  • SIG Easy Hinges
  • Large decal sheet
  • Pushrods
  • Hardware pack
Click "Videos & Information/Sig Instuction Manuals" above
for the Four Star 20 EP Building Instructions

Product CodeDescriptionPriceType Order
QuantitySIGRC106SIG FOUR-STAR 20EP EACH$79.99
http://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonL.jpgOrder Helphttp://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonR.jpgNew Product Menu Searchhttp://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonL.jpgCurrency Converterhttp://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonR.jpg

kenchiroalpha 04-30-2011 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 805076)
here you go :ws:

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig


http://www.sigmfg.com/images/yy1SIGRC106New.jpg


http://www.sigmfg.com/images/yy1SIGRC106a.jpgAdd to this the portability of a smaller size and the quietness and convenience of electric power and you have another winner for sport flying.

While designed for electric power it is configured to easily convert to glow engine power in the .15 to .25-engine range so you have the best of both worlds.Wingspan48 in1219 mmWing Area430 inē27.7 dmēLength38 in965 mmWeight
w/250-watt motor & 3s1p 2200 mAh lipo2-1/2 lbs1130 gWing Loading13.4 oz./ftē40.8 g/dmēRadio Required4-Channel with 4 mini servosPower Required250 to 350 watt electric motors or .15 to .25 glow engines Prop9x6 APC ThinElectric (APC309060)



Kit Features
  • Full size plans
  • Light weight balsa construction except for key parts
  • Fast building wing
  • Tab locked fuselage
  • Photo illustrated instruction manual
  • Durable aluminum landing gear
  • Molded canopy
  • Molded cowl
  • SIG Easy Hinges
  • Large decal sheet
  • Pushrods
  • Hardware pack
Click "Videos & Information/Sig Instuction Manuals" above
for the Four Star 20 EP Building Instructions

Product CodeDescriptionPriceType Order
QuantitySIGRC106SIG FOUR-STAR 20EP EACH$79.99
http://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonL.jpgOrder Helphttp://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonR.jpgNew Product Menu Searchhttp://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonL.jpgCurrency Converterhttp://www.sigmfg.com/images/RedButtonR.jpg

Hi Paul
Heres one at a very good price
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...178439&cat=181
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

RCFlyer44 04-30-2011 11:10 PM

Paul,

I am kind of in the same place as you are as far as being a recycled beginner, I have been flying foamies, T-28, Stryker, Radian for about the past year and today maidened my first balsa plane in a very long time and highly recommend this plane!!!

Super Sporster EP, by Great Planes.

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelect...61-main-lg.jpg
http://pics.towerhobbies.com/imagel/g/lgpma1161.jpg

rcers 04-30-2011 11:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another vote for the FS 20 EP. I love mine!

......and it is hard to blame kit makers few buy them. If you make them the sit. My LHS quit carrying kits years ago and told regulars if they wanted them they would order them. But if you look they are out there.

MIke

Bald Paul 04-30-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCFlyer44 (Post 805111)
Paul,

I am kind of in the same place as you are as far as being a recycled beginner, I have been flying foamies, T-28, Stryker, Radian for about the past year and today maidened my first balsa plane in a very long time and highly recommend this plane!!!

Super Sporster EP, by Great Planes.

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelect...61-main-lg.jpg
http://pics.towerhobbies.com/imagel/g/lgpma1161.jpg

Isn't that an ARF only, though?

Bald Paul 04-30-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha (Post 805078)
Hi Paul
Heres one at a very good price
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...178439&cat=181
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

If they can be ordered (or drop shipped) directly from SIG, why is it my LHS (supposedly a SIG dealer) can't seem to get one? I'd really like to support the local shop if I can - there are too few of them left.

kenchiroalpha 04-30-2011 11:28 PM

Hi Paul
If your in the mood for building your own aircraft the "Tea Racer":$:tc::ws: might just be what you are looking for
http://www.mugi.co.uk/tearacer_intro.php
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

RCFlyer44 04-30-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 805117)
Isn't that an ARF only, though?


