WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Electric Discussions (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lemon receivers (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73096)

tr4252 01-30-2014 09:52 PM

Lemon receivers

I've been following a thread on another forum about Lemon receivers, and am wondering if many people here are using them. They're saying the Lemons are reliable and they are also quite small and light weight. Price for a 6 channel unit is $5.95, and the manufacturer is a member there, and responds to questions and suggestions about products to a degree I've never seen before.

Bought 4 of them myself, but they arrived just yesterday, and I haven't had a chance to test them. They are exquisite little bits of tech jewelry.

Anybody here like them?

Tom

BroncoSquid 01-30-2014 10:38 PM

Never heard of them, but I am all about cheap stuff. Links????
[popcorn]

tr4252 01-30-2014 11:45 PM

It's at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773138

About 170 pages. How they overcame the name Lemon is anybody's guess, but it all sounds very interesting. A Mfgr. rep is a member, and they have actually taken suggestions from member posts and implemented them in their products.

Is it OK to put a link to another forum?

Tom

frankinfremont 01-30-2014 11:47 PM

re: Lemon receivers

Here ya go: http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/

Just received my two that I ordered, haven't had a chance to use them yet but according to the reviews by users in the rcgroups they are as good or better in range checks as most other "big name" RX. (now there's a long sentence!)

Here is the last page in that discussion forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...73138&page=170

pmullen503 01-31-2014 12:27 AM

I've used the LemonRx receivers since last spring. They're good! If you can use DMS2 reliably in your area (some can't,) you should give them a try.

hayofstacks 01-31-2014 01:33 AM

I just ordered 10. Let you know when they get here.

dahawk 01-31-2014 11:17 AM

I've been using them for about 6 months. RCers advises against using them in prized possessions like my Deuces Wild. Okay. I still buy AR600's so if I crash one of my favorite planes, I can't blame it on using a cheapo rx.

These are not counterfeits proclaiming to be Spektrum. They are DSM2 compatible-period.

I have not had any problems with them. Range check indicates as least a good as Spektrum and better than Orange from what I can tell. They're small and ideal for planes with tight spaces. EG. EDF's I do have one in my big VQ DHC-Beaver. No problem.

Negatives? The packaging. And the connection points( solder joints) for the antennas can break easily. I add a small blob of hot glue. There's no case but come with a wrap around thin mylar cover with self adhesive tape. Not the best. I bolstered this with a small strip of blenderm.

A 6 pack for about $26.00 That's the main attraction.

Worth a try IMO.

-Hawk

hayofstacks 01-31-2014 07:10 PM

From what ive read, they have the same chips as orange receivers with higher quality components.

One reveiw he had both an orange and lemon receiver installed on a plane for a range test and accidently powered them with a 3 cell lipo. The orange died and the lemon kept working.

baz49exe 02-01-2014 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info Tom. I've been really pleased with the performance of my Orange receivers ( five years and counting in some models ) so I've ordered a "Lemon" to give it a try.
Looks good from the reports:D

Baz

hayofstacks 02-11-2014 02:48 AM

Got here in ten days. 5 of 5 bound. gonna range check a couple of them tomorrow.

dahawk 02-11-2014 03:10 AM

Hay,

Got a hunch you won't be disappointed.

hayofstacks 02-11-2014 04:04 AM

I'm going to range test a full range and park flyer receiver against these lemon receivers and post my findings. I also plan on range checking the lemon receivers against each other.

dahawk 02-11-2014 04:14 AM

Cool,

That will be very useful info to dsm2 users here. I'm already a believer but not for any technical reason. A six pack of 6 channel dsm2 rx's for $26.00 and none have failed me yet. Spektrum purists will disagree of course and recite of whole list of reasons, technical or not. As long as they continue working, I'm a happy camper.

mclarkson 02-11-2014 04:17 AM

I've never even heard of these but I've been using OrangeRx receivers from HK for a year or two now, with nary a problem.

dahawk 02-11-2014 04:28 AM

Mark,

They do work well IMO. But they are lacking in packaging. Where orange has a hard case, these are basically raw pcb's. They do include a wrap around mylar band with a self adhesive piece of peel of tape.

The other minor weakness are the antenna's . They need a drop of hot glue or should be hot glued along a toothpick. They can break away from their solder joint very easily.

Function over form I guess. I won't use them on my Deuces Wild or new PC-9 just because if I crash for any reason, everyone will blame the Lemon. I do have one in a big, balsa/wood VQ DHC Beaver.

Here's the very long thread from RCG: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773138

mclarkson 02-11-2014 04:56 AM

I usually rip the hard case of my Oranges. :D

hayofstacks 02-11-2014 05:25 AM

A park flyer spectrum receiver has a thin plastic almost sticker. id say its almost as useless as none at all.

