WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Multi-Rotors (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=244)
-   -   New Quad out! (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73035)

Ron Dog 01-24-2014 01:37 AM

New Quad out!

Have any of you guy's seen this one? http://www.latrax.com/alias-details.htm

rcers 01-24-2014 01:43 AM

Looks like the WL Toys version only 3x more money. :)

Ron Dog 01-24-2014 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937946)

Nope! It doesn't share any parts with other quads. A in house design. The performance and features,are what sets it apart. Check out the video!;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgHDddQ63jM

Ron Dog 01-24-2014 01:54 AM

Here's another!:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qZkcDUrdS8

pizzano 01-24-2014 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937946)

Nope, this one is not in the same ballpark as the WL......more in the same league as the Blade 180 QX.....maybe better.

I have a little experience with Traxxas...mostly their trucks/cars, my brother was into this biggg time, sponsored driver/rep.

Their electronic operating systems have come along way (although prioritized).......very good equipment......their motors are strong and durable...their gears and running systems are tough and available...I need to test drive (fly) one of these, noticed it's gear driven not direct drive, the battery compartment is clean and tight (organized) typical Traxxas. Like the features of radio/TX.....screen read out and antenna.........I'll report back on this one.

rcers 01-24-2014 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dog (Post 937948)
Nope! It doesn't share any parts with other quads. A in house design. The performance and features,are what sets it apart.

Looks mighty similar to me. I recognize that the parts may not be interchangeable, but the stats are very similar - except the price. :)

It does look nice - but not $150 nice to me at least. To be candid, it may be a bit lost on me. I am still trying to figure out what all the quad fuss is. ;)

MadMonkey 01-24-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937963)
I am still trying to figure out what all the quad fuss is. ;)

Catch me at the field sometime and find out ;)

hillbille 01-24-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Looks mighty similar to me. I recognize that the parts may not be interchangeable, but the stats are very similar - except the price. :)

It does look nice - but not $150 nice to me at least. To be candid, it may be a bit lost on me. I am still trying to figure out what all the quad fuss is. ;)

I would agree with this. This LOOKS like the same design AND appears to use the same TYPE components - i.e. BRUSHED MOTORS instead of BRUSHLESS motors. The FRAME appears to be very similar in LAYOUT and DESIGN for the components.

The WL Toys quad will not hardly go beyond 30 flights without losing a motor. They're brushed and small and will burn out quickly. But what makes it at all palatable is that there are replacement motors available CHEAP and easy to get. This is especially criticle if you're going to have to replace them every 30 flights or so.

The advertisement for the Latrax makes very SIMILAR claims of flight characteristics, components, maneuvers, and flight times. What it does NOT specify is if the motors are brushless or not. If the motors are brushless - THEN it would be worth the triple price as it then would have much increased lifespan over the WL Toys version. If not I believe most people will just view it as a re-brand of the WL Toys - at triple the price and NO real advantages to warrant that higher price.

To me this is like a Meyers Manx being called a completely different CAR than a Volkswagen. Once the body is off - they're both exactly the same no matter how much you argue they aren't. Cosmetics do not change the basic design.

Just my opinion of course.

Hillbille

rcers 01-24-2014 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMonkey (Post 937969)
Catch me at the field sometime and find out ;)

Deal.... I did fly the FPV version (Shane's) and had a kick of a time.... But I wasn't ready to drop a grand on it...

Ron Dog 01-24-2014 03:06 PM

The thing about quads is,they all have 4 motors,and a basic design. Thje performance is what set's them apart. It does have "brushed" (coreless) motors on it,and Traxxas has had some problems with them,but are sending out replacement motors to all that have problems with them. The thing that really shines is the Alias just flat out performs,under almost any conditions. There are many video's of it flipping,rolling,spinning,ect. in strong winds. Not just hovering,trying to hold it's position. There are guy's already "hacking" aftermarket motors into them. There is talk of a 350 size,in development with "brushless" motors,but it's under wraps. Traxxas is a "stand up company and their support is some of the best in the RC industry. I ordered one I found in the classified adds on a web/site. They are hard to find at the moment. There are a few left on Flea Bay at "inflated prices". The after market motors are cheap,and easily installed into it. Check this video out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cAMq3vmd_A

rcers 01-24-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dog (Post 937976)
Check this video out!

Yep he clearly likes one - but I had to laugh - Audi, Tesla design. LOL..... He clearly showed me a strong preference and hates the blade (to begin with, IMHO). I crashed this bad - worse than all the others, but it should have held up. Yea....

This really shows personal preference is different...

