WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New Member (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73162)

vimy 02-09-2014 03:12 PM

New Member
 
Hello to everyone here,

I'm rejoining the RC fraternity after a 30 year absence, this time starting with electric power. I've just purchased a transmitter and the plane will be an Apprentice 15e.

From what I have seen of it, I like it's versatility.

I trained on a high wing, aileron plane the last time, using ailerons and elevator only at first, then rudder later on.

Electric is the way to go for me at this time, now the motors have come a long way since the Astro motors of the 1980's and the Lithium Polymer cells. I have an electronic/technology background, so this is an interest in itself.

My specific interests are early mono monoplanes, pre-WW1, WW1 aircraft and all other biplanes.

My ID is named after the Vimy G-EAOU on display at the Adelaide Airport.

Regards,

vimy

dahawk 02-09-2014 03:18 PM

Welcome Vimy !

I did the same thing a little over 3 years ago. Congrats on the Apprentice and the return to the addiction.

Lots of good info and talented, smart and fun people here more than willing to help you along in your comeback. My favorite site by far.

Cheers and enjoy the ride,

Hawk

xmech2k 02-09-2014 03:39 PM

Welcome aboard, Vimy! You're gonna love that Apprentice. Is it the new S version? I still have my original version Apprentice (going on 7 years now, I think, and now just starting to fly the proverbial 100mph edf's! ) and just had a great time with it yesterday playing in the wind. As far as your favorite planes, are you a builder, too?

rcers 02-09-2014 04:34 PM

Welcome back... Good stuff happened while you were gone...

Don Sims 02-09-2014 10:39 PM

Welcome to WF Vimy!!!

vimy 02-11-2014 10:46 AM

Hello to the WattFlyer community. Thank you to all those who replied to my introduction.

Hawk, I watched too many people having fun with quad copters down at Hallett Cove beach and sailplanes off the cliffs at the same beach. Then, someone came down to the beach and ran a high speed quad with a camera on it. After that I was hooked and had to get back into it. Unfortunately I can't find the video footage of that flight, despite may attempts.

Hello xmech2k...You're gonna love that Apprentice. Is it the new S version?

Ummm, (flicking through the pages of the magazine), Yes, it will the Apprentice S 15e. I always research every major purchase and this plane came up as the only logical choice with it's controlled flight characteristics for learners. My transmitter is a Spektrum DX9, again, I went through the research process and the DX9 is the only one that ticked all the boxes for future use.

Yes, I used to build all of my own models from balsa kits. For me, that held as much enjoyment as flying the model.

Hello rcers, yes, I noticed the difference when I first walked into my local hobby shop for the first time in years. The very first thing I noticed, before I laid eyes on anything specific, WAS THE ABSENCE OF THE SWEET SMELL OF DOPE AND BALSA. This told me something profound, that the materials had changed. The most welcome changes are the improvements to electric power and the 2.4GHz transmission frequency. Radio bandwidth is not the critical issue it once was down at 36MHz. The latest range of electric power is just mind blowing, amazing. I still like IC engines, especially the radials, but the level of noise they made, particularly when you are up close, gave me severe migraine headaches every time I left the airfield. Electric power should not be a problem.

I must say, I lament the overall passing of balsa kits. Modelling has lost it's soul as it were, probably it is more like that I'm old fashioned though. :P

Thanks Don, from the warm welcome I have received, I can tell this is a site I will enjoy very much.

Kind Regards,

vimy

carpetbagger 02-11-2014 01:23 PM

Balsa kits are still available from several vendors, or you could drop into outerzone and search plans, download one or two you like, and start whacking up balsa.

The Apprentice with the stabilization system is one wicked cool airplane.

vimy 02-11-2014 02:18 PM

Hello carpetbagger, thankfully there are kits and plans still available, but kits seem to be a rarity these days.

The biggest model shop here in Adelaide has no balsa kits at all, saying there is no demand for them and the cost is prohibitive.