These use the same chips as the orange receiver. I have only flown one orange receiver, but all of my cheapie no names have performed as good or better then a genuine spectrum receiver in a range check.

pizzano 02-11-2014 06:06 AM

I've "been there done that" with inexpensive after market electronics on most of my 450 ccp's....and Slow Stick variety planes (exempt)......nevermore, not because they did not function well (in most cases), but I sleep better at night not thinking about the potential or possible cause of the casualities I've suffered due to what appeared as signal/electrical related failures.....especially now since most everything I fly has a larger $$$ investment associated with it.........I just happen to feel more secure with a hard shell protected pin/plug assignment....and if it dosen't fit just right due to size, I just make it fit right!....If I can't (at the time) afford a $30.00 AR 400 to put in my $150.00 to $200.00 plane, I wait until I can.

kyleservicetech 02-11-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 939694)
I've "been there done that" with inexpensive after market electronics on most of my 450 ccp's....and Slow Stick variety planes (exempt)......nevermore, not because they did not function well (in most cases), but I sleep better at night not thinking about the potential or possible cause of the casualities I've suffered due to what appeared as signal/electrical related failures.....especially now since most everything I fly has a larger $$$ investment associated with it.........I just happen to feel more secure with a hard shell protected pin/plug assignment....and if it dosen't fit just right due to size, I just make it fit right!....If I can't (at the time) afford a $30.00 AR 400 to put in my $150.00 to $200.00 plane, I wait until I can.

Yup
IHMO, the cost of a model should be about 1/3 for the radio system, 1/3 for the model, and 1/3 for the power system without battery pack.

Makes no sense to put in a $600 Spektrum receiver in a cheap foamie, or a $6.00 receiver in a giant scale model. :D ;) :cool: And, some guys will argue with that!

(Spektrum DOES have a $600 receiver in their catalog. A fellow club member bought one.)

As for that $30 Spektrum receiver, a bunch of club members are using them in their 100 MPH foamie jets. They've been flawless.

hayofstacks 02-11-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzano (Post 939694)

I guess I'm weird. I like to do weird things like match combinations and not waste money. I wouldn't put a $600 receiver in a plane. I didn't even pay that much for a car I've owned. every time I go out, I fully expect to crash and burn. Why buy a $30 receiver when you can have 5 for the same price? Where is the quality better on a spectrum brand receiver?

I am honestly quite disappointed in every spectrum receiver I've tested. my fm crap with the antenna down still range checks further then I can see it. my spectrum 6 channel with satellite, done in less the 30 steps. I've had a few lock up on me, but that ended up being my radio. weird I'm on my 3rd dx6i because of the cheap components, yet my old futaba radio that was made when I could hardly walk still works fine.

Quality is subjective. I like my crap to work. same reason I ditched the automatic in my 1987 tbird and replaced it with a manual from a 2003. If I had a model memory fm transmitter, id be all over it.

baz49exe 02-11-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baz49exe (Post 938737)
Thanks for the info Tom. I've been really pleased with the performance of my Orange receivers ( five years and counting in some models ) so I've ordered a "Lemon" to give it a try.
Looks good from the reports:D

Baz

Arrived today!!! that's ten days from order to delivery in the UK:D:D
If this terrible weather stops I'll be able to give it a spin.

crash_out 02-11-2014 06:04 PM

I've been using them for a while. Worked fine in small foamies, and even on some of my multicopters, which are pretty noisy RF wise. Neither of these get very far away from me, so I can't comment on the range. They hold signal as far away as my vision range allows me to maintain proper control.

I wouldn't use them in larger planes, but then again I don't trust the Spektrum parkflyer receivers in them, either. I generally stop using the parkflyer receivers and move up to receivers with satellites at around 300 watts, or less if it's a fast plane. I know there are people that use AR6100s in giant scale planes. I'm happy for them. But I won't do it.

rcers 02-11-2014 06:52 PM

Long winded post warning...

I too have several I am using. I purchased 5 early in the days of Lemon. 2 were out of box failures (OBF's). That made me VERY hesitant but the other 3 were quite good, with excellent ground range tests (as far as authentic Spekky). I send them a vid of the faulures and had two as replacements with no return. Nice. Both replacements worked fine.

I noted on this first batch that the boards and components looked to be at least as good as Spekky - if not better. Soldering was fantastic. This is NOT the case with any of my Orange RX's. It is clear the Lemon are made in a quality production line. The thinks look like they are made in the iPhone factory in fact.

About a year later I ordered 5 more. They were lost in transit. The vendor's wonderful service policy said - 45 days to make a post office claim. Well that certainly coincides with end of the PayPal's time limit for complaint so I was not happy. Sent another note and they said - they should show up...just give it some more time. This was about 20 days in. Hmmmm

At day 35 I told them they could send a replacement batch or I would simply file a paypal claim. They would not provide tracking but said they were "In Transit".

