WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   My 9xr stopped working ! (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72953)

solentlife 01-09-2014 03:22 PM

My 9xr stopped working !

So I get home and I see the 'box'....

I open up and there's the 9xr ... initial impression - looks OK.

Plug in FrSky ... install the 'special' 9xr LiPo .... switch on ...

Usual "Switch Error" .... and start programming.

Before completion of Model 1 .. I have to switch off and do 'domestic' things.

Next day - switch on ... ?? Only READY light at top comes on ... no Menu .. no Screen ... no Switch Error ... nothing.

I contact HK via Live Chat ... have RMA number .. sent photo ... now wait to hear from them.

The address label they gave - is UK ... not HK ... so at least that's a bit better than sending to China .. but they say do not send back till they check initial report / photo I sent in ...

Lets see what happens.

Nigel

JetPlaneFlyer 01-09-2014 06:06 PM

That bad luck, but at least if you only have to send it to the UK for the RMA. Mailing it back to China is uneconomic and usually means 'writing it off to experience'.

As you know, this is the downside of buying cheap from Hobbyking (and similar), you get a lot of bang for your buck, but quality control isn't what it might be, nor is the customer service though so far they seem to be on the ball in this case, good luck.

solentlife 01-09-2014 06:37 PM

I've had loads of gear from them - this is first real problem I've had.

So lets see what happens.

Nigel

Panther 01-11-2014 10:25 AM

Good luck mate. I'm hanging out for the new 9XR Pro. The 9XR can be updated to the Pro simply by changing the board. Due for release soon (fingers crossed) Supposed to be around $100

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com.au/20...pro-notes.html

thepiper92 01-11-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 936771)
Good luck mate. I'm hanging out for the new 9XR Pro. The 9XR can be updated to the Pro simply by changing the board. Due for release soon (fingers crossed) Supposed to be around $100

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com.au/20...pro-notes.html

And I had to buythe 9xr...couldn't have waited.

Panther 01-11-2014 10:55 PM

LOL thepiper92. Yeah, I nearly bought a 9XR and just fluked coming across a posting about the Pro so decided to wait.

thepiper92 01-12-2014 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 936818)
LOL thepiper92. Yeah, I nearly bought a 9XR and just fluked coming across a posting about the Pro so decided to wait.

Oh well, it's probably not a huge improvement, just a few extra feature that I may not use.

solentlife 01-14-2014 09:00 PM

Well sent in video as requested - today got reply that new 9xr is ordered to be sent to me ...

Magic !!

Guess who's a happy chappy ?

Nigel

thepiper92 01-14-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 937064)
Well sent in video as requested - today got reply that new 9xr is ordered to be sent to me ...

Magic !!

Guess who's a happy chappy ?

Nigel

They are sending you a new radio? Wow. Hobbyking is slower than molasses walking up a hill in January on crutches, but I never would have expected such a good result from it. You didn't have to ship the old one back?

Panther 01-14-2014 10:19 PM

Hobby King have recently introduced a new policy that you only need to ship the product back if requested to do so.

Panther 01-15-2014 10:52 PM

BTW the New 9XR Pro is now in full production. (news from Skynorth, the developer)

dahawk 01-15-2014 11:27 PM

A good thing about those 9x TX's is that they are so darn cheap they are almost disposable. It breaks? throw it away.

Panther 02-13-2014 08:59 AM

9XR Pro is in production and has LOTS of features. Flip up a rubber cover and there is your charge port, USB port, Mem card slot and headphone plug.
This thing will be a powerful little beast.

To upgrade the 9XR you need to replace both boards.

solentlife 02-13-2014 10:27 AM

My 9xr is on its way ....

Ref. the 9xrPro ..... maybe start a new thread about that ? I started this thread to let people know of warranty situation with HK and the apparent improvement in their CS.

Nigel

solentlife 02-18-2014 04:06 PM

Courier delivered my replacement 9xr today ... took time, but at least I got it without hassle.

I must thank HK for good decision ...

