WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Ace GLH (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73007)

Dave180 01-20-2014 05:20 AM

Ace GLH
 
1 Attachment(s)
I started this last year from plans. Shouldn't be too much longer. I'm hoping it will fly on the lower voltage lifepo4 and be reasonably fast.

CHELLIE 01-20-2014 07:06 AM

Hi, I really like the Goes Like Hell-o Plane :D from ACE, Why use the Lifepo4 batteries ???? Lipos are about the same price if not cheaper ???? The lifepo4 batteries will work, but i think they will be heavier, just my 2 cents worth, Take care, Chellie

Dave180 01-20-2014 09:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. I fly kind of in a natural preserve. If any smoke comes out of the batteries, the rangers won't be happy and I would probably be banned.

rcers 01-20-2014 03:31 PM

Great looking! What is your full power setup look like? I love these old ace planes. Have a Mach None - just for fun. :)

Dave180 01-20-2014 05:13 PM

Thanks. Right now there's a 2700kv 28-36 with a 6x5.5 prop and 40 amp esc in there. Probably should have went higher on the kv. I left room in the fuse for a 4s battery which might barely fit if I have to do that. If this thing go a 100mph or more on 3s then thats good enough. I finished the base color on the monokote.

rcers 01-20-2014 05:16 PM

I bet you will get 100 on that setup on 3s LiPo. I had the simple 400 with a 2200 kv on 3s with that prop going 80mph. :)

Dave180 01-20-2014 05:31 PM

Mmmm. Ok.

CHELLIE 01-20-2014 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave180 (Post 937610)
Thanks. Right now there's a 2700kv 28-36 with a 6x5.5 prop and 40 amp esc in there. Probably should have went higher on the kv. I left room in the fuse for a 4s battery which might barely fit if I have to do that. If this thing go a 100mph or more on 3s then thats good enough. I finished the base color on the monokote.

Might need to use a 5x5 prop with a 40 amp esc, i had a 2700kv motor in my funjet on 4 cells , 5x5 prop, and it went 103 mph, you may need to use a 5 cell Lifepo4 to see 100 + mph.

Dave180 01-21-2014 12:03 AM

Ok. Well I don't know. All I know is this guy can get 140+ mph on 3s lipo on a GLH. If he can get that then you would think it would be possible to get 100mph on lifepo4. He's using a 3550kv with 4.75x4.75 prop.

CHELLIE 01-21-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave180 (Post 937657)
Ok. Well I don't know. All I know is this guy can get 140+ mph on 3s lipo on a GLH. If he can get that then you would think it would be possible to get 100mph on lifepo4. He's using a 3550kv with 4.75x4.75 prop.


It All depends on your set up, with a 3550kv motor yes you can use less battery cells,
if hes is using a 3 cell lipo, then to get the same results you may have to use a 4 cell Lifepo4 battery, lipos have a voltage of 3.7 volts per cell, and lifepo4 have a voltage of 3.2 volts per cell, thats 1/2 a volt difference per cell, lipo ver Lifepo4

Dave180 01-21-2014 08:06 AM

The GLH is almost done!

road king 97 01-21-2014 10:47 PM

Hi Dave nice looking GLH ,you can find more ace plans here but most of them are tiled to print out at home. The GLH is in there also. joe I built the ACE Super pacer when i was young for my first pattern plane. joe http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Dave180 01-23-2014 05:54 AM

Thanks. I did get the plans on that site last year. Its a good baseline to start.

Dave180 01-25-2014 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One last shot before its gets thrown.

rcers 01-25-2014 10:51 PM

Looks great man...

Dave180 01-29-2014 12:37 AM

Well I flew it 4 times today. It's not an easy plane to fly. It doesn't like low speed at 27oz weight. Stalled it 3 times, 2 wild launches, a couple of hard landings. But I felt very lucky to walk away with it in one piece. Just a few scrapes on the battery hatch. Good thing I put those plywood doublers on the fuse! I think it was tail heavy and I added like 1/2oz to the front. Not sure whats really going on but the 4th launch not on video was ok with the added weight. It's pretty small on the camera but its better then nothing.

soarrich 01-29-2014 03:18 AM

Looks like it lives up to it's name GLH!
Try climbing at 45, roll inverted, let the sticks go. If it climbs it's tail heavy, if it slowly arcs over it's balanced about right, if it pull thru like in a loop it's nose heavy.

Dave180 01-29-2014 04:08 AM

Ok. I think I understand that.

Is trimming it down normal for like cruising speed vs high speed or is that a motor downthrust issue?

CHELLIE 01-29-2014 07:21 AM

Great Looking and flying plane :) One of my Favourite for sure :) Take care and have fun, Chellie

http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/atta...2&d=1390678724

soarrich 01-29-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave180 (Post 938370)
Ok. I think I understand that.

Is trimming it down normal for like cruising speed vs high speed or is that a motor downthrust issue?


After it's balanced correctly you can address the engine down thrust issue.

You may want to shim the back of the wing saddle some first to see if that helps. I think you'll find it is a engine thrust issue though, the motor is below the wing, that makes the thrust line below the center drag. The wing makes 2/3 ~ 3/4th of the drag. If the motor and the wing are on the same line you rarely need much down thrust.

Dave180 01-30-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Great Looking and flying plane :) One of my Favourite for sure :) Take care and have fun, Chellie
Thanks, it will be fun once the bugs are worked out.

Dave180 01-30-2014 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soarrich (Post 938396)
After it's balanced correctly you can address the engine down thrust issue.

You may want to shim the back of the wing saddle some first to see if that helps. I think you'll find it is a engine thrust issue though, the motor is below the wing, that makes the thrust line below the center drag. The wing makes 2/3 ~ 3/4th of the drag. If the motor and the wing are on the same line you rarely need much down thrust.

I rechecked the thrust line angle. Its the same angle as the wing. So I guess there is no downthrust or right-thrust. When I built it, I did lower the wing like 1/8" so it wasn't sticking up like a hump and wouldn't have to use 1/4" wood or foam on top of the fuse like it says in the plans. It also made it the right level for the front wing dowel. It might be awhile before I fly it again.

Wildflyer 01-31-2014 03:56 AM

Your video reminds me of my GLH, I flew it almost every weekend back in 1984. You can not take your eyes off it. It's a little dot going like H#!!

Mine had a full race modified Cox Tee Dee .051.
It now has a Tee Dee .09 motor in it, but I haven't flown it yet.
I have a GLH kit that I will build for electric, I had forgotten about the kit before you built this one.

Last week I was in Richardson TX, just north of Dallas. I had to find a hobby shop and see what they are doing there. I saw a GLH slightly enlarged (maybe 20%) with a L A .15 and a tuned pipe, I wonder how fast it was capable of.
Maybe that's why it was for sale.

Dave180 01-31-2014 06:06 PM

Thats cool. We need more electric GLH's in the air.

RepRapper 02-04-2014 12:40 AM

The GLH is a good airplane
 
I hadn't even thought about my GLH in years. I think I retired it after about 4 years of flying it. It was my first aileron airplane. Must have been in the late 70's. I flew it with a cox TD .049.

We used to race them with quicky 200's and OFM's. (One Fast Mother) they were a lot of fun. I bet mine is still in the boneyard of an attic somewhere in my garage. I think I feel a conversion commimg on.

It looks like it flys good as an electric too.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.14279 seconds with 15 queries