If you want to scratch build from plans, do you get parts precision cut by machine for critical components such as wing ribs?

I saw demonstrations of the 15e on YouTube, that sold me on it. It will give me confidence to teach myself to fly.

dahawk 02-11-2014 02:42 PM

Way to go. +1 on the DX9. You'll love it. Sexy female British voice telling you what's going on. LOL.

I've been adding balsa arf's every chance I get. Just added a Tucano PC-9 manufactured in all places, Vietnam. I agree, good stick kits are hard to find. My very first plane was a Joe Bridie trainer that took me an entire winter to build, circa 1979. Many a trip to the LHS. We now live in a 'crash and buy a new one' world now, ergo, foam.

carpetbagger 02-11-2014 03:00 PM

No, vimy, I have not yet ordered a laser cut kit. I make rib templates and what all and cut out the parts. Secret is sharp blades so I go through a lot of blades. Sometimes I go for a foam core wing and have an old school hot wire bow for that.

vimy 02-11-2014 05:33 PM

The DX9 is a girl transmitter, "she" started out with an American accent then "she" became British when "she" had an upgrade. I read this anecdote somewhere in either RC Groups or RC Universe.

Apparently you can change the accent to suit your tastes. I got this info from my local model shop. :P

I built the Hustler trainer from a South Australian company called Aeroflyte here in Adelaide, sadly, they no longer exist.

BTW, a little off topic, it's been 42.5C yesterday and will be expected to be 43C later today. This will be the thirteenth day we have had temperatures of 40C + this summer, though not in a row thankfully. I hope you don't have weather like this where you live. This is about 109F and we are fed up with it.

I can imagine laser cut parts will be an expensive exercise. When I sold all my previous gear 20+ years ago, I had an unbuilt Skybolt biplane with veneer laminated foam wings and an unbuilt Sterling Kits Fokker D7 with lots and lots of parts.

I have seen the Outerzone site for plans, very impressive collection. Some of them familiar from the 1970s RCM magazine by the late Don Dewey. I have a small collection of around 20 of those magazines. Somewhere.

My plan is to keep it simple to start with, this time round**. Looking for simple kits, I stumbled upon this site and contacted Randy:

**I vaguely recall saying this to myself in 1983. It got complicated very quickly after that and probably will again this time. :)

http://m-a-e.com/

I particularly liked the Pico Tiger Moth, but....

Randy is winding down the business now as he wants to retire. Damn, I am too late in starting up again. I don't know if the website will still be maintained much longer after retires, I hope it is. For now, this is the kind of thing I like.

It is 0400 hours, yawn.. See ya Hawk, carpetbagger.

carpetbagger 02-11-2014 08:00 PM

I won't see hot weather soon - here in the sunny south (Coastal North Carolina) it is snowing - 7" (17.7 cm) down so far.

Aeroflyte - check out hip pocket builders forum. http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php
Register, than register for the "plan Gallery". The Aeroflyte plan section has near 70 plans, instruction sheets, vintage adverts . . .

kyleservicetech 02-12-2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vimy (Post 939727)
The DX9 is a girl transmitter, "she" started out with an American accent then "she" became British when "she" had an upgrade. I read this anecdote somewhere in either RC Groups or RC Universe.

Apparently you can change the accent to suit your tastes. I got this info from my local model shop. :P

I built the Hustler trainer from a South Australian company called Aeroflyte here in Adelaide, sadly, they no longer exist.

BTW, a little off topic, it's been 42.5C yesterday and will be expected to be 43C later today. This will be the thirteenth day we have had temperatures of 40C + this summer, though not in a row thankfully. I hope you don't have weather like this where you live. This is about 109F and we are fed up with it.

I can imagine laser cut parts will be an expensive exercise. When I sold all my previous gear 20+ years ago, I had an unbuilt Skybolt biplane with veneer laminated foam wings and an unbuilt Sterling Kits Fokker D7 with lots and lots of parts.