First was to transfer all mixes of my models across from the 9x to the 9xr ... which takes some figuring out. Particularly the Throt Cut.

Weathers crap at present ... so haven't flown it yet !

Nigel

Panther 02-18-2014 11:13 PM

Did you get to keep the dud one?

gyrocptr 02-18-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 940299)
First was to transfer all mixes of my models across from the 9x to the 9xr ... which takes some figuring out. Particularly the Throt Cut....

FWIW: I believe that "throttle cut" is one of the pre-programmed mixes in the Turnigy 9XR Tx.

solentlife 02-19-2014 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyrocptr (Post 940365)
FWIW: I believe that "throttle cut" is one of the pre-programmed mixes in the Turnigy 9XR Tx.

True....but it reverts to Futaba style with throttle on Ch 1. By the time you re-set to JR style Ch3.... you might as well do it yourself.

Nigel

solentlife 02-28-2014 05:15 PM

I DON'T BELIEVE IT !

I only flew one day with the REPLACEMENT 9xr and THAT has failed as well !!

I have now lodged another Claim at HK ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYOMe...ature=youtu.be

Good job that I didn't remove all set-ups from my 9x ... I reverted to those for flying today.

I'm really not happy !

Nigel

thepiper92 02-28-2014 05:35 PM

Yikes, bad luck you are having.

JetPlaneFlyer 02-28-2014 05:50 PM

We will make a Spektrum convert out of you yet:D

Did it crash a model or were you lucky and it failed between flights?

I've just RMA'ed a 120Amp ESC with Hobbyking, took a couple of weeks but I got a note through today that they will credit my account with the full value, and they did it on the strength of a video showing the fault, I didn't have to send it back.

solentlife 02-28-2014 08:45 PM

I found it before leaving home ... was changing model on Tx to check out my 61 powered Biplane ... it just went blank.

Spektrum ? If I buy a "brand" radio - it will be likely be Hitec ... they have agents in Latvia ... Spekie is an extremely rare sight here. I've only ever seen 1 here.

My 9x's have been great ... starting to think I should have just got another 9x !!

The replacement 9xr was based on video as well ... didn't have to send faulty back. The return address actually which they give you, just in case is in UK !

Lets see what happens now ...

Nigel

pmullen503 02-28-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 941195)

My 9x's have been great ... starting to think I should have just got another 9x !!

The replacement 9xr was based on video as well ... didn't have to send faulty back. The return address actually which they give you, just in case is in UK !

Nigel

Look on the bright side; if you don't have to send the defective ones back you'll have lots of spares!

kyleservicetech 03-01-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solentlife (Post 941195)
I found it before leaving home ... was changing model on Tx to check out my 61 powered Biplane ... it just went blank.

Spektrum ? If I buy a "brand" radio - it will be likely be Hitec ... they have agents in Latvia ... Spekie is an extremely rare sight here. I've only ever seen 1 here.

Nigel

Yup, the best RC radio system out there is the same brand as your RC friends are using. :D :D :D

(Just happens to be Spektrum around here, but your locale can and will vary. :cool:)

solentlife 03-01-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmullen503 (Post 941197)
Look on the bright side; if you don't have to send the defective ones back you'll have lots of spares!

Once things have sorted out I may look at using one of them to swap out parts on my older 9x's ... I have one pot that has a spot that jumps when turned ... and one stick that has a slight feel to it (probably a bit of grit or dust in it).

Overall though - I am disappointed, I think the 9xr could have been a good opportunity to improve the 9x concept but in reality - has grown its own faults. The gap between sticks at full top deflection and the pots / switch above is too close and the handle is is front instead of better at back. The trim buttons are recessed too much and hard to find by feel ... when you put it down - the two back top switches often get switched as the radio 'rocks' on the module.

The one day it did work - yes it worked fine..... to be honest in plain stick use - ALL radios basically come out similar. It's the finer and additional items that make or break it. The 9x is ergonomically sound, the 9xr is not. IMHO.

Nigel