WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Thanks. Newbie alert. (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72919)

Freaky_1 01-04-2014 03:57 AM

Thanks. Newbie alert.

New here and wanted to say thanks for a well built and easy to navigate forum.

Especially want to say thanks for this thread (that I was going to paste right here but this new tablet dohicky throws the paste into the middle of a line of text 2 lines above where ever I am)... anyway, thanks to AEAJR and all contributors for the "Everything you need to know about EP flight". I've been flying since the 60s but ep is new to me and your thread couldn't be better laid out.

As for myself, I'm old to the field and new to the game. I tried ep a few times over the years but always ended up giving up on it. My latest attempt was in the late 70s or early 80s where I went through several bad parts and setups befor the big gear on a transmission / motor combo disintegrated after a few months work and 2 flights. I ended up swearing off ep and sticking to glow / gas, but ep has now come light years from what I last tried and has become much more common at the fields than glow.

So I'm now old and ep is now reliable. I've done nothing but design and scratch builds for the last 20 or so and ep would make that much easier. It would also make getting youngsters off the couch and interested in interacting with the real world easier and this is my ultimate goal. there is however an ulterior motive. I'm looking forward to some mini and micro indoor fun.

Not planning to swap the fleet to ep, but not planning to dabble in it either, but who knows perhaps someday my big stuff might end up ep. I learned years ago to drop the word "never".

Thanks again,
Frank

pizzano 01-04-2014 04:07 AM

Welcome Frank......sounds like an experienced guy getting back into the groove....mini-micro indoor.

Couldn't help but notice the Gadsden, Ala........my in-laws and the Keener clan live in the Centre area....where abouts is the arena you fly at...?

Heli Jim 01-04-2014 04:23 AM

Hi Frank.

Glad to have you on board. You'll find us to be
a friendly and helpful group of people.

hayofstacks 01-04-2014 04:32 AM

if you haven't looked up heads up rc yet, do. it will help you out in so many ways, just seeing how certain things work. if you run a recommended/tested setup, you will not be disappointed.

www.headsuprc.com

brushless motors are listed by nitro equivalent. run the recommended esc, then add battery until it all balances out. welcome to our forum.

AEAJR 01-04-2014 04:55 AM

Welcome back Frank. This is a great time to be into RC. Reliable electric power, 2.4 GHz radios with no channel conflict and foam aircraft that are hard to break, easy to fix and quite good.

We have RTFs that are great and BnF and TX-R planes.

And don't forget to dabble in electric gliders too. Gliders are wonders and I would not want you to miss out on the fun.

Freaky_1 01-04-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heli Jim (Post 936169)
Hi Frank.

Glad to have you on board. You'll find us to be
a friendly and helpful group of people.

Many thanks. I did take a litle while to read around and see that this forum is a little friendlier than another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 936170)
if you haven't looked up heads up rc yet, do. it will help you out in so many ways, just seeing how certain things work. if you run a recommended/tested setup, you will not be disappointed.
Milk
www.headsuprc.com

brushless motors are listed by nitro equivalent. run the recommended esc, then add battery until it all balances out. welcome to our forum.

Thanks for the info!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by AEAJR (Post 936172)
Welcome back Frank. This is a great time to be into RC. Reliable electric power, 2.4 GHz radios with no channel conflict and foam aircraft that are hard to break, easy to fix and quite good.

We have RTFs that are great and BnF and TX-R planes.

And don't forget to dabble in electric gliders too. Gliders are wonders and I would not want you to miss out on the fun.

Thanks! :) had to look up BnF and TX-R. Making more than just the ep step into the modern day here. I've killed all my FM recievers and have been flying AM for over a year and man there's tons more interference today. Gonna try a spektrum sumthinorother 650 and another of their line as backup / trainer.

Love my gliders. I tend to take mine upnto the mountain when there's no crowds and just kinda zone out on the clock. I'm a former crop duster and believe it or not rc gliders take yiu back to the air more than powered rc.

Freaky_1 01-04-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 936168)
Welcome Frank......sounds like an experienced guy getting back into the groove....mini-micro indoor.

Couldn't help but notice the Gadsden, Ala........my in-laws and the Keener clan live in the Centre area....where abouts is the arena you fly at...?

Thanks. Still flying, just looking to make life a lil easier. I'm from Leesburg/Centre and know the Keeners, some good folk. I'm of the Chesnuts. These days I mostly fly at a public field in Rainbow City, the farm in Ellisville (Centre) or at home. Flew many years in Centre but there's really not a good public place for meets any more.