So at day 40 I filed a PayPal. About 6 days later Lemon sent another batch. They arrived in 8 days. This time I had one OBF. Hmmmm not making me feel inspired, but I had good luck with my others. So I just tossed the one in the bin and said no more Lemons for me. Granted I used the others. :)

As fate would have it, 57 days after I ordered, my ORIGINAL order showed up. So now I had 5 more. Again one OBF. I thought that strange and actually retested the "defective" RX on my old trusty DX7. It bound right up. Hmmmm Found out my issue was very likely just being too close to my DX18 - so perhaps those 2nd round OBF's were more my fault.

The original two from my first order didn't bind to any of my Spekky systems (I have a few, I'm sick what can I say...LOL). Not sure why I didn't test the failures on the 2nd batch with my other systems, but I didn't. Just don't fly much with the other systems and wanted them to work with my 18.

I use Lemon's on all my foamy type small models. They work well in those - with parkflyer size models. Even though they are undoubtedly full range, the small duplex antenna can have shadowing issues on larger models. I have them in a 100mph wing, and a 1.5m glider - been to way far out - with zero issues, bumps, hits or problems.

I do use a drop of glue on each antenna base - you MUST secure those or they will eventually fail (yes I have had that issue).

So I am anxious to try out their DSMX when those are out. I would much rather use that protocol as it is a tad better than DSM2.

Mike

kyleservicetech 02-11-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayofstacks (Post 939699)

I am honestly quite disappointed in every spectrum receiver I've tested. my fm crap with the antenna down still range checks further then I can see it. my spectrum 6 channel with satellite, done in less the 30 steps. I've had a few lock up on me, but that ended up being my radio. weird I'm on my 3rd dx6i because of the cheap components, yet my old futaba radio that was made when I could hardly walk still works fine.

How far out that range check on our 2.4 Ghz radios goes is a matter of transmitter design. By changing a two cent component value, the mfg can change the range test mode from 10 feet to 1000 feet. Other people have run full range tests on this equipment. They found ranges on the order of several miles, which should be enough for most RC'rs. That is about the same range as those 72 Mhz radios, give or take a bit.

The signal reduction by collapsing the 72 mhz transmitter antenna is pretty much fixed, the antenna can only get so small.

Nothing wrong with that 72 Mhz stuff. Especially if your club has gone to the 2.4 Ghz stuff, leaving the old frequencies wide open. Unless you go to a large fun fly event however. More and more of them are restricting to 2.4 Ghz radios.

kyleservicetech 02-11-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 939736)
Long winded post warning...

I too have several I am using. I purchased 5 early in the days of Lemon. 2 were out of box failures (OBF's). That made me VERY hesitant but the other 3 were quite good, with excellent ground range tests (as far as authentic Spekky). I send them a vid of the faulures and had two as replacements with no return. Nice. Both replacements worked fine.

I noted on this first batch that the boards and components looked to be at least as good as Spekky - if not better. Soldering was fantastic. This is NOT the case with any of my Orange RX's. It is clear the Lemon are made in a quality production line. The thinks look like they are made in the iPhone factory in fact.

About a year later I ordered 5 more. They were lost in transit. The vendor's wonderful service policy said - 45 days to make a post office claim. Well that certainly coincides with end of the PayPal's time limit for complaint so I was not happy. Sent another note and they said - they should show up...just give it some more time. This was about 20 days in. Hmmmm

At day 35 I told them they could send a replacement batch or I would simply file a paypal claim. They would not provide tracking but said they were "In Transit".

So at day 40 I filed a PayPal. About 6 days later Lemon sent another batch. They arrived in 8 days. This time I had one OBF. Hmmmm not making me feel inspired, but I had good luck with my others. So I just tossed the one in the bin and said no more Lemons for me. Granted I used the others. :)

As fate would have it, 57 days after I ordered, my ORIGINAL order showed up. So now I had 5 more. Again one OBF. I thought that strange and actually retested the "defective" RX on my old trusty DX7. It bound right up. Hmmmm Found out my issue was very likely just being too close to my DX18 - so perhaps those 2nd round OBF's were more my fault.

The original two from my first order didn't bind to any of my Spekky systems (I have a few, I'm sick what can I say...LOL). Not sure why I didn't test the failures on the 2nd batch with my other systems, but I didn't. Just don't fly much with the other systems and wanted them to work with my 18.

I use Lemon's on all my foamy type small models. They work well in those - with parkflyer size models. Even though they are undoubtedly full range, the small duplex antenna can have shadowing issues on larger models. I have them in a 100mph wing, and a 1.5m glider - been to way far out - with zero issues, bumps, hits or problems.

I do use a drop of glue on each antenna base - you MUST secure those or they will eventually fail (yes I have had that issue).

So I am anxious to try out their DSMX when those are out. I would much rather use that protocol as it is a tad better than DSM2.

Mike

Yeah
I've run across that with the Spekie receivers also. Don't bind a Spekie receiver with the transmitter right next to it. Just move the transmitter several feet away during the binding process.

As for Out of Box failures, to me that is a bit scary. Don't know what that indicates for long term reliability.