I have seen the Outerzone site for plans, very impressive collection. Some of them familiar from the 1970s RCM magazine by the late Don Dewey. I have a small collection of around 20 of those magazines. Somewhere.

My plan is to keep it simple to start with, this time round**. Looking for simple kits, I stumbled upon this site and contacted Randy:

**I vaguely recall saying this to myself in 1983. It got complicated very quickly after that and probably will again this time. :)

http://m-a-e.com/

I particularly liked the Pico Tiger Moth, but....

Randy is winding down the business now as he wants to retire. Damn, I am too late in starting up again. I don't know if the website will still be maintained much longer after retires, I hope it is. For now, this is the kind of thing I like.

It is 0400 hours, yawn.. See ya Hawk, carpetbagger.

If you'd like a nice selection of model airplane kits, www.towerhobbies.com has a pretty good selection of them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=AAP

What size models are you interested in???? And how many $$$$?

PS, 42.5 C??? What part of the world are you from??? Right now outside in South East Wisconsin it's 6 degrees F out. That is -15 Degrees C.

Just read the previous posts in this thread. Australia! That is one country I never got to during many trips both in the USA and foreign, before retiring six years ago.

AEAJR 02-12-2014 04:47 AM

If you like building wood kits, check out www.mountainmodels.com . They make great kits.

fhhuber 02-12-2014 05:22 AM

Stevens aeromodel has a good selection of smaller laser cut kits appropriate for electric power.

There are many sources out there for balsa kits.

Local hobby shops are more interested in keeping stock of what sells fast and that tends to be ARF/BNF/RTF models now.

vimy 02-12-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger (Post 939749)
I won't see hot weather soon - here in the sunny south (Coastal North Carolina) it is snowing - 7" (17.7 cm) down so far.
Aeroflyte - check out hip pocket builders forum.

Thanks CB. Can we swap weather please? We badly need some cool weather, snow would be useful too. It will help the "Incredible Hulk" Erikson Skycrane to put out an out of control bush fire in South Australia's Flinders Ranges. The Skycranes have been a life saver for us here. We'd be stuffed without them. This bushfire was started by lightening about a month ago. Other bushfires are started by that perennial menace, the fire bug.

Hello Kyle, I like anything simple to build and light as I am starting flying all over again. I just notices the MAE website and liked the conversions Randy was (is) doing to standard GWS designs. Smaller, lighter, planes means less crash damage and cheaper to repair.

The thirteenth day of heat over 40C this summer. An unwanted record at 42C. A change is coming over, but right now there's no wind and it's humid at around 30C and it's 2250 Hours.

Hello AEAJR, just looked at the link you sent me and... A Roland C 2 biplane!!! One of my favourite biplanes of WW1. Cartoon Scale? I had a closer look at it and now I know why. At least I saw a model of it. Liked the stagger wing as well.

Hello fhhuber, there are some excellent micro models there. Particularly the scale vintage aircraft. Like the parasol wing planes.

I don't know what it is like in the other states of Australia, but kits off the shelf are hard to come by here. You can't expect model shops to stock kits when there is no interest in them.

At least I know there are kit developers still out there.

Anyone remember Don Dewey and his publication RCM?

Does anyone you know, balance their propellors?

With no or very minimal vibration from the motor, most of the vibration will be coming from an out of balance prop. I used to balance propellors all the time before use years ago so there was minimal stress on the air frame and the engine.

Regards,

vimy

rcers 02-12-2014 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhhuber (Post 939801)
Stevens aeromodel has a good selection of smaller laser cut kits appropriate for electric power.

There are many sources out there for balsa kits.

Local hobby shops are more interested in keeping stock of what sells fast and that tends to be ARF/BNF/RTF models now.

The issue with Stevens is Bill is pricing himself into oblivion.

I really like the Pixie - but am not going to pay $129 plus shipping for a model of this size and complexity.

