WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Turnigy 9x arming question (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66863)

Beemerider 05-21-2012 04:54 AM

Turnigy 9x arming question

I just installed a 9x system in my glider. Removed an old Futaba FM system that was working properly. After binding the rx everything worked fine except the throttle. Motor won't arm. I feel like it's a tx issue as both my old Futaba as well as a DX7i worked fine. I think I have something amiss with the tx as the rudder and ele work fine. I'm getting a complex set of beeps from the esc but don't know enough about esc's nor do I have documentation that tells me how to decode the beeps. Kinda think it's a throttle stick position issue but it's down with trim as well. So therefore I kinda think it's in the 9x tx setup and programming. I'm having a tough time understanding the online manuals for the 9x. Any ideas?

solentlife 05-21-2012 09:52 AM

Sounds the typical ESC arming situation :

Switch of everything.

a) Switch on Tx ... put throttle stick to FULL

b) Connect battery to model ... wait for BEEP - this indicates that ESC has detected FULL throttle position.

c) Bring throttle back to zero.... wait and ESC should beep a few times and then after maybe a few secs give a little music jingle telling you all is OK

I usually now switch all off and then reconnect with throttle at zero. You will hear beeps followed by music jingle ....

You can now control throttle.

IF the above doesn't work ... then REVERSE throttle ... and go through sequence again.

It's not the Tx ... it's the ESC doesn't know the throttle range.

All other controls will work ... rudder / elevator etc. as they are only getting Rx power from ESC not commands.

Beemerider 05-23-2012 02:33 AM

Ok, got it!

Went to the flying field today and finally figured it out. You were right of course, had to set both end points of the throttle and it saw it. I did find I needed to reverse the throttle in the radio setup and then it all worked fine.

Tossed the plane in the air and it all did wonderfully. Back on the ground and made adjustments with D/R and Expo and tossed it again. Had fun till storm clouds got too close and had to call it a day.

Thanks again!

Wayne

SuchIsLife 05-23-2012 01:03 PM

Take care reversing throttle with the plane plugged in ;)
Make sure you have a good grip on the tail. On second thoughts just don't do it :D

solentlife 05-23-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchIsLife (Post 870620)
Take care reversing throttle with the plane plugged in ;)
Make sure you have a good grip on the tail. On second thoughts just don't do it :D

Agreed in most circumstance ... but in this motor is not arming ... and I did say repeat sequence ....

Point taken though as once a motor / esc is set and liable to arm .............