WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   DX6/7 or Futaba? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72992)

MKE-Flyer 01-17-2014 02:55 AM

DX6/7 or Futaba?

So I currently own a DX5e and already can't get 100% throttle.. I have been looking at the DX6/7 or Futaba 6/8J as a upgrade with a few receivers. I plan on buying PNP,ARF or Build my own. Pretty sure I'm done with BNF, but not 100%.

What controller would be best to purchase? I want to get into larger scale down the road, but for now I like Micros and simple stuff. ;)

Please keep in mind, I want to stay between 100-375 range.

~ Chris

Wildflyer 01-17-2014 03:27 AM

Chris,

Favorite brands of RC equipment, is very much like politics, you will find people who like JR, Futaba, Airtronics, Spektrum, FrSky, and any other brand out there.

I have seen every size of plane from indoor to IMAC's flown with almost all brands.

I myself fly JR because I like the "feel" of the transmitter in my hands, I am VERY happy with JR.

All brands can use any size of servo's and Rx's, so they will all fly any size of plane.
When you get into large scale planes, then you may need more channels than most of the systems in your price range. One big exception to this is the FrSky Taranis, I have friends that have them and are happy with them.

You may get a better Tx if you look at gently used ones.

Good luck

pizzano 01-17-2014 03:49 AM

Wow....let the brush fire begin.....lol

Not quite sure why the OP is done with BNF since the Parkzone stuff $$$ wise matches up pretty well....guess there may be a hint of bias + towards Spektrum and DSMX DSM2 technology.

Best advise I ever got was purchase the most and best consumer rated you can with the budget you have at the moment.....or just buy your time and save for your hearts desire.

xmech2k 01-17-2014 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer (Post 937292)
So I currently own a DX5e and already can't get 100% throttle..

Can't get 100% throttle on what? Have you tried calibrating the ESC? Many of them have that feature so it will 'learn' full and off tx position. Turn on tx, throttle to full, (Prop removed preferably, or at the very least restrain the plane) plug in plane, wait for a couple of quick beeps, move throttle to off, before it goes into programming mode. Check your ESC manual for it, but it seems most do this now.

As far as which brand to go with, it's like the other guys said. Alot of it just comes down to personal preference. Compare the features, perhaps cost of rx's, etc.

kyleservicetech 01-17-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer (Post 937292)
So I currently own a DX5e and already can't get 100% throttle.. I have been looking at the DX6/7 or Futaba 6/8J as a upgrade with a few receivers. I plan on buying PNP,ARF or Build my own. Pretty sure I'm done with BNF, but not 100%.

What controller would be best to purchase? I want to get into larger scale down the road, but for now I like Micros and simple stuff. ;)

Please keep in mind, I want to stay between 100-375 range.

~ Chris

Whoa boy, a big can of worms.

You're going to find out that everyone will think their radio is the best one available. And you're not easily going to change their mind.

As to what radios are being sold, about 50% of the 2.4 Ghz radios out there are made by Spektrum.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

Spektrum has their "Model Match" function that absolutely prevents you from taking off with the wrong model programmed into your transmitter. (Think wrong model, and reversed ailerons equals instant crash) Spektrum has one of the best warranties out there. As often as not, they'll repair or check it out at no cost.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65573

Also, virtually all of the various Spektrum transmitters and receivers are totally compatible with each other.

I've had the original Spektrum DX7 unit that worked very well for some 5 years. Sold it, and the current owner is still flying it.

Now, I've got the DX8 transmitter, and about 10 receivers from the DX7 days installed in 10 different models, from about 150 watts to near 3000 watts. Never a glitch, they all work very well. That DX8 transmitter is extremely easy to set up for your various models. In fact, I set up mine for a giant scale 3000 watt model with two aileron servos, two flap servos, two elevator servos, and one rudder servo. And, didn't even need the manual to do it. Now, I've got the Horizon Hobbies tiny Bipe that weighs in at under 3 ounces, with battery. Also operated by the DX8 transmitter.

Receivers for Spektrum start at about $30 for a standard 4 channel full range receiver.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...y-md2-SPMR8800
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...er-SPMAR400#t3
This comes to $330 for the DX8 transmitter, and one four channel Spektrum receiver. This DX8 transmitter will be all you need, until you get into the wet $$$$ kerosene turbine models!

There is a reason that 50% of the radios out there were built by Spektrum. :D :cool: FYI, You might run across a review by a guy who indicates this transmitter is a real piece of junk. As a background, this guy was so full of mis-information, he got permanently banned from wattflyer.com.

rcers 01-17-2014 01:28 PM

I know around here Spektrum is king. On-line polls are, as pointed out earlier, cause for the "brand war" fanboys to taint the scale.