Yes it is, my bad I overlooked the part where you wanted a full kit. I will say for this ARF there was more building than I expected, or wanted...:D

Bald Paul 05-01-2011 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha (Post 805119)
Hi Paul
If your in the mood for building your own aircraft the "Tea Racer":$:tc::ws: might just be what you are looking for
http://www.mugi.co.uk/tearacer_intro.php
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank

That's a nice looking plane, but I'm afraid something like that would be "returned to kit form" after a very short flight! :)

jungmann1 05-01-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 804996)
I'm a "recycled" beginner in the hobby. I flew glow models many years ago, and find myself starting all over with a high wing trainer - this time electric powered, of course!

One thing that disappoints me somewhat is the apparent lack of kit planes available. Everything seems to be either foam or ARF. I enjoy building probably more than flying, so I started looking for my "next" plane, a low wing with some stability, but more capable than a trainer.

I've sent my LHS on a mission to get me a Sig Four Star 20EP. In my 'previous life' I built two Sig kits, so I know the quality I can expect. However, getting one has proven to be a problem, so I began looking for alternates. I found the BMJR Models Spacewalker (42" span) and Astro Hog (36" span) kits. Does anyone have any experience with these kits? If so, what are your opinions (quality, laser cutting, hardware, instructions, etc?)


Hey Paul, welcome to Wattflyer and welcome back to the hobby. I have a bit of experience with the BMJR kits and can endorse them with no reservations. The laser cutting is superb and I don't remember having any problems whatsoever with the kit or instructions. I am a fairly experienced builder so take that into account. Don't know what your experience level is but anyone who loves to build is ok with me! Hope you start a thread on whatever you choose. Good luck, John.

Bald Paul 05-01-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 805113)
......and it is hard to blame kit makers few buy them. If you make them they sit. My LHS quit carrying kits years ago and told regulars if they wanted them they would order them. But if you look they are out there.

MIke

Ah yes, the society of instant gratification! I guess the ARF's do have a place (obviously, there are so many of them), but to me there are few things more satisfying than seeing a plane you put together fly well and knowing it was because you did a good job.

But that's just me.

Dereck 05-01-2011 12:14 AM

Hi Paul
Kit makers are having a hard time and hobby shops that stock kits are few and far between and the two are closely inter- connected, but the Four Star would be worth the chase. I had a Four Star 40 for eleven years and without a doubt, it was the best sports aerobatic I've ever had.

All reports suggest the 20 version is equally as good, though it has the odd quirk - the bottom battery hatch location is strange, for one. As much as I try and stay away from kits - mostly, I design my own models - I can see the future if I ever come across a 4*20 kit...

Just go ahead and order one from Sig. I've mail-ordered from them several times and they are good to buy from

Good luck

Dereck

Bald Paul 05-01-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmann1 (Post 805126)
I have a bit of experience with the BMJR kits and can endorse them with no reservations. The laser cutting is superb and I don't remember having any problems whatsoever with the kit or instructions. I am a fairly experienced builder so take that into account. Don't know what your experience level is but anyone who loves to build is ok with me! Hope you start a thread on whatever you choose. Good luck, John.

Thanks, John, exactly the feedback I needed. I really do like the looks of their Spacewalker. It's definitely on my list. I have, in the past, built a GP PT-40, a Sig Mid-Star 40, a CG Tiger 2, and a Sig Wonder. Give me a decent sheet of plans, some good, concise instructions with illustrations, and some time, and I manage to put together a straight, warp-free bird.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dereck (Post 805128)
Just go ahead and order one from Sig. I've mail-ordered from them several times and they are good to buy from

I guess ordering direct, or through some other internet site, would be my only recourse if my local shop for some reason cannot get one. I really do like to support the shop whenever possible.

road king 97 05-01-2011 01:00 AM

Every one leaves stevens aero models out but i have seen there lazer cut parts and think they have their stuff together as far as flying goes too. http://www.stevensaero.com/ I really like the look of some of there planes also. joe

hillbille 05-01-2011 01:51 AM

Also if you like the older models you might try this site:

http://www.earlyrcmodels.com/index.html

It has a few of the older out of production "kits" for sale.


