WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New guy here:successful maiden of SuperCub (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63868)

mayday73 09-11-2011 01:45 AM

New guy here:successful maiden of SuperCub

Hey guys,

About a year ago I got into flying helis. Worked my way up to my current bird..a Trex 550. I've put an obscene amount of money into her and it's extremely stressful to fly her. I'm working on it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a plane and after alot of research I decided to pull the trigger. I woke up this morning and literally said "I'm going to go get that SuperCub." I walked away with a SuperCub LP, batts, and some DuBro tires.

I was lucky to have a friend who has been flying planes a while go with me to help. We assembled the SC at an enormous field behind a school and he took it for a test flight and trimmed it out for me and brought it back in. I grabbed my DX7, pulled back on the elevator and gunned the throttle and away she went. What a glorious, gratifying experience it was to fly 4 packs through it without a single crash.

My buddy was impressed at how well I did and frankly, so am I. I'm hooked. I'll likely spend the rest of the night reading this site and others devouring as much information as I can. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I hope to fly all day. That was the most fun I've had in a long time. :D

Chris

gramps2361 09-11-2011 01:51 AM

Welcome to Wattflyer and to the addiction. Glad to read you had successful flights with the cub she is a easy flier. Here's to fair skies and no wind for tomorrow's flights.

Don Sims 09-11-2011 02:45 AM

Congrats Chris!

Nitro Blast 09-11-2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayday73 (Post 833532)
Hey guys,

About a year ago I got into flying helis. Worked my way up to my current bird..a Trex 550. I've put an obscene amount of money into her and it's extremely stressful to fly her.
Chris

Been there, done that Chris.

Heli's are cool, technical, and maintenance intensive, and require concise concentration.
I'm simply not interested in working so hard to have a good time with RC!
Flying fixed wing for me is volumes more relaxing.

Fishbonez 09-11-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayday73 (Post 833532)
Hey guys,

About a year ago I got into flying helis. Worked my way up to my current bird..a Trex 550. I've put an obscene amount of money into her and it's extremely stressful to fly her. I'm working on it.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a plane and after alot of research I decided to pull the trigger. I woke up this morning and literally said "I'm going to go get that SuperCub." I walked away with a SuperCub LP, batts, and some DuBro tires.

I was lucky to have a friend who has been flying planes a while go with me to help. We assembled the SC at an enormous field behind a school and he took it for a test flight and trimmed it out for me and brought it back in. I grabbed my DX7, pulled back on the elevator and gunned the throttle and away she went. What a glorious, gratifying experience it was to fly 4 packs through it without a single crash.

My buddy was impressed at how well I did and frankly, so am I. I'm hooked. I'll likely spend the rest of the night reading this site and others devouring as much information as I can. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I hope to fly all day. That was the most fun I've had in a long time. :D

Chris

Sir.
my hat is off to you. Put simply SWEET

tarheal63 09-11-2011 03:56 AM

Now starts the Modding!![popcorn] Soon you will have a $400 SuperCub LOL.

mayday73 09-11-2011 05:52 AM

Thanks guys for the replies. I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had today.

Nitro Blast I agree completely. When flying helis I'm concentrating too hard to enjoy myself. It's not until later that the day registers as a good time.

Today I was able to start having fun immediately. My buddy had his heavily modded SC buzzing around me to keep things lively.

One of the first things I did when beginning with helis was get Phoenix. It has really paid off. Due to me not knowing how to tweak it properly, flying the SC for real was much smoother than the sim!

tarheal63 09-11-2011 05:05 PM

I love my cub, even with all of the faster prettier planes that I have, I always take the cub out. I still fly the stock motor and it is just the most relaxing flying I do.

mybad 09-12-2011 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayday73 (Post 833580)

I can't stop thinking about how much fun I had today.

THAT was step one. For step two, spend $21 on a set of floats to really increase the fun!!! Then spend $521 for a kayak to retrieve it when the inevitable happens.

But seriously, float flying was one of the major reasons I bought the Super Cub, and I am very happy I did. It is a BLAST! I'll bet your friend already has a set of floats. Perhaps you can persuade him to let you try them out.

Like you, I started out with helis. Like me, you'll probably find yourself flying the Super Cub more. It sure is fun going to the "Dark Side".

Fishbonez 09-13-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybad (Post 833732)
THAT was step one. For step two, spend $21 on a set of floats to really increase the fun!!! Then spend $521 for a kayak to retrieve it when the inevitable happens.

But seriously, float flying was one of the major reasons I bought the Super Cub, and I am very happy I did. It is a BLAST! I'll bet your friend already has a set of floats. Perhaps you can persuade him to let you try them out.

Like you, I started out with helis. Like me, you'll probably find yourself flying the Super Cub more. It sure is fun going to the "Dark Side".

My Step 2 was a minicam but I am thinking about the floats for winter snow. They are cheaper than skis and skiing for that matter :D

earthsciteach 09-13-2011 03:26 AM

Floats? Yes! Question is, Bonez, pay the $24 for the stock floats or make my own? What do you think? Can't be hard at all, can it?

Fishbonez 09-13-2011 05:15 AM

I dont think it would be hard at all with my hot wire foam cutter and some sandpaper

mayday73 09-13-2011 06:02 PM

Hey guys,

A little update. The SC is nestled safely in the top of a 75ft tall tree. No way it's coming down. I considered cutting the tree down but realized wielding a chainsaw on public school grounds probably wasn't a good idea. Is it wrong that I was tempted?

Now, some may say this was foolish but I bought a PZ T-28D that I have successfuly maidened. I did however smack the ubiquitous soccer goal on my third landing. Ripped the wing right off the fuse. Some glue and tape and she's ready to go again. Looking forward to flying again this evening if the wind will die down some.

tarheal63 09-13-2011 08:41 PM

I am sorry for your loss...truly.:(

road king 97 09-13-2011 09:19 PM

I put my sea cruiser in a taaaaall tree 2 months ago and another guy did the same thing a tree over from me ten mintues later ,dam trees were ganging up on us that day.:mad: A fellow flyer brought out a very long fiberglass pole and a ladder and pushed them out for us but i was doing over 70 mph when the tree jumped out at me so i got back my motor and servos, rec and some other odds and ends. I wished i would have been going faster,:eek: my parts would have just flew out the other side. :D joe