Go to SEFF, NEAT, Arizona, IRCHA and see what folks fly. Around here it is 90% Spektrum with others filling in, and my attendance at other large events shows that is maybe a tad high but not much.

So I think the Spektrum number is safely in the 80% range - not 50%. :)

That has NOTHING to do with "best" rather Spektrum won the market when shifting from 72MHz due to speed to market and an excellent marketing plan.

Brand use matters as it is always nice to have someone to ask a programing tip or help with. Spektrum will be well-known anywhere you go in the US.

With that said - ALL the major brands work and work well. So the brand war is really quite silly. ;)

For me Spektrum gets the nod as my primary system (I have Hitec, Futaba, Graupner and other brands of 2.4!) due to the wonderful number of BNF planes from Horizon (another reason they lead).

You say you are done with them - but trust me they will have more winners! So that, plus your investment in Spektrum equipment should help you stay.

To me the DX7s is the minimum system you should consider. DX8's go used for less and less these days and it is an EXCELLENT box. The DX9 is the bee's knee's. I even considered (for a short time) switching my DX18 for that.

Best of luck with the decision.

Mike

dahawk 01-17-2014 02:53 PM

I agree with Mike.

I also know first hand, the differences between Spektrum and Futaba. I had the 6EX and it served me well. In fact, I bought a second one used to have as a backup. Futaba fasst is a solid system. No question. They're genuine rx's cost and arm and a leg though. The 6EX doesn't even have a timer.

Then came the DX9. It was love at first site. Has everything I can think of ever needing and talks to me in a sexy female British voice. LOL .

I've since sold almost all my Futaba stuff and have not looked back. Best decision I have made in the hobby. Spektrum seemed to listen and then respond to market.

Choose your weapon...

Hawk

fhhuber 01-17-2014 05:02 PM

Which brand will affect your choices on "bind-n-fly". Ssome are Futaba compatible, some are Spektrum compatible and there are now some coming out that are for other brands (Tactic has some neat ones)

There are some features that are better in Spektrum... and others that are better in Futaba. Other brands can have other features that neither Futaba or Spektrum put in for the same price.

Whatever you pick, after you start accumulating a few RXs you are pretty well "married" to the brand. Spektrum was "firstest with the mostest" in 2.4 ghz so they hooked a large portion of the market.

I have a very large collection of Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX RXs so I'm going to stick wth Spektrum. That doesn't mean its what you need. It does mean that I liked the DSM2 stuff enough that by the time DSMX came out I was pretty well committed to the Spektrum systems.
Never had a "brown out"... but I always test to ensure I have adequate RX power supply after finding out with an old glow model and 72 mhz that inadequate RX power was a bad idea.

road king 97 01-17-2014 07:33 PM

Iam staying out of this one because i have had both but DXM recievers are cheaper. He He . joe

DHC Beaver 01-17-2014 08:27 PM

I'm firmly in the Frsky camp.
All my Futaba tx's have been converted with Frsky modules.
The new Taranis is fantastic value for money,and it will accept modules to change to other brand systems,instead of the built-in Frsky.This means you can use it with Futaba,JR,or WHY rx's.
It does require you to have an interest in programming though.I've had my Taranis for a month,and I'm still fiddling with the settings.The possibilities are endless.For a $200US tx,there is no equal.
But I have 2 of the el cheapo Turnigy 9x txs from HK,and I have to say,I can't fault them.Mine are FRsky converted,but even the stock 9x is fine for sport flying.I wouldn't use them for a 1/4 scale though.
If you are determined to spend more $,I was always a Futaba follower.Just personal preference.But really,I don't believe there are any "bad" radios now.Even Spektrum seems to have sorted their earlier brown-out problems.But give a dog a bad name,etc.

kyleservicetech 01-17-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHC Beaver (Post 937351)
Even Spektrum seems to have sorted their earlier brown-out problems.But give a dog a bad name,etc.

Yeah, early on, when ever the Spektrum receivers got hit by the receiver battery voltage sagging below safe limits, the receiver had to reboot. And originally that took several seconds. Spektrum redid their software some four or five years ago so the reboot time is about 1/2 second or so. My DX8 came with the receiver monitor that records loss of signals. After a dozen flights with a giant scale model, and zero loss of signals, that monitor sits in the spare receiver drawer.

IMHO, that minimum voltage is still a requirement though, in most if not all 2.4 Ghz receivers. For Spektrum, that voltage is about 3.2 Volts DC. That is a pretty big voltage sag on a five cell Nih receiver battery pack.

Most of the guys in my RC club that fly the larger models have gone to either the LiFe or A123 batteries for receiver power. And, under the typical servo loads of even the giant scale models with their many digital servos, the voltage on those LiFe batteries don't sag. Even at 15 Amps load.

