WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Power Systems (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Aileron servo not working (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73148)

thepiper92 02-06-2014 01:48 AM

Aileron servo not working

I just hooked up all the electronics in my P51, including the Frsky receiver with my new 9xr. For some reason, the servo stops working randomly. The ESC is some 20a Hobbyking one, although I will be installing a better one, I'm just using it to test everything out. I don't know what is wrong, whether it isn't bound well, the esc, the servo or the receiver. I unplug the battery to the plane and plug it back in and I can see the servo moving, then it is dead when trying to control it. I will suddenly start working, then randomly die yet again.

xmech2k 02-06-2014 03:10 AM

Details will help. There are a lot of P-51s out there! What size is it, how many servos, dual or single aileron servos, what battery, etc.

Also, I doubt there is such a thing as a 'bad bind'. Either the tx and rx are bound or not.

Check the servo connection very carefully. Is it plugged in fully? Maybe a pin in the connector came loose and isn't fly engaged.

thepiper92 02-06-2014 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xmech2k (Post 939300)
Details will help. There are a lot of P-51s out there! What size is it, how many servos, dual or single aileron servos, what battery, etc.

Also, I doubt there is such a thing as a 'bad bind'. Either the tx and rx are bound or not.

Check the servo connection very carefully. Is it plugged in fully? Maybe a pin in the connector came loose and isn't fly engaged.

It's the Mountain Models P51 I just built. Perhaps it's the y-connector. I'll have to see if a different connector works better.

mclarkson 02-06-2014 05:31 AM

I would say that 75% of the time I've had that kind of problem, it's been the servo itself that was bad. Can you swap leads with the other aileron servo and see what happens then? Or plug a known good servo in place of your suspect one?

thepiper92 02-06-2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclarkson (Post 939305)
I would say that 75% of the time I've had that kind of problem, it's been the servo itself that was bad. Can you swap leads with the other aileron servo and see what happens then? Or plug a known good servo in place of your suspect one?

Well I already had that issue. The one servo wasn't working at all, and I ripped it out and put a new one in. It worked, then had the issue of not working, it may be one side of the y connector not working properly. It is a fairly new servo, came off of one of my first planes, and the servos never failed on it. The servo sounds fine, just it suddenly doesn't work after I move the plane around a bit. As the wire coming out of the servo is held tight in the mounting area, it wouldn't be moving.

xmech2k 02-06-2014 07:04 AM

Maybe a bad y-harness? Jiggle it while troubleshooting.

JetPlaneFlyer 02-06-2014 07:31 AM

Diagnosing things like this simply needs a logical systemetic trouble shooting approach.

In this case if I understand it right: One aileron servo is working ok, the other is not, and they are on a Y-lead.

So it's quite obviously not a receiver or transmitter problem, otherwise neither servo would move.

First check that the control surfaces and pushrods (when disconnected from the servos) move freely with no binding or stickiness and minimum resistance.

If the surfaces move ok then next reverse the Y lead so that the leg of the lead that's been connected to the 'bad' servo is now connected to the 'good' servo, and vice versa. Check to see if problem now transfered to the other servo.

If the problem transfers then it must be a bad Y-lead. If it stays with the same servo then it's a bad servo.... simple

solentlife 02-06-2014 08:34 AM

JPF is right, it's a bit if systematic diagnosis by testing each part in turn.

First us to swap over servos and see if same servo acts up or same y lead extension.

One item that proves excellent in this - a servo tester. For less than a decent servo price, you have a tester that identifies all faulty servos and connections. Safes all the hassle of RX access etc.

Being a Y lead job - it is not RX..... it has to be in the Y lead or servo itself.

Nigel