WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Radio shack rant! (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72951)

Dukepiles 01-08-2014 09:45 PM

Radio shack rant!

first off its been years since i have shopped there. i needed some heat shrink tubing so i stopped by on my way home from work and i was shocked at the prices they try to charge for something simple as heat shrink and how clueless the employees are. they only had two choices a 7 piece assortment 6 inch in length for 6 bucks and a precut assortment 1 inch,30 pieces 17 bucks. so needless to say i scratched that purchase. started looking for some wire to connect the lights going in my cub. hardly any wire that i would be able to use and when i found some 20G wire i could use it was 8 bucks for a 10 ft roll. so i just walked away from that section and just decided to get some batteries needed around the house. went to pay for them and i had like nine dollars in 1.00 coins (from the change machine at work) and the lady at the register asked me what they were i replied they were dollar pieces. she replied they look like gold quarters :concern: i replied no mam they are not. she said i have never seen anything like these told me to hold on for a minute and took the coins in the back. i could hear her talking to the person and she asked him what they were and he told her. she then asked if they were real and asked if they could take them. i am standing there like what the :censor: no way this girl is that damn helpless. she came back out and finished the purchase. i have never had a simple trip to the store be so disappointing and dare i say informative i now know why people dont shop there and most of their stores are closing. i am still in shock ::o

crxmanpat 01-08-2014 10:04 PM

I get wire and shrink wrap (the batteries I get at Costco ;)) from Wal-Mart. In fact, I just purchased two 20' rolls of 14ga black and one of red for $6 each. I can't remember the last time I went into Radio Shack for anything.

And yeah, that's sad about the cashier not knowing about the Sacagawea Dollars. :rolleyes:

Dukepiles 01-08-2014 10:33 PM

my Wally doesn't carry wire or heat shrink. i am going to order some this evening. the girl had to be around my age early to mid 30's and had to have seen dollar coins before. i refuse to believe she hasn't lmao

fhhuber 01-08-2014 10:35 PM

Harbor Freight has heat shrink in cut assortments and in rolls.

tr4252 01-08-2014 10:40 PM

Radio Shack was a great chain until the late 80's or early 90's. Dealt with them since the 60's and they usually had what I wanted. The clerks were knowledgeable and friendly (generally). At least they're still friendly, but unfortunately, don't always know electronics very well. Also, the stores cater to consumer electronics tastes now, and don't carry the range of DIY type parts they used to. And of course, the prices. I don't go there much anymore, though they still surprise me with the right part at the right price sometimes.

Tom

hayofstacks 01-08-2014 10:43 PM

yeah, harbor freight. good assortment of heat shrink for $5.

CHELLIE 01-08-2014 11:24 PM

Radio Shack is on EBay, the Radio Shack in my area does not carry Silver Bearing Solder, So I have to buy it on EBay, Its sad when companies hire people that dont know anything about the products they sell, I dont go into a Radio Shack unless i really really have to ::o ;-) :<: I get my shrink tube from Heads up RC as well as blue locktite and other goodies. Take care, Chellie

CHELLIE 01-08-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4252 (Post 936590)
Radio Shack was a great chain until the late 80's or early 90's. Dealt with them since the 60's and they usually had what I wanted. The clerks were knowledgeable and friendly (generally). At least they're still friendly, but unfortunately, don't always know electronics very well. Also, the stores cater to consumer electronics tastes now, and don't carry the range of DIY type parts they used to. And of course, the prices. I don't go there much anymore, though they still surprise me with the right part at the right price sometimes.

Tom

+1

kyleservicetech 01-09-2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 936588)
Harbor Freight has heat shrink in cut assortments and in rolls.

Yeah
Check out Harbor Freight. They have rolls of the stuff. I bought a roll of every size from their smallest to their largest. Plus some piece parts for servo sized wire and similar.

Didn't cost that much, and I'm fixed for awhile.

Dukepiles 01-09-2014 03:14 AM

havn't even thought about hf. thanks all glad to know i can vent and find tips and tactics from the good people like all of you

kyleservicetech 01-09-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukepiles (Post 936615)
havn't even thought about hf. thanks all glad to know i can vent and find tips and tactics from the good people like all of you

Out of curiosity, checked out the HF store locator.

Two in Birmingham, one in Montgomery, and one in Dothan, all in AL.

Man, their stores are all over the place.