I know kit making is a labor of love - but http://www.alienaircraft.com/ (another good spot) has a larger plane for $39. All laser cut and of similar complexity.

carpetbagger 02-12-2014 01:45 PM

Yes, I balance props. I use a magnetic (axle) balancer I got from Heads Up RC. Nifty gadget. It will balance ducted fans as well. Some folks balance spinners and even the rotor part of the electric motor.I'll pass on those balance details until I get bored or snowed in for a week.

vimy 02-12-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger (Post 939823)
Some folks balance spinners and even the rotor part of the electric motor.I'll pass on those balance details until I get bored or snowed in for a week.

Heh :P Getting snowed in will never happen here. I have no concept of snow at all. Heat has a similar effect here, no one in their right mind goes out in it unless they have to.

Except for the exceptionally cheap units, I would have expected rotors to have been balanced. MMMMM....

CB, do you take several charged battery pack to the airfield and charge the used flat ones off the car battery via a balanced LiPo charger?

How long does the charge last in a modern transmitter? Eg. the number of 6 minute flights?

carpetbagger 02-12-2014 04:03 PM

I doubt you can run a Tx nicad flat in a day of flying. Back in the good ol' days (`70s & `80s) Tx batts weren't a problem, even Rx 500 mah packs would good to for a few hours. My new getting back into RC after a 30 year vacation radio is a Futaba 4YF = no fancy gadgets and no Tx nicad, runs of 4 AA alkaline cells. It has a low batt light on the Tx, but from way back experience the budget 2 & 3 channel radios on dry cells would go for days of activity before the batteries pooped. I have no clue how much juice one of those fancy computer program radios sucks down.

Of course with electrics one has a BEC to fire off the Rx and servos. I ran static tests on my motors rigged with prop and they all turned in about 9+ minutes of hot run time. My lipo balance charger will work off AC and 12 volt but I haven't tried 12 volt yet. Since a safe charge rate eats up about an hour I think packing along a spare charged battery would be the plan. I'm now up to two batteries of every size I use.

rcers 02-12-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger (Post 939830)
I doubt you can run a Tx nicad flat in a day of flying. Back in the good ol' days (`70s & `80s) Tx batts weren't a problem, even Rx 500 mah packs would good to for a few hours.

Those dudes were VERY low power... The RX itself was next to nothing and older servos were very miserly. That has changed. RX's draw 3-4 times the power around 200mA. Modern servos are super power suck devices, especially digitals. Staggering power in some cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger (Post 939830)
My new getting back into RC after a 30 year vacation radio is a Futaba 4YF = no fancy gadgets and no Tx nicad, runs of 4 AA alkaline cells. It has a low batt light on the Tx, but from way back experience the budget 2 & 3 channel radios on dry cells would go for days of activity before the batteries pooped. I have no clue how much juice one of those fancy computer program radios sucks down.

Depends - but generally a fair bit more power for the LCD's and especially backlight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger (Post 939830)
Of course with electrics one has a BEC to fire off the Rx and servos. I ran static tests on my motors rigged with prop and they all turned in about 9+ minutes of hot run time.

NO!!!! Never do ground static tests for more than 30-45 seconds. As you point out - they overhead quite rapidly.

When stuff moves through the air - they cool significantly more than with air moving.

Mike

carpetbagger 02-12-2014 04:56 PM

rcers - yes, I hear digital servos suck up the juice, mine are analog.

Overheating might be a problem with mega-amp setups and big motors, but all my stuff is small. 180, 250, and 300. The 300 got kinda warm but not hot. My "hot run" comment referred to wide open throttle with a few back downs just to grab an estimate of flight time available.

rcers 02-12-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpetbagger (Post 939833)
My "hot run" comment referred to wide open throttle with a few back downs just to grab an estimate of flight time available.

Yep - I get it - but that will KILL your equipment. Trust me! The way you determine flight time is fly for a fixed time. Land. Check volts, if OK go more time the next flight. Repeat till you are happy.

Static ground testing simply cooks equipment, even when running well within specs.

vimy 02-13-2014 12:36 PM

All good information. Thanks for the discussion.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:45 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.10009 seconds with 13 queries