WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   AMA mambership - a waste of money? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72721)

FlyWheel 12-04-2013 03:47 AM

AMA mambership - a waste of money?
 
I sent in my $68 dollars (it went up!) for membership, mainly so I could retain membership in my 'local' flying club and use their very large field. Well, when I got my confirmation and new card it also came with an flyer announcing that AMA members can receive a discount on their [Nationwide] car insurance! Well it turns out that my truck is insured by Nationwide (both have been for over a decade) so I took the flyer and my card in to see what this was all about, as it was about time for me to renew anyway.

Well it seems they do offer this discount, so while one lady took my card to be Xeroxed, my agent figured out what my new rate would be. Turns out that I will now be paying $72 less per year! Not only does this completely offset my AMA membership fee, but if you do the math you'll see that technically the AMA is actually paying me $4 a year to be one of their members!

Not much of a waste at all, it seems! :D:$

mclarkson 12-04-2013 05:14 AM

:D

It's been months since we've had a good "AMA is a waste of money" thread.

BroncoSquid 12-04-2013 05:16 AM

Man, I was all ready to read a good rant....... I am disappointed.

Good on ya, I wonder if USAA dose the same thing?

Which reminds me I need to renew.

d_wheel 12-04-2013 06:30 PM

I know of a couple of occasions where they have paid off, so their insurance seems good. Our flying site is in a city park and the city requires insurance. AMA is just the easiest, simplest, way for me to comply. The magazine in my case seems worthless, so I opted out when I renewed this year. I can look at the on line magazine and won't have to contribute the over full land fill.

Later;

D.W.

dahawk 12-04-2013 06:40 PM

" Mambership" is required in our neck of the woods. The liability insurance is the key thing

swimmer 12-04-2013 07:14 PM

New Years Resolution for me: After flying for many years I plan to become an AMA member in 2014. I also plan on checking out/joining the local RC club. (Feeling very tentative about the rc club thing, however.)

xmech2k 12-04-2013 07:52 PM

Swimmer, don't feel bad about checking out those clubs. While I've heard horror stories about some, the 2 I'm in are full of interesting, helpful, and fun people. I'll bet more are in the fun category. You might be missing out on something. You don't have to join to just go see. When you have your AMA card, bring a plane and see if they'll invite you to fly as a guest.

This thread reminds me to go renew everything now!

Larry3215 12-08-2013 07:48 AM

In the near future, it may become illegal to fly any kind of RC if you're NOT an AMA member.

It will depend on the exact wording of the new FAA proposal and how it gets translated into law.

Keep your fingers crossed that thats the only 'bad' thing to come out of the new regs that are on the way :)

swimmer 12-08-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry3215 (Post 933534)
In the near future, it may become illegal to fly any kind of RC if you're NOT an AMA member.

It will depend on the exact wording of the new FAA proposal and how it gets translated into law.

Keep your fingers crossed that thats the only 'bad' thing to come out of the new regs that are on the way :)

A law like that would be unenforceable and is discriminatory. There's that old Constitution thing again. The AMA would cease to exist or be radically diminished due to competition from other established or new model airplane associations when it is unlawful to fly if you aren't a member of some organization. RC airplane manufacturers would go out of business. Kinda like telling people you can't buy/own a gun.

Besides, there is nothing wrong flying without an AMA membership and we in this country still have a choice in some things. Want to kill the AMA....just let a law like this get passed.

rcers 12-08-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmer (Post 933563)
A law like that would be unenforceable and is discriminatory. There's that old Constitution thing again. The AMA would cease to exist or be radically diminished due to competition from other established or new model airplane associations when it is unlawful to fly if you aren't a member of some organization. RC airplane manufacturers would go out of business. Kinda like telling people you can't buy/own a gun.

Besides, there is nothing wrong flying without an AMA membership and we in this country still have a choice in some things. Want to kill the AMA....just let a law like this get passed.

I used to think that too, until our forced, national health care law. Don't want to turn this political, but now we have precedence.

I too think that will cause competition and we will see other "nationally based organizations" pop up. The law will not say you have to go with one (AMA) but will give choices, but would indeed be able to force membership. They will certainly be the go-to choice however.

