WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Night Flying (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   monokote (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72982)

Dukepiles 01-15-2014 01:43 PM

monokote

i am going to order some covering next week for a electricub that i plan on making a night flyer. i was wanting to know if normal colors will illuminate good enough or do i need transparent ones. also any suggestions on a color scheme i really don't want to go with the traditional yellow i want it to be unique. first model i am attempting to cover so nothing to crazy

CHELLIE 01-15-2014 02:17 PM

Hi :) what material is the plane made from, foam or balsa, reason I ask, is because you will need a low heat covering for foam, monokote is not a good choice for foam, the foam will melt, before the monokote shrinks and sticks on the foam.

rcers 01-15-2014 02:25 PM

the EletriCub is built up balsa so Monokote is fine Chillie...

I find the opaque colors do well - sometimes the light better than transparent. With the more solid colors they "glow" more than just shine right through.

More lights is always better - and you need to select a lighter color. The dark ones have a good deal of color added and get very opaque.

I would consider using Nelson/Solite covering. It is lighter and has less pigment (to save weight) and lights have no issue going through those.

Good luck - and remember MORE lights than you think. :)

thepiper92 01-15-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937133)
the EletriCub is built up balsa so Monokote is fine Chillie...

I find the opaque colors do well - sometimes the light better than transparent. With the more solid colors they "glow" more than just shine right through.

More lights is always better - and you need to select a lighter color. The dark ones have a good deal of color added and get very opaque.

I would consider using Nelson/Solite covering. It is lighter and has less pigment (to save weight) and lights have no issue going through those.

Good luck - and remember MORE lights than you think. :)

While looking at build threads, I read that silver solite is a little transparent. I will find out for myself soon, being able to compare to ultralite silver.

rcers 01-15-2014 03:52 PM

Yea silver is not a great choice but the Solite stuff is more than others.... :) It, the silver solite actually looks really good! But I would not choose it for lighting...

Mike

thepiper92 01-15-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937150)
Yea silver is not a great choice but the Solite stuff is more than others.... :) It, the silver solite actually looks really good! But I would not choose it for lighting...

Mike

My issue is I do not want transparent, not planning to have a nightflying warbird. I want the solite for weight, but if it is too transparent I will have to skip it and go to ultrakote kote. Sorry I called it ultralite in the last post. If it is too transparent, then it would be great for illumination though.

rcers 01-15-2014 03:59 PM

No the silver is very opaque.... You will like it... :)

Dukepiles 01-15-2014 11:56 PM

Yeah its balsa. The glow effect is more what I am looking for. My first thought was to go with transparent yellow with some clear sections but the more i pictured it the more blah it looked lol I don't want to see the lights or wires either.

thepiper92 01-16-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukepiles (Post 937207)
Yeah its balsa. The glow effect is more what I am looking for. My first thought was to go with transparent yellow with some clear sections but the more i pictured it the more blah it looked lol I don't want to see the lights or wires either.

To avoid seeing the lights or wires, keep them away from the surface, and use a thin coating, a little transparent, but not extremely transparent, the light should glow through it.

Dukepiles 01-18-2014 04:34 AM

okay i ordered white and orange as my colors. now i need some more white lights any suggestions on brands and types and where to get them? hobbyking is back ordered on the 2 wire ones that i already have some of. what is the difference in the 2 wire and the 4 wire/pin ones? also i would like to be able to switch them on with my tx what else do i need to make that happen?

thepiper92 01-18-2014 07:33 AM

I would stick to having the lights going directly from the battery. I tried the rx as well, and it did not work. You lights have to be fairly low voltage to work well. What is this 4 wire/pin you speak of? For lights, you can look into Heads Up RC products.

hayofstacks 01-18-2014 08:01 AM

just tap it into a jst plug off of the esc/battery. leds pull next to no power compared to your motor. there's a local place called wasatch rc that sells a controller for the lights that you can turn on and off and even strobe the lights using a channel on your controller(such as a gear switch or flaps).

hobby king also sells something that looks identice to me.

Dukepiles 01-18-2014 04:51 PM

piper this is what i am talking about http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...een_Blue_.html

stacks the lights i have plug into the balance port on the battery. which controller are you referring to?

hayofstacks 01-18-2014 09:59 PM

http://www.wasatch-rc.com/

its called the basic blinker.

I have no idea what the difference is between 2 and 4 wire led's. it looks like 4 wires have several different colored leds and the two wire are only a single color. as long as you supply 12v's your fine

Dukepiles 01-19-2014 12:19 AM

they have just solid colors also. i just need a way to switch it on not really wanting blinking. is there a cheaper way?

FlyWheel 01-19-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937153)
No the silver is very opaque.... You will like it... :)

Silver will show as grey when backlit. Silver is composed of fine metallic flakes which reflect light.

rcers 01-19-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyWheel (Post 937484)
Silver will show as grey when backlit. Silver is composed of fine metallic flakes which reflect light.

I was replying to the post above it - the guy wanted a less see through covering.

So the silver Solite is NOT a good choice for inside lights. Sorry if I was not clear....

hayofstacks 01-21-2014 09:52 PM

reported spam

Dukepiles 01-22-2014 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 937748)
reported spam

why is this?
never mind see the post in my email.

Dukepiles 01-25-2014 06:50 PM

ok i have been messing with some schemes trying to plan ahead lol here are a few. opinions on which looks best and which would be the easiest?
http://s30.photobucket.com/user/Mole...l01/slideshow/