WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Programming fundamentals (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73037)

DavidR8 01-24-2014 08:19 AM

Programming fundamentals

Hi everyone, I have a Futaba 7C, 2.4ghz. I would like to understand the general theory on how features like the flaperon settings and p-mixes work.

Can someone direct me a "computer radio programming for dummies" type of resource?

fhhuber 01-24-2014 09:51 AM

Flaperon is a mix where you connect one servo to eacy aileron, plugging the second into a separate channel (typically channel 6) Then mix the ailerons to the second channel at 100% and mix the second channel back to the ailerons also at 100%. Then you adjust the ATV value of the flap channel to get the desired result from that channel's knob/switch.
This mix is usually built into the radio as a function where you only have to select the % flap throw.

When using flaperon mix many radios offer "differential" which will cause the ailerons to move a different amount up vs down (usually less down than up) This reduces a phenomenon called adverse yaw where the downward moving aileron can cause enough drag to make the plane turn the opposite of the commanded direction.

Programmable mixes can be used to do almost anything desired. You can mix rudder to a spare channel to have a separate servo for the nose-wheel and adjust the % relationship to get correct nose-wheel steering direction and sensitivity. Or maybe you want to mount a pilot head on a pivot and have it move with the rudder...

Think about what you want out of a mix and you will be able to do almost anything you could want with that 7C.
Add a mix at a time and test the results.

yorkiepap 01-24-2014 04:16 PM

Hey David,
3 yrs ago I was 67 & got my 1st computer radio, the JR10X. WOW!!!!! Talk about hard to comprehend would be an understatement. With lots of practice using the Owner Manual, hands-on help from the experienced pilots at our club field, & YouTube, it all came to fruition. Now, I can do anything I want within the radios' parameters. I found that setting up one of my planes to experiment input-to-function on the plane, I could "SEE" what was happening with varying input data. Anyway, here's a link that will, hopefully, make your radio a bit easier to comprehend. Don't hesitate to experiment......

Denny

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ogramming&sm=1

DavidR8 01-24-2014 04:54 PM

Thanks gents, I'll have a look at the vid.

The Futaba manual is actually helpful in terms of explaining 'what' to do but it lacks on the 'why' to do something.

fhhuber 01-24-2014 05:37 PM

The "why" is often just.... because I can.

Its interesting to experiment with what strange mixing you can come up with.

With enough channels and mix functions (hard to run out on a DX-18.. but I try) you can have ailerons mixed to flaps mixed to elevators (for "tailerons") such that flaps follow ailerons, ailerons follow flaps (or move opposed to flaps depending on switch position) and elevators follow ailerons.
Roll rates don't get as extreme as you might expect with this... but it keeps the ailerons very effective at low airspeed.
Ailerons going up as flaps go down gives an airbrake effect and almost eliminates the chance of having the plane drop a wing on landing approach. Caution... you can lose airspeed very fast and it can make the airplane fall like a rock.

With any experimental mix: assign it to a switch and activate with plenty of altitude. If things get strange you want the time to turn the mix off for recovery.

pizzano 01-24-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR8 (Post 937993)
Thanks gents, I'll have a look at the vid.

The Futaba manual is actually helpful in terms of explaining 'what' to do but it lacks on the 'why' to do something.

There are some (why's) here....although somewhat basic info.....thumb through the other related sections....could be helpful to a TX newbie...;)

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rad...functions.html

At least it's a respones to the request "computer radio programming for dummies" type of resource?".......rather than babbling on endlessly about what I know......lol

dahawk 01-24-2014 07:39 PM

I'm now an ex-Futaba guy having gone over to the DX9. One thing to remember is that often times Futaba uses a reversed set of values than Spektrum so be careful when you get advice from a Spectrum or JR guy. Including expo for example is a minus value with Futaba whereas with Spektrum it's a plus value.

I had no problem with programming flapperons on the Futaba 6EX. Used them on the PZ T-28, a plane that did not have flaps. Worked great.

I think Fhuber's idea of using a spoileron/flap combo is a neat idea. With the DX9 and DX18 you can also adjust servo speed so when deploying flaps for example, you can minimize the ballooning effect by controlling the speed at which the flaps lower.

Have fun !

-Hawk

DavidR8 01-25-2014 02:57 AM

Why the switch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 938004)
I'm now an ex-Futaba guy having gone over to the DX9. One thing to remember is that often times Futaba uses a reversed set of values than Spektrum so be careful when you get advice from a Spectrum or JR guy. Including expo for example is a minus value with Futaba whereas with Spektrum it's a plus value.

I had no problem with programming flapperons on the Futaba 6EX. Used them on the PZ T-28, a plane that did not have flaps. Worked great.

I think Fhuber's idea of using a spoileron/flap combo is a neat idea. With the DX9 and DX18 you can also adjust servo speed so when deploying flaps for example, you can minimize the ballooning effect by controlling the speed at which the flaps lower.

Have fun !

-Hawk

Did you got to the DX9 for the additional channels at a better price?

dahawk 01-25-2014 12:20 PM

Well?

Nothing against Futaba at all an I'll never bad mouth them. I was looking for more capability, model memory, etc. and due for an upgrade. I actually had 2 6EX's Still have one of them. The 6EX didn't even have a built in timer.

So, when it came time to upgrade, I naturally looked at the 8FG and the new 14.

Pretty nice and I already had a boat load of Fasst RX's. Made perfect sense to stay with Futaba.

Then along came the DX9 and it was love at first site. I looked at her and she looked at me, and that was it. I put my name on the list at my LHS for getting in on the first batch. Have not looked back. Sold off most of the fasst rx's and one of my 6EX's .

I was smitten with the voice alerts, EG. " Gear up" " Low rates" "Landing flaps" " 3 minutes remaining" etc. I can feel my way around easily without looking down.

Have not really needed the extra channels but they're there. There are times for example when I wish I didn't have to "Y" cable everything.

Not that I'll ever need it but there's 250 model memory built in not to mention an SD card where model setups can be shared. There's even a wireless "buddy box" feature that works with other Spektrum TX's. No more cable.

The last big thing was having the ability to communicate with my fellow club members. With Futaba, they looked at me like I was from another planet. Now we're speaking the same language.

The price was on par or even lower than the competing Futaba. I think you can now find them for less than $350.00 And of course, the RX's, both genuine and compatible are far less than Futaba.

If you're happy with Futaba, by all means, stay the course. This was my story as to why I switched.

Cheers,

-Hawk

DavidR8 01-25-2014 04:00 PM

Model memory

M wife seems to think to ten model memory of the 7C is an excellent feature.

Truthfully, I just entered the sport in September starting with a Champ that I fly with the 5DX that came with my sim. That hooked me.

I managed to trade off some never used woodworking equipment for a Super Cub, a one flight only Fun Cub and the Futaba 7C. So it's the only computer radio I've experienced.

fhhuber 01-25-2014 06:11 PM

The 7C is a good radio.
Not as many features as I want with some of my advanced aircraft (building a model that will use 8 servo just for flaps)
It will meet the needs of more than 99% of the models flown today.

There's no real point to the brand wars that go on. All of the major brands make good stuff and several of the "off brands" are getting pretty good. There's a couple of the Chinese clones to avoid still.