WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   minicam and ailerons (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72965)

Fishbonez 01-11-2014 08:04 PM

minicam and ailerons

Maybe someone can help me here.
What I would like to do is put a minicam on a servo so that it turns in conjunction with my ailerons. Very similar to the way Mclarkson hooked up his horse. Only difference would be rather than rudder work with ailerons.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70778

I have come up with ideas but I get stumped over thinking it. I tried a search both here and RCG but cant quite come up with the right search. I am pretty confident I am not the first to do this and I would think a lot of the FPV guys have a similar setup.
I think it would make for some interesting video flying my T28
Any ideas would be of great help
Thanks in advance
Fish

fhhuber 01-11-2014 08:15 PM

Simply Y it to ailerons instead of rudder.

Heli Jim 01-11-2014 10:41 PM

If your radio supports it, just mix the control for the camera with the Ailerons.
You might have to reverse the direction on the camera but that's no biggie.

Fishbonez 01-12-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 936810)
Simply Y it to ailerons instead of rudder.

Yea I thought about that but t-28 already has Y-harness for the ailerons so I could not figure out where the other wire would go

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heli Jim (Post 936817)
If your radio supports it, just mix the control for the camera with the Ailerons.
You might have to reverse the direction on the camera but that's no biggie.

I have a Dx8 and I thought about this as well just not sure how to setup the mix. I may have to play with 3 servos on a test setup

Larry3215 01-12-2014 12:52 AM

Put the Y harness between one of the aileron servos and the Y thats already on there. The left over lead goes to the new servo :)

For mixing - RTFM :D

Fishbonez 01-12-2014 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry3215 (Post 936833)
Put the Y harness between one of the aileron servos and the Y thats already on there. The left over lead goes to the new servo :)

For mixing - RTFM :D

Well all be darn I forgot the obviouse. Call it a duh moment I will try it out tomorrow morning

Larry3215 01-12-2014 06:17 AM

We all have days like that :) I have them more often as time goes on!

You could also add the new Y at the rx end if that works out better.

Fishbonez 01-12-2014 08:22 AM

Well I got tested thanks all I apreciate it. Now I just need to get it in the T28 cockpit.

Panther 01-12-2014 10:40 AM

I think it will be a bit hard to watch the video in practice as when you are flying you are making corrections all the time. This will make the vidcam very jerky and too hard to watch. Anyway, an interesting thought. If you could slow the cam servo right down it may be better.

Fishbonez 01-12-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 936883)
I think it will be a bit hard to watch the video in practice as when you are flying you are making corrections all the time. This will make the vidcam very jerky and too hard to watch. Anyway, an interesting thought. If you could slow the cam servo right down it may be better.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess time will tell. In time I will hook it to the rudder but my rudder turns are not all that good yet. Just a project to keep me busy while we have bad weather.

Fishbonez 01-12-2014 06:47 PM

Ok Test #2 with the servo in place and in the canopy. Did not quite have the camera in the center but for this test it was Ok. Also shows how scratched up the canopies get LOL
Final test will be in flight and see how it looks

dahawk 01-12-2014 08:00 PM

I think you can slow the servo speed too, right? Looks cool though. Experiment while watching Broncos game. I'm sure you're missing Tebow... LOL

Fishbonez 01-12-2014 08:51 PM

I agree it may need to be slowed down as well. Maybe if I put the servo in say the flap switch and mixing it with the ailerons and maybe I can slow the cam down and still work with the ailerons. Will keep experimenting. Cant do it during the Bronco game though. I bleed Orange and Blue and nope have not missed Tebow one bit nor the controversy that seem to follow where ever he goes

Panther 01-12-2014 10:59 PM

I think you can buy slow servos but whether you want to go to that trouble?.....

dahawk 01-12-2014 11:02 PM

My DX9 allows me to slow them down. Must be the same with the DX8

Fishbonez 01-13-2014 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 936923)
My DX9 allows me to slow them down. Must be the same with the DX8

Did not know this, how is this done Hawk?
I know about rates and expo but I did not know you could do slow just one down

dahawk 01-13-2014 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishbonez (Post 936928)
Did not know this, how is this done Hawk?
I know about rates and expo but I did not know you could do slow just one down

Go Broncos

On the DX9 I just went to my P=40 where I have the flaps slowed down.

I have them on a 3 pos switch ( G) . 0= 100% Landing Flaps 1=22%- Take off flaps 2=0% Flaps up The DX9 actually talks to me in a sexy female British voice

Below that there's: Speed. I have it set for 4 sec but can make it even slower. The flaps deploy real scale like.

Before I had the DX9, I used a slower downer connector. http://www.headsuphobby.com/Hyperion...laps-D-225.htm

I might still have it and can mail it to you in support of your project if I can find it. You can actually dial in the speed you want through the potentiometer pot.

- Hawk

Fishbonez 01-13-2014 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 936930)
Go Broncos

On the DX9 I just went to my P=40 where I have the flaps slowed down.

I have them on a 3 pos switch ( G) . 0= 100% Landing Flaps 1=22%- Take off flaps 2=0% Flaps up The DX9 actually talks to me in a sexy female British voice

Below that there's: Speed. I have it set for 4 sec but can make it even slower. The flaps deploy real scale like.

Before I had the DX9, I used a slower downer connector. http://www.headsuphobby.com/Hyperion...laps-D-225.htm

I might still have it and can mail it to you in support of your project if I can find it. You can actually dial in the speed you want through the potentiometer pot.

- Hawk

Come ON Broncos!!!
Thats ok Hawk this is a "just for fun" project. I understand what you mean about flap servos and makes sense. I may give that a try just would have to think to hit the switch when I make a turn

dahawk 01-13-2014 07:55 PM

I can adjust the speed of any of the servos from the Servo Setup menu except servoless retracts

Fishbonez 01-15-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 937000)
I can adjust the speed of any of the servos from the Servo Setup menu except servoless retracts

Hmm that seems interesting I will have to see if I can do that on the DX8

c.sitas 01-15-2014 04:47 AM

BTW, your not looking at a scratched canopy. I believe it's the prismatic effect of the plastic.Dump the plastic and shoot open air. I'll bet no more interference.

jeholliday 01-17-2014 06:39 PM

Do you have your camera mounted on the servo it self? If so, take it off and put it on another platform. Use pushrod from servo to platform to move the camera. Servo end of pushrod close to pivot point. On the camera platform move pushrod away from pivot point.

Fishbonez 01-19-2014 04:15 AM

success sorta but then we crashed

Well got a chance to try out the T-28 with the camera. The video tells all

The only damage to the plane was the rudder horn cracked and came loose. Dont know if this happened in flight causing the crash or not. The camera came dislodged from the servo arm but that is no big deal. Everything else was fine. Fixed her up and will try again on Monday.

Larry3215 01-19-2014 04:45 AM

The spin started in the air, so maybe the horn cracking was the root cause.

yes - I did feel shaken and stirred! :)

dahawk 01-19-2014 06:53 AM

Fish,

After watching that, I have brain damage ! :D:D

Did I hear Dramamine ?