WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Spektrum Rx question (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67999)

Beemerider 09-15-2012 03:15 AM

Spektrum Rx question

1 Attachment(s)
I have a new AR6200 rx that I'm preparing to put in a new plane. I noticed this evening when attempting to plug in servos and esc that there are ribs molded into the receiver case that won't allow me to plug in my servos etc. I remember from my early 72 mhz Futaba days the rx's and servo leads being polarized to prevent improper connection. I assume Spektrum servos have the polarized plug to facilitate proper connection.

Since I'm not using Spektrum servos I intend to use my Dremel and grind off the plastic tab molded into the rx case so as to allow me to plug in my servos. Is this the proper way to approach this or am I missing something? (other than buying all my servos from Spektrum)

In the attached pic the tabs are somewhat visible in the bottom side of the plug opening.

xmech2k 09-15-2012 03:26 AM

I don't ever recall seeing any of those in my Spektrum rx's. But I don't have that exact model rx either.

pmullen503 09-15-2012 04:13 AM

It's easier to trim the corner off the servo connectors if they don't fit. The corners are there to prevent you from plugging in the servo backwards.

Wildflyer 09-15-2012 04:54 AM

If you are referring to the little triangular bump on the lower edge, That is the polarizing device. JR & Spektrum servo leads have two corners beveled at a 45 degree, it is slight but it is there. Full size JR receivers, many times have that little bump along both sides of the plug area. Works pretty good, but you can force them in wrong.

If you have Futaba servos, they will have a ridge along one edge of the plug, I just trim that off, scrape a bevel on the edges and plug them in.

I have never found a need to cut the receiver case.

In your picture, the signal wire will be the top row, then positive, with negative on the bottom row. The signal wire is almost always the pin that would have the closest relationship to the circuitry on the board. Pos & neg are common from pin to pin, or left to right

Beemerider 09-15-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildflyer (Post 882313)
If you are referring to the little triangular bump on the lower edge, That is the polarizing device. JR & Spektrum servo leads have two corners beveled at a 45 degree, it is slight but it is there. Full size JR receivers, many times have that little bump along both sides of the plug area. Works pretty good, but you can force them in wrong.

If you have Futaba servos, they will have a ridge along one edge of the plug, I just trim that off, scrape a bevel on the edges and plug them in.

I have never found a need to cut the receiver case.

In your picture, the signal wire will be the top row, then positive, with negative on the bottom row. The signal wire is almost always the pin that would have the closest relationship to the circuitry on the board. Pos & neg are common from pin to pin, or left to right

Thanks Wildflyer

You answered a question I had forgotten to ask--that of proper direction of servo lead. I would have ultimately figured it out but you saved me some head scratching. After seeing the previous answer I did the forehead slap thing and wondered why I didn't see that before as the obvious answer. My servos are the inexpensive 9gr variety and slightly filing off the plug corner is the ticket.

Many thanks to everyone's help!

rcers 09-15-2012 12:37 PM

It would sure be nice if Futaba would adapt the universal connector standard like the rest of the world.

Mike

Beemerider 09-16-2012 01:34 AM

I guess yesterday was just not my day. First I cooked my charger, then thought I'd have to modify my servo leads to fit my receiver. This evening took another look at the rx and found that indeed the servo leads do fit properly without any modifications. I guess I was just tired and not thinking clearly.

My B6 charger is still zapped but at least I got my rx installed in the plane. Ordered another B6 btw. Thanks for all the responses!

pilotpete2 09-20-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 882334)
It would sure be nice if Futaba would adapt the universal connector standard like the rest of the world.

Mike

It would even be nicer if JR/Spektrum and Airtronics would have the Futaba orientation slots in their receiver cases as Hitec does:)
The slot for the Futaba orientation (not polarity) tab acts as a positive reference for orientating the JR universal style plugs without having to look for the markings on the case. Signal lead goes towards the slot, simple:cool:
FWIW, Futaba servo plugs have had the bevels on them for many years, so trimming the tab off is all that's needed to use them on JR and Airtronics receivers.
I still have JR/universal style connectors on some of my planes, for aileron connections you have to be careful to watch your wire colors, as it's easy to get them reversed. A PITA if you find out after bolting on the wing that one of your ailerons is not working. Been there, done that:oops:
Pete

rcers 09-20-2012 07:49 PM

Pete - you are right that too would be great. Hitec gets it... :)

pilotpete2 09-20-2012 08:26 PM

rcers,
I've been down a long road with connector confoosion!
My first radio, a Futaba Conquest AM used the ancient G connectors (the servo leads were actually male), my second an Attack AM with G connectors, then onto old style Airtronics with their insane plug with the negative in the center, which was a recipe for disaster.
For a long time I used only JR universal stuff, but when I got back to Futaba, I started to appreciate the tabbed J connector, especially for stuff like aileron servos extensions.
Cheers,
Pete
P.S. I'm usually right only 2 times a day, just like the brass ships bell clock in our living room, it's right only twice a day:D

hayofstacks 09-20-2012 08:31 PM

I use no name brand 6" extensions then just make sure red and black go together, on my aleroins.