WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   3D Flying (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Use a T-28 motor mount to fit a Hacker motor in your Visionaire (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72751)

MyronW 12-08-2013 07:40 AM

Use a T-28 motor mount to fit a Hacker motor in your Visionaire

4 Attachment(s)
My Visionaire developed a case of the wobblies where the ailerons would flutter at medium throttle. I suspected that the motor shaft was bent, so I pulled it out and checked it on a surface plate. Dead straight. I discovered that several magnets had broken loose and had shifted, causing the imbalance and ruining the motor. It was my fault, so I didn't pursue a warranty replacement.

After doing a lot of research, I decided to try a Hacker A30-10L motor. When it arrived, I found that the shaft placement is reversed and that the motor has to be "backmounted", with a bolt-on prop adapter.
Using the included cross-type mount, I mounted the motor in the VA, but the prop adapter was too short. I tried to build a mount out of plywood and carbon fiber, but it exploded in my hands as I mounted the motor. An aluminum mount didn't fit at all, and I could not find any suitable mounts, so my plane sat there.

A trip to my LHS yesterday led me to discover that the motor mount from a Parkzone T-28 works perfectly! It fits the Visionaire motor mount as if it were made for it, and the prop adapter now clears the cowl. It was necessary to enlarge the hole in the cowl to allow clearance for the can, but not much.

I still need to adjust the CG and wait for the rain to stop, and then I'm going flying!

JetPlaneFlyer 12-08-2013 07:49 AM

The hacker A30's are nice motors it should go well.

Seems that the hardware in the Visionaire might not be the best. I've already read a lot about failing servos and now the motor. This is why i prefer an ARF where you can pick your own hardware.

MyronW 12-08-2013 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Umm... the motor failed because I nosed it in trying to avoid a barbed-wire fence while landing. The impact knocked the magnets loose, among other things.

The root cause was my failure to reset the timer on my DX8. The battery hit cutoff and the airplane went deadstick. No more flying that day.

JetPlaneFlyer 12-08-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyronW (Post 933616)
Umm... the motor failed because I nosed it in trying to avoid a barbed-wire fence while landing. The impact knocked the magnets loose, among other things.

Ahhh, that puts a different complexion on it:D

kyleservicetech 12-09-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyronW (Post 933533)
My Visionaire developed a case of the wobblies where the ailerons would flutter at medium throttle. I suspected that the motor shaft was bent, so I pulled it out and checked it on a surface plate. Dead straight. I discovered that several magnets had broken loose and had shifted, causing the imbalance and ruining the motor. It was my fault, so I didn't pursue a warranty replacement.

After doing a lot of research, I decided to try a Hacker A30-10L motor. When it arrived, I found that the shaft placement is reversed and that the motor has to be "backmounted", with a bolt-on prop adapter.
Using the included cross-type mount, I mounted the motor in the VA, but the prop adapter was too short. I tried to build a mount out of plywood and carbon fiber, but it exploded in my hands as I mounted the motor. An aluminum mount didn't fit at all, and I could not find any suitable mounts, so my plane sat there.

A trip to my LHS yesterday led me to discover that the motor mount from a Parkzone T-28 works perfectly! It fits the Visionaire motor mount as if it were made for it, and the prop adapter now clears the cowl. It was necessary to enlarge the hole in the cowl to allow clearance for the can, but not much.

I still need to adjust the CG and wait for the rain to stop, and then I'm going flying!

Nice Job!!!

Around here, we're waiting for the snow to stop. But even while it was snowing at our field today, four guys flew their models IN the snow!