WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   which electric plane for a small space, for a beginner? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66829)

artesina 05-18-2012 04:39 PM

which electric plane for a small space, for a beginner?
 
Hello to all
I just started with micro helicopters, after 1 month I bought a micro helicopter cp (mcpx v2) and I am very happy with windy; flight in a field of 20x20 m (a little bigger) surrounded by trees. in this field every time the kids pass.
Yesterday I tried the easy glider on top of a hill, but without people, I enjoyed it very much but I have no places near where you can go.
My question is:
There is an electric plane small enough to fly in a field so small even with some wind? Must be able to fly well in a small space and low speed so that if I have to change direction, I can do it quickly. The simulator G5 and tried the Pluma 3D; is quite big but slow flying in a small space and even with some wind.
I'm a beginner but people who saw me gliding and a "whole wing" (I hope is the correct name in English) of 1 meter told me that I have thumbs good :)
Is there something similar? (if possible with the ailerons and rudder).
thx
ciaooo
p.s: sorry for my bad english

AEAJR 05-18-2012 10:30 PM

Welcome to Wattflyer.

Your goal of a small, slow flying airplane that does well in the wind is a very difficult one. The smaller and slower the aircraft the more the wind will blow it around.

20 meters X 20 meters is a tiny flying space.

My best recommendations would be for one of the micro planes but they are not going to do well in more than 5 mph/about 8 kph of wind.

Examples would be:

The Ember RTF
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-2-rtf-PKZ3400

Albatross RTF can handle more wind but may not be slow enough for that space
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCKVV&P=7

GWS Slow Stick - kit
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAAAA&P=ML

artesina 05-18-2012 10:46 PM

I control now The space,was 30x30 m o little more;So there isnt a model for my specific request?
Thx all!!
@ AEAJR :
The planes that you have recommended are all without ailerons, there is a model with ailerons?

dahawk 05-19-2012 01:19 AM

Still thinking glider? If not, you may want to try the Hobby Zone Champ or something in that range.

-Hawk

AEAJR 05-19-2012 04:31 PM

I don't know your skill level with airplanes so I started with simple to fly slow flying airplanes but if you have the skills maybe a 3D airplane.

The IFO
http://wildrc.com/index.html

Flat out
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVA8&P=7

The Beast
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4850

The Hyper Taxi
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4780

artesina 05-19-2012 05:15 PM

The ifo was not good and don't work with wind.
The flat out was ok but work with wind? was good so bid in so little space?
The Beat was little difficult for me (on simulation g5) and doesn't work with wind
The Hiper taxi...nooo is not a airplaine or similar :) I don't like it.
The champ was perfect but no alierons.Champ works with wind?;there is a model like champ with alieron?
Thx
all
I like emx tecnology like beast but I don't find a model like champ with alieron and umx tecnologies
There is one?
Thx (non so big and that fly witn wind.
Electric glide or airplane for me is the same but the model must respet my hard request:
Model to move in a small space.
Shock resistant
Model that can fly with the wind.
A model that can fly with little speed, when asked (in my case, almost always... :) )
I'm no expert, but people who saw me fly with Hirobo (2 glider axis) have told me that I have good hands, are little more than a beginner

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEAJR (Post 870044)
I don't know your skill level with airplanes so I started with simple to fly slow flying airplanes but if you have the skills maybe a 3D airplane.

The IFO
http://wildrc.com/index.html

Flat out
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLVA8&P=7

The Beast
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4850

The Hyper Taxi
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-EFLU4780


kenchiroalpha 05-19-2012 05:45 PM

Hi
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4Ghz_RTF_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ervo_ARF_.html
Take care
Yours Hank

Rockin Robbins 05-19-2012 05:58 PM

You're making a fatal mistake if you think a simulator is the way to get information on what planes would be appropriate. Unfortunately simulators just are not that good yet. By far, people are a superior source of information for what you are looking for.

Here's the problem. The higher the ratio between the wind speed and the speed your plane flies the harder it will be to fly that plane. Larger planes fly faster than smaller planes, so they are much less affected. Also, the larger plane has more mass than the little one, so the same force moves it less from your flight path.

So slower planes and lighter planes are affected worse by the wind and you are looking for a slow, light airframe and expecting to find one that does well in wind. Nothing fits the bill well, but there are some compromises you can opt for.

One is a fast, aerobatic plane that maneuvers quickly so you can compensate for being bounce all over creation by that wind. As a beginner that setup won't help you because you won't be able to fly it even with no wind. They have no inherent stability and fly too fast for a beginner to learn anything before airframe destruction. Things will happen much too fast for you to be able to react properly or maybe not be able to react at all. You'll have a collection of broken pieces and no idea what went wrong. Therefore you won't learn anything.

Your best bet might be the compromise of a slower, 3-channel plane and let the wind disqualify you from flying most of the time. At least then you can learn to fly and gain the skill to do the first scheme successfully. You can't learn by crashing. You learn by successfully flying BEFORE you crash. If you don't have time to learn before the destruction you'll never learn how to fly. Flying is taught by success, not failure.

artesina 05-19-2012 06:29 PM

I know.
I hope there is a model that can works with a wind not a storm :)
what is the best compromise, respecting the size of the place where I fly there is a role model for people little more than beginners that also supports some wind?
If there is ok .. I was hoping you (with all the electronics we have today)
For example...I try an hirobo glider and was very simple for me , no problem for fly , little problem for landing :) no problem for fly and for landig with tha type of "glyder"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSsc9fr0CII
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins (Post 870060)
You're making a fatal mistake if you think a simulator is the way to get information on what planes would be appropriate. Unfortunately simulators just are not that good yet. By far, people are a superior source of information for what you are looking for.

