WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chit Chat (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   DC-10 last passenger flight. Goodbye. (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72741)

xmech2k 12-07-2013 04:59 AM

DC-10 last passenger flight. Goodbye.

Just saw this.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3

I worked on DC-10's a while when I was A&P'ing for the airlines. Not my favorite plane to work on, but sad to see her go. Always fun working up on the patio, :rolleyes: for anyone who knows. Still, she carries on with the freight hauling I suppose.

kyleservicetech 12-07-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 933357)
Just saw this.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/travel...html?hpt=hp_c3

I worked on DC-10's a while when I was A&P'ing for the airlines. Not my favorite plane to work on, but sad to see her go. Always fun working up on the patio, :rolleyes: for anyone who knows. Still, she carries on with the freight hauling I suppose.

Brings back memories of a flight I had on the DC 10. The plane landed in Spokane, and they announced that the continuing flight to Chicago was canceled. We had to scramble to get a flight back to Milwaukee.

Some aircraft crewmen were looking at the engines of the plane we were on.

That's when I found out about the awful DC 10 crash in Chicago.

xmech2k 12-07-2013 05:58 AM

I was in Junior High School when that happened. And we lived very close to O'Hare airport. We left ona vacation to Wisconsin that day after school, and drove right by the crash sight on the freeway. Saw helicopters landing at the Howard Johnsons. Scary stuff.

solentlife 12-07-2013 06:02 AM

Was flying Singapore via Bahrain to UK on a DC10 ...

When on approach to Bahrain ... was an almighty bang and aircraft shook ... We landed and de-planed.

Sitting in the departure lounge all clutching our Transit cards - we could see guys crawling all over the tail engine.

Typical airlines - they tell you nothing ... but it was obvious by the work we could see going on - this was no 5 minute check-over and the bang sort of gave it away !!

People started pressing the desks for answers and transfers to other flights ... and finally we were all transferred to alternative flights ... myself on to one of the last remaining VC10's still doing that route.

Nigel

kyleservicetech 12-07-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 933362)
Was flying Singapore via Bahrain to UK on a DC10 ...

When on approach to Bahrain ... was an almighty bang and aircraft shook ... We landed and de-planed.

Sitting in the departure lounge all clutching our Transit cards - we could see guys crawling all over the tail engine.

Typical airlines - they tell you nothing ... but it was obvious by the work we could see going on - this was no 5 minute check-over and the bang sort of gave it away !!

People started pressing the desks for answers and transfers to other flights ... and finally we were all transferred to alternative flights ... myself on to one of the last remaining VC10's still doing that route.

Nigel

Yeah
Years ago, I was traveling from Fargo ND on a 707. (Yup awhile ago!) I was seated on the right side of the plane, with full view of the engine right next to the window. Heard the two engines wind up on the left, then the one right by me. It wound up, spooled down, wound up, spooled down, and shut down.

Now I was wide awake. A couple of guys came over with a van full of tools. They pulled the engine cowling off, never saw so much complex stuff in my life. The mechanic walked over to the van, pulled out a big rubber mallet, and whacked a part on the engine.

The cowling went back, on, and we took off to Milwaukee with no further problems. (True story!)

solentlife 12-07-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 933364)
Yeah
Years ago, I was traveling from Fargo ND on a 707. (Yup awhile ago!) I was seated on the right side of the plane, with full view of the engine right next to the window. Heard the two engines wind up on the left, then the one right by me. It wound up, spooled down, wound up, spooled down, and shut down.

Now I was wide awake. A couple of guys came over with a van full of tools. They pulled the engine cowling off, never saw so much complex stuff in my life. The mechanic walked over to the van, pulled out a big rubber mallet, and whacked a part on the engine.

The cowling went back, on, and we took off to Milwaukee with no further problems. (True story!)

My Brother before joining Southern Air (the old renamed Air America) .. he flew with Uganda Airways ... 707's ... (Subac and Alpha Lima) ...

Alpha Lima was actually on the ground and got shot up by the Israeli commandos during the raid ...

Nigel

rcers 12-07-2013 11:43 AM

Wow amazing. Been gone from the US here a good while. They burned a LOT of fuel.

