WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Support & Suggestions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How to Delete a Post in New Thread (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72798)

Tsavah 12-13-2013 09:07 AM

How to Delete a Post in New Thread

I am looking about in a thread I created, but I don't see an option to delete posts that are adverts for adult toys. Obviously a bot was used since the same post was sent five times in less than 7 minutes. What am I missing? I did find and use the ignore member option, but hey, this is my thread and I cannot delete posts? Somethings not right about that.

Don Sims 12-13-2013 10:05 AM

We've got a great bunch of volunteer mods and volunteer admins who will take care of that for you as soon as one of us logs in. Just hit the "Report this post" button when you have a concern and we'll take a look at it then do the appropriate action.

solentlife 12-13-2013 10:55 AM

Forgive me for posting here ...

I read OP and I am concerned about the " this is my thread and I cannot delete posts" bit ...

IMHO - it's perfectly fair to be able to delete OWN posts ... but not so fair to be able to delete OTHER peoples posts even if it's your own thread. Sort of Big Brother 'ish ??

Someone posts contrary and BHAM - delete it !

Just commenting ...

Nigel

eagle33 12-13-2013 01:04 PM

Where is the "Report this Post" button?

JetPlaneFlyer 12-13-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle33 (Post 934277)
Where is the "Report this Post" button?

Red triangle with the '!' in it located bottom left.

eagle33 12-13-2013 01:32 PM

Got it. Thank you!

Tsavah 12-13-2013 04:57 PM

How to Delete ...

I must see if I can find the "Report this ..." option. I am sure there is no need to allow an advert post to remain in a thread to take up storage space on the system hard drives. Especially since it is for adult toys and is repeated more than five times in less than 10 minutes. In other sites I have had some of my posts removed and I was fine with it because I feel a thread author should have that right.

Allowing the author of a thread to delete posts seems like a very practical option. I suppose I am spoiled since that is a common option on other sites and it makes sense to allow the thread maker to manage what is posted. Otherwise it is easy to imagine what might end up in a thread and how easy it would be for hackers with bots to drive administrators nuts with postings.

eagle33 12-13-2013 05:05 PM

Where are you Tsavah, Lawton, OK?

crxmanpat 12-13-2013 05:11 PM

Tsavah,

We do not allow members to delete posts from threads, except in the case of a Sticky thread, then the original author can moderate that thread. It is the job of the Mods and Admins to determine if certain posts need modifying or deletion.

As Don said above, we have a great group of dedicated Mods that will help with killing spammers and cleaning up threads. All you have to do is report any offending posts using the "Report Post" feature.

The report post button is located in the left hand column of each post, under the User Name and Stats. It looks like a warning triangle with a "!" in the middle. All you need to do is click on that icon on any offending post and it will send the Mods a message.

Thanks!

crxmanpat 12-13-2013 05:15 PM

Also, regarding your last post on your $75 thread, you have two options:

1 - Simple option is to edit your post and just put "...".

2 - Ask a Mod to delete your post (only takes a second for us to do).

JetPlaneFlyer 12-13-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsavah (Post 934293)

Allowing the author of a thread to delete posts seems like a very practical option. I suppose I am spoiled since that is a common option on other sites and it makes sense to allow the thread maker to manage what is posted.

I'm unaware of any other discussion group forums that allows users to delete other people's posts in threads, even if they started the threads.

The only type of threads where that can normally be done is private blogs.

crxmanpat 12-13-2013 05:44 PM

Some forums will allow the author of a Sticky thread to moderate that thread themselves (it's that way on RCGroups, but not sure about here).

JetPlaneFlyer 12-13-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 934301)
Some forums will allow the author of a Sticky thread to moderate that thread themselves

But not normal threads, I'm unaware of any forum that allows the thread starter to remove other's posts in regular discussion threads.

crxmanpat 12-13-2013 06:04 PM

Correct, and that's the way it should be. Otherwise you'd have anarchy on the board. Having Mods is the solution to keeping things civil and under control (well, on most boards anyway :rolleyes:).

solentlife 12-13-2013 07:31 PM

I am founder and moderator on various boards ... I am registered on many ... and none to my knowledge allow a thread 'creator' to delete anothers post in that thread. That would give opportunity to create completely biased back-slapper threads that have no value to anyone at all.

I understand the OP's question if Bots or spam have invaded a thread - but that is still moderators job .. a thankless job as well.

Nigel