Freaky_1 01-11-2014 12:41 AM

Gotta say thanks again for a wealth of information here.
After some study and a few tons of reading, I've come up with a plan that deviates from my initial idea by a fair margin.

I do look forward to some tiny indoor action, but I've decided to start with what I know. I'm going to reproduce a plane I built a long time ago for testing some equipment to come up with a setup to swap between multiple planes at the field. This is something there's really no need for these days as there is a standard for pretty much everything and I gave the bird to a kid in Ohio.

My thoughts are that I know the characteristics of this little bird so well that starting my ep journey with it could well make life a little easier. This time I'll be building with foam instead of balsa and monokote so there will be some minor differences, but should be close enough to know what to expect.

The general design is something similar to a cub but boxy and a simpler prifile but uses one of my favorite stable wings.

High wing
Wingspan 30" to 40" low speed, mid camber, conventional airfoil
Length 25"ish
Minor dihedral and a slight aoi lift advantage that is easily changed or adjusted.
Fixed conventional tail dragger.
Flight weight = no clue yet
Dry weight = we'll see in a few days once it's "built" (no mount or firewall and pretty much open for layot of electrics for ease and cg).
Power, dunno yet. This bird would have been happy with a .25 glow and I most often flew the original with a 45.

First is build the bird with control on-board (aka servos mounted, linked and radio/power ready).

Ok, so the plane is a certainty, as is the radio (going to get a TTX650 from Tower since I need somthing modern anyway). The EP compnents are another story. I've got a fair idea of what I'll need thanks to the link given me here, but I need to get it built and check the weight. Then I've got to decide on the batt setup.
The plane is a 5 channel design so I either need to be finiky with the control design or go for seperate radio/servo batt and motor batt.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Seems putting in text helps lock it down and this time I plan an electronic log rather than ink so this was an easy way out to put the first stage down in print.

Thanks again,
Frank

hayofstacks 01-11-2014 01:13 AM

flight test has a range of foam built models using a swappable power pod. run a similar or identical system in quite a few planes. they also have YouTube build videos to help you build them.

id be willing to bet they have a plane you could easily build/fly that would match your needs. if you designed your plane around their power pod, you could build any of there's easy and dirt.cheap.

pizzano 01-11-2014 01:30 AM

Frank...you mention 5ch design, curious why 5...?

With most foamie elect. high-wing with dihedral and ailerons I've been around, do not need a 5th ch unless you have something else in mind...?

Not real familiar with the Tactic TTX650 w/FHSS reciever...but it sounds ok for the use and cost.....kind of a Futaba knock-off.

As mentioned previously, Heads Up has many options related to converting .25 glow to electric... they even suggest prop types based on flight expectations.

I've used 9g servos (Hitech) on similar models with great success, combined with 30amp esc's and 3s batt's....if your'e looking for (+ -) 32oz type plane....depends on the amount of room you'll have for such.

Freaky_1 01-11-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 936744)
flight test has a range of foam built models using a swappable power pod. run a similar or identical system in quite a few planes. they also have YouTube build videos to help you build them.

id be willing to bet they have a plane you could easily build/fly that would match your needs. if you designed your plane around their power pod, you could build any of there's easy and dirt.cheap.

I've looked at their models for some time now and do enjoy their videos but this build has another use as a test bed for several things I want to do on future builds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 936745)
Frank...you mention 5ch design, curious why 5...?

With most foamie elect. high-wing with dihedral and ailerons I've been around, do not need a 5th ch unless you have something else in mind...?

Not real familiar with the Tactic TTX650 w/FHSS reciever...but it sounds ok for the use and cost.....kind of a Futaba knock-off.

As mentioned previously, Heads Up has many options related to converting .25 glow to electric... they even suggest prop types based on flight expectations.

I've used 9g servos (Hitech) on similar models with great success, combined with 30amp esc's and 3s batt's....if your'e looking for (+ -) 32oz type plane....depends on the amount of room you'll have for such.

Yup, it's destined to be a test bed for future builds and once I'm happy with it as is, I'll be swapping a couple more wings. Later, either it or another similar will geta tad more power to pull duty as tug so I can retire the 4 star 40 and possibly rebuild it as a Pawnee (ish) design.

Thanks all!
Frank

pizzano 01-11-2014 02:22 AM

I've seen the Pawnee design (low wing +50" ws) used as a tug....the power and wing load design will certainly require something more than a .25 glow conversion....now I understand the need for a 5th channel....Interesting....your'e a little out of my league Frank...so I'll be a lookie-lou.............I'm still moving up the weight class to the 3lb limit.