In my AA days I remember taking the DC-10 from DFW to SEA many times to visit family. It left right after work and always had seats for non-revs. :)

Mike

dahawk 12-07-2013 03:46 PM

I too was there that fateful day in Chicago. Working in Park Ridge, just East of O'Hare. The black plume coming from Des Plaines still resonates. Terrible tragedy. And not to forget the Sioux falls, IA United cartwheel crash where the nation watched happened on TV. Took several flights in DC-10 and was always in awe of just how wide that really was. Kind of the wide body for the masses in its day.

In the RC world, Demon Driver (Chris) over on RCG is a master at making scale RC airliners. The level of detail is amazing. DC-10, MD-80, Convair 880, L1011, you name it, he's made it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=dc+10

-Hawk

crxmanpat 12-07-2013 04:07 PM

I see MD-10s and 11s on a daily basis at Phoenix Sky Harbor. All FedEx and UPS birds.

rcers 12-07-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 933400)
I see MD-10s and 11s on a daily basis at Phoenix Sky Harbor. All FedEx and UPS birds.

Yep - they are great for cargo (range and capacity). The economics are different too. They got a bunch of 11's from AA.

I suspect they will be in use for cargo for a while but they do burn fuel pretty readily....

Mike

kyleservicetech 12-07-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 933384)
Wow amazing. Been gone from the US here a good while. They burned a LOT of fuel.

In my AA days I remember taking the DC-10 from DFW to SEA many times to visit family. It left right after work and always had seats for non-revs. :)

Mike

Yeah
For those who have traveled by air on one of those giant 747's, DC10's and the Airbus planes, the first time you step inside one of these cabins, it is stunning. Then, you wonder just how in the world this giant house on wings ever gets off the ground???

rcers 12-07-2013 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 933403)
Yeah
For those who have traveled by air on one of those giant 747's, DC10's and the Airbus planes, the first time you step inside one of these cabins, it is stunning. Then, you wonder just how in the world this giant house on wings ever gets off the ground???

Great big jet engines. My buddy is a mechanic at AA (well I have several) and I have seen them up close and personally. They are really stunning. The fan on the 777 is HUGE.

solentlife 12-07-2013 07:12 PM

Quite often I go on the 380's ...

To be honest since Wide-bodies came in and then they squeezed even more seats in - we are back to VC10 / 707 style cram them in cattle wagons !

Nigel

Wildflyer 12-07-2013 07:28 PM

A RC friend of ours about 25 years ago, was a pilot for one of the big airlines. He flew a 747 back and forth to Japan. my dad flew copilot in a Aero Commander, asked him how he liked flying the 747, his answer was;

"The d:censor: thing is about as exciting as sitting in the corner window of an apartment."

solentlife 12-07-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildflyer (Post 933433)
A RC friend of ours about 25 years ago, was a pilot for one of the big airlines. He flew a 747 back and forth to Japan. my dad flew copilot in a Aero Commander, asked him how he liked flying the 747, his answer was;

"The d:censor: thing is about as exciting as sitting in the corner window of an apartment."

Why do you think so many Pilots also fly machines like Tiger Moths etc. ?

Nigel

kyleservicetech 12-08-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 933405)
Great big jet engines. My buddy is a mechanic at AA (well I have several) and I have seen them up close and personally. They are really stunning. The fan on the 777 is HUGE.

On a flight back from Athens Greece a few years ago, they announced over the PA system that the 747 we were flying on was burning 60 gallons of jet fuel a MINUTE for the entire flight.

Kind of puts a different light on it, doesn't it?

xmech2k 12-08-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 933476)
On a flight back from Athens Greece a few years ago, they announced over the PA system that the 747 we were flying on was burning 60 gallons of jet fuel a MINUTE for the entire flight.

Yeah, but considering how many people and how much crap it's hauling, and how fast, it's probably still more economical than a SmartCar! :rolleyes:

I'm working on turbines in a shop now, but I still kinda miss the airport and the planes.

What was real fun in the diesel-10 was the jump seat. In the 727 the jumpseat is a cramped affair, but in the -10 you get this HUGE window right next to you! The best seat I ever had in a plane.

rcers 12-08-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Yep and the 777 is about 28 gallons per minute. Carries about 300 people vs the 450 of the 747. Still much more fuel efficient. Less engines is good. :)

Both carry a person more efficiently than any gasoline powered car however. :) Amazing.

Wildflyer 12-08-2013 01:34 AM

Quote:

I've heard a AA Fuel Dragster is using burning 1.5 gallons of Nitro Methane per second (90 gallons / minute) and is creating more energy than a 747, yet this is going through a big V8 motor!