Murman 01-09-2014 04:59 AM

Northern has a fairly good selection of heat shrink tubing also. Radio Shack sucks !!!

kyleservicetech 01-09-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukepiles (Post 936584)
first off its been years since i have shopped there. i needed some heat shrink tubing so i stopped by on my way home from work and i was shocked at the prices they try to charge for something simple as heat shrink and how clueless the employees are. they only had two choices a 7 piece assortment 6 inch in length for 6 bucks and a precut assortment 1 inch,30 pieces 17 bucks.

Still expensive compared to Harbor Freight, Home Depot and many other locations, but these are in color.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102875

mclarkson 01-09-2014 07:48 AM

I had a similar experience recently. I needed a little bit of shrinkwrap and Radio Shack was right there so I dropped in to pick some up. I knew it wouldn't be as cheap as Hobby King or Harbor Freight or whatever, but I was STUNNED at how much they were charging. I couldn't believe those prices could be correct.

Wildflyer 01-09-2014 06:17 PM

Another place that shocked me.

I have had the same Weller Junior soldering gun since the mid 50's. All it has ever needed was tips or 222 flashlight bulbs. I like the balance of the gun in my hands so much, I have 2 more I bought at yard sales.

Yesterday I stopped at Batteries+Bulbs, to get a couple of 222 bulbs for old faithful, they wanted $3.99 each!

I just checked Ebay, and one seller is offering, 100 bulbs for $9.99 free shipping, which is just $0.10 each. Guess I know where I will buy.

kyleservicetech 01-09-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukepiles (Post 936584)
first off its been years since i have shopped there. i needed some heat shrink tubing so i stopped by on my way home from work and i was shocked at the prices they try to charge for something simple as heat shrink and how clueless the employees are. they only had two choices a 7 piece assortment 6 inch in length for 6 bucks and a precut assortment 1 inch,30 pieces 17 bucks. so needless to say i scratched that purchase. started looking for some wire to connect the lights going in my cub. hardly any wire that i would be able to use and when i found some 20G wire i could use it was 8 bucks for a 10 ft roll. so i just walked away from that section and just decided to get some batteries needed around the house. went to pay for them and i had like nine dollars in 1.00 coins (from the change machine at work) and the lady at the register asked me what they were i replied they were dollar pieces. she replied they look like gold quarters :concern: i replied no mam they are not. she said i have never seen anything like these told me to hold on for a minute and took the coins in the back. i could hear her talking to the person and she asked him what they were and he told her. she then asked if they were real and asked if they could take them. i am standing there like what the :censor: no way this girl is that damn helpless. she came back out and finished the purchase. i have never had a simple trip to the store be so disappointing and dare i say informative i now know why people dont shop there and most of their stores are closing. i am still in shock ::o

Yeah
Last fall, I went to Radio Shack to pick up a cellphone upgrade. Told the clerk I was there for a cellphone. Waited for 35 minutes, while the clerk worked with someone who had problems with understanding what she had bought.

The clerk indicated she would be right with me. Then she waited on two other people that just walked into the store.

That was inexcusable. I told her so, and walked out of the store.

tr4252 01-09-2014 09:24 PM

Service sure isn't what it used to be.

About 5 years ago I had the urge to buy a BB gun, so I went to Wal Mart and got a nice one from the sporting goods dept. When I took it through the checkout, the girl got all puzzled and told me I needed some sort of permit. She didn't know what sort, just that she was sure I needed one. Called her supervisor, who also felt a permit was required. I showed them my pistol permit, but they must have thought a special BB gun permit was needed; still no go. I asked them to call the old coot in the Sporting Goods Dept., which they did. He straightened them out, I got to buy the weapon of mass tin can destruction, but walked away mad.

Back on topic, a good place to mail order all sorts of electronic stuff is All Electronics. They're a surplus type of business, have some weird stuff, but the prices are reasonable.

Tom

hayofstacks 01-09-2014 10:07 PM

I remember when I was 16 and I was doing some body work on a car. I ran down to walmart to buy some cheap spray paint to keep it from rusting. while I was in the check out line they called the police on me and said I was a known graffiti artist. as I was walking it the door I was stopped by the police that wanted to search me and my car. I told them to get a warrant and scan the parking lot for my car. apparently its not against the law to buy spray paint as a 16 year old, but it is to walk around with it "concealed" in a grocery bag. I won that one when I went to the city court house.

dahawk 01-09-2014 10:31 PM

RS went from being a real electronics store to a cell phone store. I've been inside their gorgeous HQ in Ft. Worth. Look for them to go under with JC Penney's by end of year.