Mike

Ron Dog 01-24-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

You just have to fly a good one!;) The performance is outta the park,and it will leave you grinning from ear,to ear!:D The Tx (and I'm not a big fan of "game pad" controllers) it really packed with features. It has travel range adjustments, 3 modes of flight,and a display on the TX telling you the charge left in the "on board" battery in the quad.A landing buzzer telling you it's time to land,before the quad falls out of the sky!:rolleyes: (Are you reading this HH?) Comparing it to a WL quad,is like comparing a Ford Falcon,to a Corvette!:D They both have 4 wheels,and a motor,but that's about it!:)

rcers 01-24-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Dog (Post 937980)
You just have to fly a good one!;)

Lets see I have flown:
  • WL toys versions
  • Blade 180 QX
  • Nano QX (AWESOME)
  • Blade 350 QX
  • DJI Phantom
  • Homemade FPV Naza based
  • Estes micro one...(can't remember the name)
So I don't feel like a rookie. And I think there are some "good ones" on that list. :)

As I said above much of the thrill is lost on me. I do NOT like heli's and I think I am bringing my bias into quads....

I will trust you - it is better, check.

Mike

Ron Dog 01-24-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 937981)
Lets see I have flown:
  • WL toys versions
  • Blade 180 QX
  • Nano QX (AWESOME)
  • Blade 350 QX
  • DJI Phantom
  • Homemade FPV Naza based
  • Estes micro one...(can't remember the name)
So I don't feel like a rookie. And I think there are some "good ones" on that list. :)

As I said above much of the thrill is lost on me. I do NOT like heli's and I think I am bringing my bias into quads....

I will trust you - it is better, check.

Mike

Mike,I'm a plane guy too!
;) If you like the Nano QX,you will like this one! It's like a nano on steroids!:D I have problems with heli's at distance. They look the same coming,and going (to me)!
My friend has a 350 QX,and it fly's nice,but those "break away props" are a problem. Nothing can compare to watching your 400.00+ quad fall out of the sky,because of a prop failing!:( I like all aspects of RC. I've had cars,trucks,boats,sailplanes,helis,ect. The only 2 I got bored with was the sail planes,and sail boat (it was really boring,when the wind would die down,with it in the middle of the lake).:sad: My friend (another plane guy) talked me into trying quads,and I ordered a Nano QX to fly inside during winter,little did I know how well it would fly outside in the wind,until I tried it! I just couldn't believe how well it flew in the wind!:eek: After reading and seeing other guy's reviews/video's of the Alias,I knew I was wanting one! They just rave about how "locked in" it feels,but still being able to do any stunt in the book,at the same time. I'll let you know what I think of it,once it get's here.

pizzano 01-24-2014 07:08 PM

The biggest issue seems (to me) the difference between the direct drive vs. geared, brushless vs. brushed, speed of electronic control system and the RTF TX/RX compatibility and assortment of on board information.

I just got my hands on the Traxxas last night. A buddie of a buddie has one.

I have now flown these quads:

Blade Nano QX
Blade 180 QX
Blade 350 QX
Phantom DJI
LaTrax

They all have (to me) performance strong/week points and based on size quality vs. dollar, seem to all be within a few bucks + $10 of each other (except Phantom). The TX's (RTF) differ considerably....I like the Traxxas features but would prefer to be able to bind with a Spektrum.

I have found the performance of the Blade's to be close to the Traxxas, although (like stated previously) Traxxas is much quicker and sensitive in both low rate stability and low rate agility modes......did not fly the Traxxas in high rate agility mode, was in doors and not feeling real comfortable with my ability just yet. But the stability modes seemed a hair more predictable with the Traxxas.

I'm still on the bubble as to purchasing a 180-200 size quad....I moved up the scale latter with heli's with some success....and intended to do the same with quads....but the prices and performance issues are changing so quickly with these, I may just opted out and jump onto the 350 class instead.

Also, it was mentioned "what's all the fuss about quads" now.....? IMO, I believe that it's due to two things:

The cost, technology, flexability, availability (parts) and quality today has sparked a very serious interest in the flying RC world.

Quad pilot "friendliness" seems to be somewhere between that of mild 3d (low wing) planes and collective pitch heli's......and much easier for the entry level multi rotor guy to get a handle on (quicker learning curve)) rather than jumping from planes into CCP/fixed pitch rotors.......just my personal observation!

Regardless, with all the decent selections arriving on the market, It's a great time for us RC consumers who desire something a little bit different to fly other than what was around just 10 years ago.....! I know it's sparked my interest and continues to refine (or redefine) my pilot skills in a positive way.

Ron Dog 01-25-2014 02:25 AM

I've got the Blade NQX and 2 450 quads I built from parts. The 450's are great flyers,but I need something in between them in size. So I can rip it around the spare lot I have. The little Nanno is a great flyer,but is hard for me to see,with any real altitude. To be honest,the only quads I'm hearing not having problems are the ones that are assembled from components by the owners,like my 450's? I also noticed the Alias has one of,if not the best led lighting systems. Watching the video's it is easy to see,and keep track of when night flying. I use the Red Gem Fan props, and Red front arms,on my 450's,but haven't bothered to add lights to them.