WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   3D Flying (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Nitromodels Raven 30e Prop Sizes? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72863)

yamahafunkplayer 12-26-2013 10:57 PM

Nitromodels Raven 30e Prop Sizes?

Hey everyone, I am hoping someone has the Raven that i have, and may be able to share some insight with me.

the build manual suggests a 14x7 prop, but it seems to be a bit too large.

my power system is a turnigy sk3 42-750kv on 4s 2250mah and 60amp esc. i've flown the same setup on my Electrostik and it is a ton of power. (800+ watts or so) I use a 11 x 8 on the stick. wondering if 12x8 will be the way to go, but it looks too small on the front of the Raven. (as in the cowling is huge in comparison to the stick)

also have a 13x8 3 blade, looks awesome, but wont fit into the 2" spinner (dubro) any one have any ideas? and any one know what brand of 13 and 14 inch props that will fit in a 2 inch spinner? (i have dubro 2 and 3 blade spinners, same 2" dia. to match the cowling)

the props referred to above are all Master Airscrew G/F Nylon series.

thanks in advance!
-G.

CHELLIE 12-26-2013 11:04 PM

Hi :ws: the specs suggest a 13 x 6.5 Prop, if you have to, trim/cut your spinner to fit the prop or buy a spinner that will fit a 13 x 6.5 prop. take care, Chellie

Specifications:
Wingspan: 49" (1245mm)
Length: 47" (1190mm)
Wing Area: 457sq in (39.5 dm2)
Flying Weight: 2.6-2.9lbs (1200-1300g)
Required to Fly:
Build Materials
Assembly of Plane
Propellar APC 13x6.5-E and Spinner
4 Servos
4-6 Channel Radio System
Brushless Motor: A3714 OUTRUNER
Brushless Electronic Speed Controller 45 Amp
ESC 45A
Li-Po 3-4 cell

JetPlaneFlyer 12-26-2013 11:12 PM

14x7 sounds just right for a 750kv motor of that size on 4s. That's by default set up on several 48-52" 3D planes.

Master Airscrew props are good only for stirring paint. Use an APC 'thin electric' or Zoar PJN wood prop, these are FAR more efficient for electric power.

yamahafunkplayer 12-26-2013 11:13 PM

-thanks Chellie

I saw those specs on the website and have to scratch my head a little.

I'm not sure who invented the specs for this airplane, as the build manual (downloadable in PDF) says a 14x7 prop and says nothing about the esc or battery.

on the other hand, i have seen video's of this plane flying very well on 3s, (it is light for its size) but haven't seen info on the prop sizes used.

Obviously, i need to use a prop size that wont cause any over-amp on the esc, but I am really trying to get this beautiful model to look as scale-like as possible, so I don't really want a huge prop (or a small one) that looks disproportionate to the airframe.

my prop/spinner issues are that the hubs on 13" and larger are too big to allow the top half of the spinner to sit on the recessed screw paths. in other words, if i trim the spinner down to get the prop in there, I may not be able to screw the front end on without breaking out the nylon.

any one used the aluminum backplate spinners from dubro? do these have a different (smaller) screw system for securing the cone? my LHS has a poor selection of these things, so most of my purchasing is online with "GOD i hope it fits" as part of every purchase.

-G

CHELLIE 12-26-2013 11:14 PM

Master Airscrew props are good only for stirring paint.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...ys/lol-045.gif

yamahafunkplayer 12-26-2013 11:16 PM

props

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 935291)
14x7 sounds just right for a 750kv motor of that size on 4s. That's by default set up on several 48-52" 3D planes.

Master Airscrew props are good only for stirring paint. Use an APC 'thin electric' or Zoar PJN wood prop, these are FAR more efficient for electric power.

thanks for the input, i've heard lots of good things about XOAR props, but I'm reluctant to buy some until i know if they will fit into a 2" spinner. seems that 13" and up have larger hubs that would be more comfortable in a 2.5" or bigger.

-G

JetPlaneFlyer 12-26-2013 11:20 PM

I've got three planes right here using a 14x7 Xoar with 50mm spinners. You may have to open up to slots for the blades but otherwise no problem. I use the Dubro type spinner with the alloy backplate, they are very good.

The APC fit even easier because the root of the APC blades are very slender.

yamahafunkplayer 12-26-2013 11:20 PM

allow me to append that I avoid APC e-props, only because the high pitched shoulder does not fit into standard spinners. plus, i would like to have a more "realistic" looking prop, where the APC e-props look a bit strange. I am all for a wood prop, but at $9 a piece, i got to make sure it's gonna fit the spinner first.:silly:

yamahafunkplayer 12-26-2013 11:21 PM

spinners

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 935295)
I've got three planes right here using a 14x7 Xoar with 50mm spinners. You may have to open up to slots for the blades but otherwise no problem.

The APC fit even easier because the root of the APC blades are very slender.

the apc props? thin electric? or just the standard props?

as in: 14x7 thin or 14x7e ?

just making sure i'm following you....;)

JetPlaneFlyer 12-26-2013 11:27 PM

The full name is 'Thin Electric' but the shorthand code is simply suffix 'e'. So the 14x7e should be the same prop as the 14x7thin.

kyleservicetech 12-27-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamahafunkplayer (Post 935296)
allow me to append that I avoid APC e-props, only because the high pitched shoulder does not fit into standard spinners. plus, i would like to have a more "realistic" looking prop, where the APC e-props look a bit strange. I am all for a wood prop, but at $9 a piece, i got to make sure it's gonna fit the spinner first.:silly:

Are you referring to the APC-E electric props? Or the APC Slow Flyer props?

There is a very big difference between the two. As for the APC-E props, they look just like a common glow prop, but have much thinner blade thickness.

As for me, I've got a whole bunch of these APC-E props, ranging from a 10 inch diameter, to their APC-E 19X12 Wide blade unit that hangs on the front of a 2500 Watt Hacker A60 motor. That same prop has some 250 flights on it now, with the motor unloading to 7200 RPM in the air.

Those APC-E props work and work well.

APC has a "performance data" database on their website. I've checked a few of my props against that database, and their data is pretty close to the real world.
http://www.apcprop.com/v/downloads/P...B/datalist.asp

JetPlaneFlyer 12-27-2013 12:47 AM

Dont worry about how they look, you soon get used to the shape and anyway, you cant see the blades when the motor's running;)

The APCe 14x7e pulls less amps than the Xoar, but the Xoar makes a little more thrust. I really like the Xoar PJN props but they are more expensive and they brake a lot easier than the APC.

yamahafunkplayer 12-27-2013 05:13 AM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the advice. I just wish APC made black props is all!