WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help...My plastic floor pad at the computer is shocking me. (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73050)

cyclops2 01-25-2014 10:13 PM

Help...My plastic floor pad at the computer is shocking me.

How do you guys stop it ?

It hurts a lot. Almost like a sparkplug ZAP. Ever since this cold dry weather set into New Jersey.

Rich

dahawk 01-25-2014 10:17 PM

Move from NJ !

xmech2k 01-25-2014 10:40 PM

This might help: anti static spray

A humidifier or ionizing air filter would probably help too. Make sure your wife isn't skimping on the dryer sheets in the laundry too. (If she's the one doing it! )

And a scary fyi in case you didn't already know, a static shock has to in the thousands of volts to even feel it.

CHELLIE 01-25-2014 11:25 PM

Simple Solution, GET RID of the plastic floor pad, Problem Solved :D :D :D LOL

cyclops2 01-26-2014 12:11 AM

Wife is in the hospital. So I am flying all the of the house solo.

I did remove the plastic. I remember when these plastic plates had a grounding point on the plate.

Might see if I can find a company selling those static discharge wrist straps, I C places use.

Rich

Leadchucker 01-26-2014 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 938073)
Move from NJ !

Best advice you could get.

kyleservicetech 01-26-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops2 (Post 938091)
Wife is in the hospital. So I am flying all the of the house solo.

I did remove the plastic. I remember when these plastic plates had a grounding point on the plate.

Might see if I can find a company selling those static discharge wrist straps, I C places use.

Rich

Yeah, wrist straps are a permanent solution. I wore one of those for many years before retiring. Never got zapped, even once.

They do have "Grounding Plates" available under your chair for this type of use. But if my fading memory is correct, they are danged expensive. We also had those things, but the company paid for them.

kyleservicetech 01-26-2014 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 938078)
And a scary fyi in case you didn't already know, a static shock has to in the thousands of volts to even feel it.

Yeah, many thousands of volts!

Good way to kill a computer if you take to working inside it without first using a wrist strap. Or as a minimum, put your hand on the metal part of the case before putting the other hand inside it.

cyclops2 01-26-2014 01:38 AM

:)

thhn # 16. :)

Brick 01-26-2014 01:45 AM

i got a small area rug under my chair. $10 @ Walmart

Fishbonez 01-26-2014 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 938073)
Move from NJ !

Don't ever vote against Chris Christie??

Ahh Fish he mad a funny

Glacier Girl 01-30-2014 05:05 PM

Yep a humidifier would help. The dry air is the culprit.
I know our old house in PA had a settable humidifier as part of the whole house heating system.

FlyWheel 01-31-2014 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 938078)
This might help: anti static spray

A humidifier or ionizing air filter would probably help too. Make sure your wife isn't skimping on the dryer sheets in the laundry too. (If she's the one doing it! )

Volts don't kill, amps do (a taser packs a whopping 50,000 volts).

cyclops2 02-02-2014 12:40 AM

Waaahooo

1 Attachment(s)
Took several days to make it up.

Rich

kyleservicetech 02-02-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops2 (Post 938840)
Took several days to make it up.

Rich

LOL
Those were not allowed where I worked. Just think, if you touched a 120 VAC connection inside an electronic control with one hand, and that wrist strap ???? Not likely to happen while working with RC stuff. But all it takes is to put a resistor in the grounding wire, value not critical. Any value between 100K and 10 Megs would work just fine.

cyclops2 02-02-2014 01:44 AM

I am thrilled that I am getting no shocks for the last 1/2 hour.

I have loads of all resistors in all wattages.

Many thanks. I will put in a 4.7 meg.

It is only at my computer keyboard. BUT There is a metal 120 volt lamp socket with a 2 prong plug..........." Oh no Mr. Bill. "
Will change that to a 3 pin plug.
Check it right now with a meter & get the groun / neutral on the right pin.
We are getting like Polish jokes. Takes at least 3 of us to do a 1 engineer job. :)

Rich.

cyclops2 02-02-2014 01:55 AM

Lucky.
The cardboard sleeve inside the socket is still isolating.
The metal threads of the socket are neutral / ground. Need a new switched socket for it. Center contact is burned pretty good.

Thanks Kyle. :)

Rich

kyleservicetech 02-02-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclops2 (Post 938867)
Lucky.
The cardboard sleeve inside the socket is still isolating.
The metal threads of the socket are neutral / ground. Need a new switched socket for it. Center contact is burned pretty good.

Thanks Kyle. :)

Rich

No problem!

I've got a Western Mountain Battery analyzer that operates from the USB port on my computer. Didn't take long to find out that coming anywhere near that analyzer during a battery analysis will cause it to halt the analysis. All it takes is to first touch some grounded metal object before touching the analyzer, or the battery it is testing.