WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warbird Electrics (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   PZ-T-28 Combat (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73136)

waytooslow 02-03-2014 07:42 PM

PZ-T-28 Combat

A group of us at the 114th Aero Squadron in Grapevine Texas are taking our banged up PZ Trojans and plane on combat flying them -- we plan on using streamers. Has anyone done this? This should be fun :eek: [popcorn]

fhhuber 02-03-2014 09:08 PM

You'll be limited in streamer size they can pull.

Either find a source for appx 3/4" to 1" crepe streamer or you'll want to cut standard streamer (1.75") in half the hard way.

Then you'll want to cut to appx 20 to 25 ft lengths. (whatever divides out best for your streamer roll, not longer than 30)

at least 10 ft string between plane and streamer or you'll be increasing the mid-air ratio

I made a jig for my band saw to cut the standard streamers. It has plates to keep the streamer from shifting as its being cut.

You might allow the planes form Nitroplanes/Dynam's appx 1200=1300 mm series in your competition. Similar size and power.

waytooslow 02-03-2014 09:25 PM

all planes are welcome to the shredder er I mean competition.

I found a good source for streamers http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...ge.asp?ID=1136

just got to be foam and electric.

rcers 02-03-2014 10:23 PM

Stock power or no limits? :O)

dahawk 02-03-2014 10:38 PM

Okay. Get me a streamer for my Durafly Spitfire and I''ll be happy to cut T-28's to shreds all day long. LOL

hayofstacks 02-03-2014 10:41 PM

I was pulling 40ft 2 inchish wide streamers behind my slow stick, just tied around the tail wheel. Had alot of fun. Me and two other guys.

Chucksolo69 02-04-2014 02:40 AM

Try combat using the Parkzone Sonic Combat module. I have flown combat with these units installed on two HZ Super Cubs painted to look like WWI German and British aircraft. It is a blast. The modules are about twenty five bucks each.

waytooslow 02-04-2014 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcers (Post 939106)
Stock power or no limits? :O)

Mike -- do you have to ask? you know me -- MUST GO FASTER -- unlimited. But mine can turn on a dime and pirouette like a ballet dancer. I think that control turns will be the master. I will be running a power 10 or 15 as needed. Power 10 is all you need.

So far, me, Tim are confirmed have a few others that have expressed interest. You in? :)

waytooslow 02-04-2014 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 939107)
Okay. Get me a streamer for my Durafly Spitfire and I''ll be happy to cut T-28's to shreds all day long. LOL

In your dreams [popcorn], first you have to keep it in the A I R :eek: - the smack begins.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

okay lets put the first limit on WS of 1400mm or below. or not?

pizzano 02-04-2014 04:56 AM

My PZ T-28 is still to purdy to slice and dice......and nothing else I own, outside of the Slow Stick, would be worth the risk.......:rolleyes:

LSP972 03-09-2014 05:29 AM

As long as you keep the speed up, its a very agile model with the throws cranked up. I have a new one with less than a dozen flights on it, that I have been flying rather gently. I'm an old balsa guy and still not too sure about these foamie things.

But today, I felt adventurous and was chasing buzzards all afternoon. There are days when we have dozens of those things cluttering our airspace. I have a 20-year-old Sig Kougar with an OS .40 that is a buzzard-chaser par excellence; this PZ T-28 is quicker to respond and more manuverable to boot, when you dial back the exponential.

Chasing these critters is a hoot; if I can get one to "flinch" (accelerate and change direction via frenzied wing flapping), that's a kill.

I imagine the T-28 wouldn't fare so well if I actually hit one. But my grandson hit one with the Kougar. Killed the engine and broke a prop blade, but aside from that, and the buzzard guts, the model was no worse for wear after a dead stick landing (the buzzard went down like a shot duck).

Anyway… you guys have fun. Should be a large time for all.

thepiper92 03-09-2014 07:25 AM

Lol, I would be the guy circling around above everyone, hoping not to get hit.

ianfox 03-09-2014 08:21 PM

waytooslow 03-10-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSP972 (Post 942044)
As long as you keep the speed up, its a very agile model with the throws cranked up. I have a new one with less than a dozen flights on it, that I have been flying rather gently. I'm an old balsa guy and still not too sure about these foamie things.

But today, I felt adventurous and was chasing buzzards all afternoon. There are days when we have dozens of those things cluttering our airspace. I have a 20-year-old Sig Kougar with an OS .40 that is a buzzard-chaser par excellence; this PZ T-28 is quicker to respond and more manuverable to boot, when you dial back the exponential.

Chasing these critters is a hoot; if I can get one to "flinch" (accelerate and change direction via frenzied wing flapping), that's a kill.

I imagine the T-28 wouldn't fare so well if I actually hit one. But my grandson hit one with the Kougar. Killed the engine and broke a prop blade, but aside from that, and the buzzard guts, the model was no worse for wear after a dead stick landing (the buzzard went down like a shot duck).

Anyway… you guys have fun. Should be a large time for all.

Scored a hit today! I got a major directional change with freak out from a huge buzzard today at the field today. Me and Tim were doing some tight chase flying to gauge abilities prior to actual combat. We saw a small group of buzzards catching the thermals and coming right over the field. So, off we go to terrorize the birds. Sadly Tim crashed his bird after losing radio connection., it was probably our Karma from messing with the bird - Dang, I had the ribbon just sitting there, waiting.

My beater T-28 now sports a Headup RC Power Up Speed 25 (1100kv), 60 amp esc, 4S 2200 mah - I am still experimenting with props but have found the 10x7 is a great all around choice. Its fast, but lots of grunt for super fast power outs, hovers and other acrobatics. The fuse and wing have been well reinforced, one can pretty much snap it vertical at higher than sane speeds. It will hit passes 80 for short bursts all day long.

This thing is on rails. However, the longevity of the Power Up is questionable. There was a definite change in motor sound, after a hard day of tearing up the sky. I might just pop a Eflite 25 (1250kv) in it for grins. I bought my girl a new Fuse after smacking a pvc pipe that was left out as a marker on runway for weed killer application. - \\\ bang, I found it!!! :eek::D also a new cowl, the wing is from original and will still use the elevator and rudder servos, but pretty mush everything else is part replacements.

I tried a Eflite Power 25 (870kv) but found it anemic. or I just could not get the propping right. The saga continues.

If I had to have only one plane, it would have to be a 28. Fun plane.

dahawk 03-10-2014 12:28 PM

Always enjoy watching WTS experiment with his T-28. Have never seen a faster one. Big Wow factor. Probably pushing the limits of the airframe or right on the edge.

LSP972 03-10-2014 01:52 PM

A Power 25??? Holy cow...

Methinks I had better stay with stock. You're right, though, it is an excellent general purpose airframe.

I am still kicking my self for not immediately snarfing the NIB silver (Air Force scheme) one I saw in a hobby shop some months back. By the time I realized I should grab it, it was gone.

Sigh...

Ace007 03-10-2014 05:27 PM

I need to get into combat...

waytooslow 03-11-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahawk (Post 942130)
Always enjoy watching WTS experiment with his T-28. Have never seen a faster one. Big Wow factor. Probably pushing the limits of the airframe or right on the edge.

Thanks for the kind words -- but I am a speed freak that just can't help himself. :D