Several AMA alternatives have been setup in the past. SFA, UMA for example. There is another one, in the wings, prepping for the FAA ruling. I can't find that site now after searching but suspect you are right we will see others.

But overall I don't think it will hurt AMA much and in fact you will see their flock grow, rather dramatically.

Mike

Fishbonez 12-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 933575)
But overall I don't think it will hurt AMA much and in fact you will see their flock grow, rather dramatically.

Mike

Totally agree. I joined for that reason alone the laws that are coming soon and a fear that they will one day shut down the local soccer field I fly at to all RC flight. Many years ago I understand there was a glow/nitro plane club there and they were quick rid of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmer (Post 933138)
New Years Resolution for me: After flying for many years I plan to become an AMA member in 2014. I also plan on checking out/joining the local RC club. (Feeling very tentative about the rc club thing, however.)

Swimmer I am feeling the exact same way, as said above I just recently joined the AMA and have been considering joining the local club here. I have to attend 3 meetings, just to get to know them, and the first went rather well and seem to be a nice bunch of guys. Time will tell

Larry3215 12-08-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmer (Post 933563)
A law like that would be unenforceable and is discriminatory. There's that old Constitution thing again. The AMA would cease to exist or be radically diminished due to competition from other established or new model airplane associations when it is unlawful to fly if you aren't a member of some organization. RC airplane manufacturers would go out of business. Kinda like telling people you can't buy/own a gun.

Besides, there is nothing wrong flying without an AMA membership and we in this country still have a choice in some things. Want to kill the AMA....just let a law like this get passed.

You seem to think that anything you want to do is a "right". Thats not true at all and never has been. Many of them are privileges - not rights. There is a very big difference and they are NOT guaranteed by the constitution in any way shape or form.


Here are just a very few of the 'privileges' that require a 'license' (Government approval) of some sort before you can do them legally. Many of these also require government inspections of the vehicle, thing or device as well as a personal license before you can use/do them legally.

Drive a car
Fly an airplane
Operate a boat
drive a train
drive a buss
drive a taxi
In many places bicycles have to be registered.
practice medicine
practice law
carry a concealed weapon
use a public park
go fishing
go hunting
operate a business
build a home
live in a home
own a restaurant
etc, etc, etc.....

Flying RC models is a privilege - not a right guaranteed by law.

In fact, there are already any number of ways and places where it is 100% illegal to fly RC or operate an rc car or boat.

99.99% of the current laws regulating RC are from LOCAL governments - not federal.

The only federal laws currently on the books have to do with interfering with full scale flight operations and operating rc models on federal park lands.

This new law is/will be just an extension of the current law.

Larry3215 12-08-2013 08:48 PM

One more thing - the new law may not require you to actually join the AMA or another similar organization. It may only require you to follow their "safety rules" as approved by the FAA.

You might still be legal if you're NOT an AMA member as long as you're following the AMA safety guidelines while you're flying AND obeying all other local, State and Federal laws.

We will have to see how the law is actually worded.

swimmer 12-08-2013 09:59 PM

Larry, Larry Larry...Take a deep breath, Son. You don't know what I think so please don't make an argument out of this persons thread. I'll not argue with you even though you took my post totally out of context and made up a bunch based on your assumptions. I'm beginning to remember why I have avoided the AMA and organized clubs like a plague for so many years.

And...one more thing, Larry, I've never thought of RC flying as a right, privilege or anything else other than FUN! If we lose that perspective we should find something else to do.

By the way, I've spent most of the afternoon transferring data from my DX7 and DX6i to my new DX8. Now, that is a chore!

xmech2k 12-09-2013 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry3215 (Post 933632)
...Here are just a very few of the 'privileges' that require a 'license' (Government approval) of some sort before you can do them legally. Many of these also require government inspections of the vehicle, thing or device as well as a personal license before you can use/do them legally.

Drive a car
Fly an airplane
Operate a boat
drive a train
drive a buss
drive a taxi
In many places bicycles have to be registered.
practice medicine
practice law
carry a concealed weapon
use a public park
go fishing
go hunting
operate a business
build a home
live in a home
own a restaurant
etc, etc, etc.....

You forgot spandex.