Here's the problem. The higher the ratio between the wind speed and the speed your plane flies the harder it will be to fly that plane. Larger planes fly faster than smaller planes, so they are much less affected. Also, the larger plane has more mass than the little one, so the same force moves it less from your flight path.

So slower planes and lighter planes are affected worse by the wind and you are looking for a slow, light airframe and expecting to find one that does well in wind. Nothing fits the bill well, but there are some compromises you can opt for.

One is a fast, aerobatic plane that maneuvers quickly so you can compensate for being bounce all over creation by that wind. As a beginner that setup won't help you because you won't be able to fly it even with no wind. They have no inherent stability and fly too fast for a beginner to learn anything before airframe destruction. Things will happen much too fast for you to be able to react properly or maybe not be able to react at all. You'll have a collection of broken pieces and no idea what went wrong. Therefore you won't learn anything.

Your best bet might be the compromise of a slower, 3-channel plane and let the wind disqualify you from flying most of the time. At least then you can learn to fly and gain the skill to do the first scheme successfully. You can't learn by crashing. You learn by successfully flying BEFORE you crash. If you don't have time to learn before the destruction you'll never learn how to fly. Flying is taught by success, not failure.


hayofstacks 05-19-2012 06:40 PM

I can land a slow stick in a parking space, and set it up in less then 50 feet. But its a bit like trying to squeeze a refriderator through a door on a dollie way while running.

AEAJR 05-19-2012 08:41 PM

There are many planes that work well in wind, but not in a 30 meter by 30 meter space. My 3.4M Supra sailplane, with no motor, does fine in 15 to 20 mph winds when ballasted, but not in a 30 M by 30 m space.

Your problem is where you are flying. Now, if you had 300 meters by 300 meters I could give you a long list of planes.

zoltron55 05-19-2012 09:52 PM

find a bigger place to fly

hayofstacks 05-19-2012 10:14 PM

I agree. I fly my slow stick at the local park one of two church parking lots or a feild by my house. All of them are within walking distance. School play grounds also work well, and almost always have asphalt if you want to roll off ground. Within about 20 minutes drive, I have about places I can fly bigger planes, but I know a lot of you easterners have a harder time finding them.

artesina 05-20-2012 01:38 AM

i KNOW THE PROBLEM IS THE OPLACE but that is the place (other possibility is near the sea but if HAVE PROBLEM...ADIOS MODEL :) )
yOU KNOW THIS MODE?
eLECTRICFLY pLUMA 3D?
It can work on my little park with max 10 mPH ?
tHX
oN SIM THAT PLANES it is vey very simple to use on all condition just to 12 mph.
Thx
p.s:if I have big space I have no problem to find a plane :D

hayofstacks 05-20-2012 06:42 AM

Buy a indoor flyer and you won't have to worry about wind, or finding a flying site. They have micro lights you can fly through your living room made out of wire and plastic wrap. You could also take up helicopters.

AEAJR 05-20-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artesina (Post 870113)
i KNOW THE PROBLEM IS THE OPLACE but that is the place (other possibility is near the sea but if HAVE PROBLEM...ADIOS MODEL :) )
yOU KNOW THIS MODE?
eLECTRICFLY pLUMA 3D?
It can work on my little park with max 10 mPH ?
tHX
oN SIM THAT PLANES it is vey very simple to use on all condition just to 12 mph.
Thx
p.s:if I have big space I have no problem to find a plane :D

If you want people to look at a specific plane, it is best to post a link io that plane so we can look at it.

I did a search and found it. Similar to the 3D planes I listed. As good as any for such a small space and such high winds,

50+AirYears 05-29-2012 04:00 AM

I have found that my Venom Island Hopper can do well on a baseball diamond, even on the infield, and can also handle 15-20 mph winds, with a bit of concentration on my part. In fact, this last sunday, I was flying it within the width of my club field runway (roughly 75', or 23 M) with wind variable between 15 5o 25 mph( About 40 Kph).
It's a rudder elevator throttle plane, comes with a 3 channel radio on the 27 MHz band on FM, but the instruction manual also seems to show how to add Ailerons ( haven't read the instructions in over 3 years, though).

AEAJR 05-29-2012 08:17 AM

That is quite an accomplishment.

lets see, a BB diamond is 90x90 feet, or about 8100 sq ft.. If we add the infield area that is usually dirt we get to about 100 feet or 10,000 sq ft. And it has open space out to about 250 feet, which encourages smooth air.. That is about the same as 30mx30 but his space is surrounded by turbulance producing trees.. Still it might be a plane to try.

also take a look at the GWS estarter.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXBPRL&P=7

pizzano 05-29-2012 05:42 PM

I'd say, managing to keep a 37" wing span, (+/-)1.5lb, rudder only controlled (3ch) Venom Island Hopper in the air and "under control" with winds at 15-25mph, is more than "an accomplishment".....it's damn near impossible for the most experinced pilot!.....lol

Correct me if I'm off track....but the original request was from an inexperienced pilot looking for a craft that could be flown in a relatively small environment with a bit of wind........Although my experince with a Venom suggests it's a decent plane for the advanced beginner, (not enough dihedral), to allude to it's abilty to handle winds above 10mph even by an "experienced" pilot...is just plain poooooh!

AEAJR's suggestions are great choices...even for those (old guys like me) who just want to put around on a nice calm day at the ball field.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:26 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.10274 seconds with 13 queries