WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   ParkFlyers (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hobby Lobby Sky Surfer maiden today (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72870)

frankinfremont 12-27-2013 10:26 PM

Hobby Lobby Sky Surfer maiden today

As we all know there are tons of Sky Surfer clones out there, maybe the best known is the Bixler Sky Surfer from Hobby King. I opted for Hobby Lobby's Sky Surfer ARF and it went together without a hitch. The weather finally warmed up to a balmy 41F today so I got her out there for her first flight. Very nice flying airplane right out of the box. Took some getting used to the twitchyness of coupled ailerons/rudder since I'm used to flying a 2M Radian with no ailerons. Mounted a Mobius Action Cam on the nose for the 2nd flight. Decided after that it would be better to mount it just behind the cockpit to make it easier to get the CG right by shifting the lipo battery instead of adding weight. Weather permitting I'll launch her again ASAP. Would I buy another one from Hobby Lobby? Yes!

Dragonflyer 12-28-2013 03:23 AM

Congrats on the maiden.
It is a fun airplane to fly. I flew my friends during its maiden last year. For him we taped the ailerons, disconnected the servos and plugged the rudder into the Ail slot on the receiver, and it flew just fine rudder only. Easier for the beginner.
Can't beat the design...
DF aka Bill

frankinfremont 01-17-2014 01:10 PM

Periodically check those motor mount screws....

Flew the SkySurfer last week and it just didn't seem like it powered all the way up, sorta staggered around the sky (it was windy) so I brought it down and ceased operations because of that and it was too windy for my skill level. Yesterday I put it on the bench and ran the motor...a weird buzz ensued when running it up so I shut it down and checked the mounting screws. Yep, one had fallen out and lay in the bottom of the fuse and the remaining three were all loose. Got them all tightened and that solved the buzzing problem. The lack of RPM's was my fault for not setting up the ESC correctly after the initial binding. After rebinding and correct adjustment of the throttle now I have a screamer that ought to really move that thing around the sky. Lesson learned...periodically check those motor mount screws and RTFM when binding and setting up your ESC. :eek:

stevecooper 01-17-2014 11:30 PM

Your gonna luv it!!!!bubsteve

Dragonflyer 01-18-2014 12:10 AM

If they are just screws you might want to drop some thin CA into each hole to harden the wood. Wait for a while and re-insert the screws.
Always pre-flight.
DF aka Bill

frankinfremont 01-18-2014 10:29 PM

Not a bad idea Dragonflyer, that's on my list of things to do. You'd think that I, as a professional pilot with many hours under my belt would do a thorough pre-flight but mounting screws weren't on the checklist...they are now. Uh, make that retired professional pilot.