MKE-Flyer 01-19-2014 11:30 PM

All good info, thanks guys.

I'm going with the DX7s from eBay, lots of goof bundles for 299.99. I was looking at the DX8 for the same price but I'm not sure if I'll use the extra channel for a while.

rcers 01-20-2014 12:11 AM

It's not just the extra channel but features too. :) But....the 7s is a fine system, congrats....

MKE-Flyer 01-20-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937554)
It's not just the extra channel but features too. :) But....the 7s is a fine system, congrats....

True!!! My bad, the DX8 is pretty awesome. :)

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer (Post 937546)
All good info, thanks guys.

I'm going with the DX7s from eBay, lots of goof bundles for 299.99. I was looking at the DX8 for the same price but I'm not sure if I'll use the extra channel for a while.

Out of curiosity, how does the ease of programming the DX7s compare to the original DX7? And how does the DX7s programming compare to the DX8?

I've had the original DX7 (Still have it) and programming a model with dual aileron servos, dual flap servos, dual elevator servos took a while. A LONG while.

Doing the same with the DX8 took about 5 minutes, didn't even need the manual. The DX8 shows the airplane model outline with the ailerons, flaps, elevator and rudder on its LCD screen, you just pick the one that matches your model.
Does the DX7s also work the same way?? If the DX7s and DX8 program in similar modes, the DX7s is a real step up from the original DX7.

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937324)
I know around here Spektrum is king. On-line polls are, as pointed out earlier, cause for the "brand war" fanboys to taint the scale.

Go to SEFF, NEAT, Arizona, IRCHA and see what folks fly. Around here it is 90% Spektrum with others filling in, and my attendance at other large events shows that is maybe a tad high but not much.

So I think the Spektrum number is safely in the 80% range - not 50%. :)

Yeah
Around my club, its probably 99% Spektrum. A couple of guys in my club did have problems with their Spektrum radios. Neither one involved lost airplanes. The problems showed up on the ground. One was way out of warranty. Repair was no charge. The second, Horizon couldn't verify the problem with the DX7 transmitter. So they replaced it with a brand new DX7. No charge.

That kind of information gets around. Fast.

MKE-Flyer 01-20-2014 04:04 AM

So now that I'm going with Spectrum I see a lot of AR6100/E for $20.00 on eBay and some even $5-$7, are these any good for 4ch receivers?

http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4161774.html

xmech2k 01-20-2014 04:50 AM

Just watch out for copycat clones with those rx's.

As far as Dx7s vs Dx8 programming, I have the 8, and set up someone's plane with a 7s, and for the airplane stuff, as far as I recall, it was identical.

MKE-Flyer 01-20-2014 05:03 AM

I was reading about them, it seems they are okay for Foamies and Park Flyers. When I get into larger more channel planes I'll buy OEM units. Also the Orange RX seem to get good reviews.

Perhaps with the small saving on my smaller planes I'll be buying the DX8.

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer (Post 937570)
So now that I'm going with Spectrum I see a lot of AR6100/E for $20.00 on eBay and some even $5-$7, are these any good for 4ch receivers?

http://www.targethobby.com/spectrum-...p-4161774.html

Yeah
Spektrum lists that AR6100E receiver for $49. Methinks these are counterfeit receivers. As for me, I'd never use one in any model worth a few $$$$.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59662

Spektrum does have a very good four channel receiver for $29.99. A lot of my club members are using them in their 100 MPH foamie jets. I've got one myself. They work well.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR400

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 937573)

As far as Dx7s vs Dx8 programming, I have the 8, and set up someone's plane with a 7s, and for the airplane stuff, as far as I recall, it was identical.

Hey, that's good information!!!

Thanks for the update.

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 937573)

Stolen technology??

MKE-Flyer 01-20-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 937578)
Yeah
Spektrum lists that AR6100E receiver for $49. Methinks these are counterfeit receivers. As for me, I'd never use one in any model worth a few $$$$.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59662

Spektrum does have a very good four channel receiver for $29.99. A lot of my club members are using them in their 100 MPH foamie jets. I've got one myself. They work well.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMAR400

Thanks!! That AR400 looks like a nice little unit. And for 29.99 you can't go wrong.

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer (Post 937575)
Perhaps with the small saving on my smaller planes I'll be buying the DX8.

That DX8 transmitter will serve you well for a long time. About the only thing that it may not do well is command one of those $6000 wet turbine models with a dozen servos and mixes all over the place.

kyleservicetech 01-20-2014 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKE-Flyer (Post 937581)
Thanks!! That AR400 looks like a nice little unit. And for 29.99 you can't go wrong.

Yup
That is a full range receiver, that will control your model a long ways away, far beyond your ability to see the model. Even if it's got a six foot wingspan.