Hillbille

hillbillynamedpossum 05-01-2011 02:47 AM

I had a 4 star 40 and I loved it! I havent flown a 20 but I'd but a button that it would fly like a champ.

PLEASE do up a build thread.

Possum

Bald Paul 05-01-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum (Post 805164)
I had a 4 star 40 and I loved it! I havent flown a 20 but I'd but a button that it would fly like a champ.

PLEASE do up a build thread.

Possum

It looks like either the Four Star (choice #1) or the Spacewalker (#2). I'll try to remember to do a build thread, but it won't be until the first of next year. Right now, my work area is filled up with a model RR under construction that has to be done by Xmas. "Santa" will be leaving it under my grandson's tree this year.

Bald Paul 05-02-2011 02:42 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions and input.
I just sent in my order to BMJR Models for their Spacewalker kit. Although the kit is more expensive than the Four Star, the motor and battery requirements make it less expensive to complete. Got to watch my pennies, or I won't have enough left to put gas in the car to get to the flying field!
Now I have to crack the whip on the elves to get that RR done and out of the workshop. :D

kyleservicetech 05-02-2011 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bald Paul (Post 804996)
I'm a "recycled" beginner in the hobby. I flew glow models many years ago, and find myself starting all over with a high wing trainer - this time electric powered, of course!

One thing that disappoints me somewhat is the apparent lack of kit planes available. Everything seems to be either foam or ARF. I enjoy building probably more than flying, so I started looking for my "next" plane, a low wing with some stability, but more capable than a trainer.

I've sent my LHS on a mission to get me a Sig Four Star 20EP. In my 'previous life' I built two Sig kits, so I know the quality I can expect. However, getting one has proven to be a problem, so I began looking for alternates. I found the BMJR Models Spacewalker (42" span) and Astro Hog (36" span) kits. Does anyone have any experience with these kits? If so, what are your opinions (quality, laser cutting, hardware, instructions, etc?)

Put me down for a "4Star40". Built one up a while back, did a lot of flying with it. Power back then was an Astroflight geared 40 brush motor and a 22 Cell Nicad pack. (Sold it to a club member who completely recovered it, and made a brand new airplane out of it)

That would really be a nice setup with modern brushless motors and Lipo or A123 batteries.

Don't know if kits are still available.

hillbillynamedpossum 05-02-2011 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 805473)
Put me down for a "4Star40". Built one up a while back, did a lot of flying with it.

Don't know if kits are still available.


Denny,

My LHS still has kits for them. Do you have the plans left? I need to build a new wing for my 4*40 and dont remember the chord sizes or the span. Seems like the profile was a NACA 0011 or so....


Possum

kyleservicetech 05-02-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum (Post 805476)
Denny,

My LHS still has kits for them. Do you have the plans left? I need to build a new wing for my 4*40 and dont remember the chord sizes or the span. Seems like the profile was a NACA 0011 or so....


Possum

Hey, I found the drawings for the 4*40. The drawings also includes the airfoil shape and wing layout.

Send me a private message, the drawings are yours for $2.00 postage. :D

Dereck 05-02-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbillynamedpossum (Post 805476)
Denny,

My LHS still has kits for them. Do you have the plans left? I need to build a new wing for my 4*40 and dont remember the chord sizes or the span. Seems like the profile was a NACA 0011 or so....


Possum

The 4*40 wing section is a 'TLAR' (That Looks About Right!) by designer Bruce Tharpe - arguably one of the best RC sports designers around. It is easy to build, being flat from mainspar to TE, but its inverted performance is fine for we sports aerobatic lovers.

A scratch built model could be made from the plans - the parts detailing is goog enough for that. Sig not only sell their kit plans, they sell parts like canopies too.

Idle thought of the day. Many 4*40 owners have gone with the 53" span clipwing - the kit wing minus a bay each side. This clipwing thing spread to Bruce Tharpe's 'other' range design, the 'Venture 60' to such an extent that Bruce announced his approval of this modification on his 'BTE Engineering' pages.

Not sure if anyone's done a clipwing 4*20 yet...

D


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.13020 seconds with 13 queries