Dukepiles 01-09-2014 11:35 PM

C'mon hayofstacks, you know you were the guy they were lookin for. :Q

gramps2161 01-09-2014 11:43 PM

I like the fact that they check your ID when you buy spray paint now a days.

To bad they don't check mine must be the grey hair that gives my age away.:Q

c.sitas 01-10-2014 04:09 AM

Hey gramps,have you been caught sniffin lately? All us older pilots have too get used to this bs society we live in. Now that we're talking price take note of what has caused this. Every body wants $20.00 plus per hr. Even my hardware store is nuts.Keep shopping there are bargains to be had .Just takes a lot more shopping.

Glacier Girl 01-10-2014 02:42 PM

Yeah R/S is nothing more then a cell phone outlet. I don't deal with them anymore, too tired of the "deer in the headlights" look I get when I ask for something in there.

On the other side I got some stellar service the other day. I normally hit Lowes or Home Depot for general hardware type of stuff. And we all know what shopping in one of those places is like. Good luck if you need help.
Anywho, Was out and stopped at the local Ace hardware. One of those, been there since Noah used it for supplies places. Walk in, both cashiers say "Good morning".
Stroll into the plumbing section and not one but two employees come up to me and ask if they can help. Show em the valve I need replaced, and find out it's no longer made. No problem for them, within 5 minutes I had something that would take it's place. They even reminded me to pick up some Teflon tape for the fittings.

Not to be outdone I asked about some 3/4" PVC pipe. They asked me what I was planning on doing with it. Explain I have to repair a sprinkler riser. Instead of selling me a 10' section, they cut off a piece from one and marked it to 25 cents.

I thanked them for their help and walked up to the cashier. She asks if I found everything and was I helped out with my purchases, and if I had any concerns, and thanks for coming in.
Told her it was great service and paid my bill.

Ace just got a new customer.

dahawk 01-10-2014 03:22 PM

+1 on ACE. "Ace is the Place for your helpful hardware man"

I have one almost within walking distance. Almost, because I'm too darn lazy to walk there. LOL. The LHS is a 20-30 min drive. Generally go to www.Headsuprc.com
for most of my little odds and ends. 2-3 day delivery with $2.00 shipping, it's worth the gas savings.

I go to ACE when I need to MacGyver something. I like that you can buy a single screw, bolt, nylon spacer, etc. where at Lowes or Home Depot, you have to buy an entire package of the item in need. And they carry metric fasteners. Not a huge selection but at least the basics.

For cheapie tools and fun, I'll take the 30 min drive to Harbor Freight. Man, that's a "Tim the Toolman Taylor' kind of hangout. Grunt, Grunt

Haven't been to a RS in a few years and can't think of a good reason to go there with everything just one or two clicks away.

-Hawk

kyleservicetech 01-10-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl (Post 936708)
Yeah R/S is nothing more then a cell phone outlet. I don't deal with them anymore, too tired of the "deer in the headlights" look I get when I ask for something in there.

On the other side I got some stellar service the other day. I normally hit Lowes or Home Depot for general hardware type of stuff. And we all know what shopping in one of those places is like. Good luck if you need help.
Anywho, Was out and stopped at the local Ace hardware. One of those, been there since Noah used it for supplies places. Walk in, both cashiers say "Good morning".
Stroll into the plumbing section and not one but two employees come up to me and ask if they can help. Show em the valve I need replaced, and find out it's no longer made. No problem for them, within 5 minutes I had something that would take it's place. They even reminded me to pick up some Teflon tape for the fittings.

Not to be outdone I asked about some 3/4" PVC pipe. They asked me what I was planning on doing with it. Explain I have to repair a sprinkler riser. Instead of selling me a 10' section, they cut off a piece from one and marked it to 25 cents.

I thanked them for their help and walked up to the cashier. She asks if I found everything and was I helped out with my purchases, and if I had any concerns, and thanks for coming in.
Told her it was great service and paid my bill.

Ace just got a new customer.

Interesting.

Your visit to your local Ace hardware store pretty much matches the Ace Hardware store in our neighborhood.

And, as a result, this hardware store is ALWAYS busy. And, if you need help, someone is always available within a few minutes, since they have a number of employees. (As compared to some of those lumber yards, where you might have one person in an entire department, if you're lucky.)