WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Power Systems (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   ESC problem (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73123)

normruth11 02-02-2014 03:45 PM

ESC problem

I have an ESC that does not power up receiver. Can someone help me as to how you power up receiver?

JetPlaneFlyer 02-02-2014 04:14 PM

That's not really very much to go on.

Have you connected the wire from the ESC to the throttle channel of the Rx and are you sure the plug is the right way around?

Some ESC's dont supply power to the receiver, these are called 'OPTO' type ESC's. If that's what you have you need to rig up a separate 5-6V power supply for the rec eiver, either a battery or a stand alone 'BEC'.

Telling us what hardware you are using and maybe a photo of how it's all connected would help.

normruth11 02-02-2014 06:32 PM

ESC help

After reading your reply I went looking and found BP Hobby sells a UBEC in three different sizes that I think it is what I need. They sell a 3, 5, and 7 amp, 5 volt output, 33 volt input, that you solder into ESC battery lead. comes with complete instructions. If this is what I need, I am not sure of size I should get. Amperage of ESC I have is 40 amp. Thank you very much for your help, I sure wish I was 50 years younger when I got involved in RC flying, but I have to say it brightens my day and provides many laughs
thanks again, Norm

rcers 02-02-2014 06:43 PM

Again it depends on your ESC - can you post a pic? MOST have BEC's built into them. Using a second one can also bring problems. Do you see the word OPTO on your ESC?

Mike

Wildflyer 02-02-2014 06:52 PM

An easy way to test if your ESC is delivering power to your receiver, is to plug in at least 1 servo as well as the ESC. If you can move the servo, then at least that part of the ESC is working. If you can not move the servo then the ESC may be an OPTO type, or the BEC part of the ESC is not working.

The amp rating that you would need is determined by the size of your servos (how many amps they use) and how you fly. if you fly in a cruising fashion, you can use a small BEC, but if you fly 3D where all servos are moving at the same time, all the time then you need a higher amperage BEC.

Good luck Norm, we will answer all your questions.
You & I are probably close in age, but RC flying is what keeps me young at heart.

JetPlaneFlyer 02-02-2014 08:49 PM

Almost all 40 amp ESC's will have a BEC built in. The OPTO type (without BEC) are generally only available on much higher rated ESCs.

If you own a multimeter you can check the output voltage of the BEC by testing between the red and black (or brown) wires on the plug that connects to the Rx.

More details of the actual ESC you have, and maybe a photo, would help very much in diagnosing the problem.

fhhuber 02-02-2014 09:47 PM

Generally if the ESC's BEC is not powering up the RX there will be one of 3 issues:

1) its not properly plugged in. No contact on one of the + or - leads (or both), plugged sideways (can burn out the BEC this way) or plugged backward.

2) BEC is burned out and will never power anything again.

3) The RX is bad.

normruth11 02-03-2014 04:46 PM

ESC

First of all I want to thank everyone who has helped me out , you guys are great. The ESC is one that does not fire up receiver, came from Hobby City. I read an article on about it. I will get one of the rigs that BP Hobby sells and try that ou. Many thanks again guys you made my day. Norm

Wildflyer 02-03-2014 08:59 PM

If we didn't say it before.

Welcome to Wattflyer, the friendliest electric forum on the web. IMHO
There are many things that need to be right to make a good electric plane, and we will help you with all of them.

normruth11 02-21-2014 12:00 AM

could someone tell me how to make a new post? thanks

Turner 02-21-2014 12:21 AM

Not sure what you mean. You have already started two new threads and have posted three additional times in this thread. You seem to know already.

kyleservicetech 02-21-2014 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by normruth11 (Post 940548)
could someone tell me how to make a new post? thanks

Just go to "Home" at the top left corner in the wattflyer screen. Then, look for an appropriate subject for your new thread. Example, locate "Formies" and click on it. Then click on "New Thread"

If you're all ready in an existing thread, click on "quote" at the bottom of your PC screen.

normruth11 02-21-2014 03:37 PM

confused

Sorry for the mix up, I guess old age and computers just don't jell. Guess best thing to do is read posts and keep thoughts to myself. Maybe I can get help from someone who can explain setup.

dahawk 02-22-2014 01:35 AM

norm,

Welcome to WF You already attracted some of the best and brightest here from the posts above. I'm not in that category but I will second rcer's input in that if you go with a separate bec , aka, UBEC/SBEC , and you're not sure if your esc has a built in Linear bec - make sure to disconnect the middle wire( red wire) on your esc.

or you'll have a bigger problem as Mike suggested. Hooking into DSM2, DSMX Faast ? What's your rx look like? EG Spektrum has a bind plug on the first channel position. The esc plugs into the second pin position( throttle) Futaba uses channel 3.

Did you try to bind the rx to the tx? and that's where you discovered nothing was working? Hear any beeps?

Good luck and by all means, have fun !

-Hawk