Well, it should be a privilege! ;)

dahawk 12-09-2013 12:21 AM

I thought it was more about having some liability insurance more than anything. But if you hit a baby stroller or fly through someone's windshield, that won't be enough to deter a trial lawyer.

thosmosis 12-09-2013 04:02 PM

What about the Park Pilot program? I just got that -- kind of by accident. I assumed that it was just the full membership and didn't know that it wasn't. My idea was to join the local club. So, I got the membership, and went on the site to join, and saw. Park Pilot not allowed. Only full member. I was a little disappointed. But now that I ended up teaching my self to fly -- learning along side another newb that lives near me, I realize that I would have never gone to the club field anyway. Well, at least not now. All of my stuff is small -- so I can go closer to home and fly.

But I know that the Park Pilot program comes with less insurance and all. But beyond being able to join a "real" club, how different are the two?

FlyWheel 12-09-2013 05:26 PM

Mymymy... And here I thought I had just made a simple comment on how the discount to my auto insurance had more than payed off the membership dues. Guess I shoulda known better.

It's not unlike mentioning the "H-word" in a bicycling forum! :rolleyes:

crxmanpat 12-09-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thosmosis (Post 933706)
What about the Park Pilot program? I just got that -- kind of by accident. I assumed that it was just the full membership and didn't know that it wasn't. My idea was to join the local club. So, I got the membership, and went on the site to join, and saw. Park Pilot not allowed. Only full member. I was a little disappointed. But now that I ended up teaching my self to fly -- learning along side another newb that lives near me, I realize that I would have never gone to the club field anyway. Well, at least not now. All of my stuff is small -- so I can go closer to home and fly.

But I know that the Park Pilot program comes with less insurance and all. But beyond being able to join a "real" club, how different are the two?

If you really want to join that club, you do have the option of upgrading your Park Pilot membership for a full membership by paying the difference.

crxmanpat 12-09-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 933711)
It's not unlike mentioning the "H-word" in a bicycling forum! :rolleyes:

HUFFY!

Sorry, I just had to. :D

pizzano 12-09-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 933725)
HUFFY!

Sorry, I just had to. :D

LOL....hey, my Huffy lasted me 10 years before I went Schwinn......!

Yakfishingfool 12-09-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thosmosis (Post 933706)
What about the Park Pilot program? I just got that -- kind of by accident. I assumed that it was just the full membership and didn't know that it wasn't. My idea was to join the local club. So, I got the membership, and went on the site to join, and saw. Park Pilot not allowed. Only full member. I was a little disappointed. But now that I ended up teaching my self to fly -- learning along side another newb that lives near me, I realize that I would have never gone to the club field anyway. Well, at least not now. All of my stuff is small -- so I can go closer to home and fly.

But I know that the Park Pilot program comes with less insurance and all. But beyond being able to join a "real" club, how different are the two?


Did the same thing here and called AMA, they were very accommodating to help me upgrade to full fledged member. The big difference was the insurance if I recall. Scott

Bubblehead21 12-09-2013 08:15 PM

did anyone find out if USAA offers the same deal?
this is pretty nice.... save the cost of membership!

FlyWheel 12-12-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 933728)
LOL....hey, my Huffy lasted me 10 years before I went Schwinn......!

Was that a real Schwinn? Or it's imposter? Schwinn went bankrupt in 1993; the ones you see (mainly in the X-Marts) these days are Schwinns in trademark only.

In 1993 Richard Schwinn, great-grandson of Ignaz Schwinn, with business partner Marc Muller, purchased the Schwinn Paramount plant in Waterford, Wisconsin, where Paramounts were built since 1980. They founded Waterford Precision Cycles, which is still in operation. They are the closest you can get to a genuine Schwinn, unless you buy used.

And the "H-word" in this case is "helmet". ;-)

dahawk 12-12-2013 02:15 PM

Yeah,

My wife is related to the Schwinn family. They had a gorgeous lake house on Lake Geneva in Wisc. Miss my Schwinn Stingray but I digress. LOL

Back on point- Why would anyone not want to join AMA or hope that your home owners liability insurance covers hitting the baby stroller at a park?


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.10034 seconds with 13 queries