WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chit Chat (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Our friends in the UK (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73190)

DavidR8 02-15-2014 03:57 AM

Our friends in the UK

Watching the news on the flooding in the UK. Very serious, so many people affected. Hold fast, UK fliers!

kyleservicetech 02-15-2014 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR8 (Post 940031)
Watching the news on the flooding in the UK. Very serious, so many people affected. Hold fast, UK fliers!

Wow

No rain in California, all the water retention lakes are running dry, real cold weather here in Wisconsin, the South States and the East Coast of the USA is getting hit over and over again with heavy snow, and ice storms.

Russia has 60 degree weather at their Olympics.

Really crazy weather.

Decades ago I was sent on a repair mission to Wilkes Berry, PA to get several electric power stations back on line after they were hit with a flood. That substation had been under 15 feet of water three days before. Being from Wisconsin, had absolutely no clue on how much damage a flood can do to a home, and a neighborhood.

JetPlaneFlyer 02-15-2014 09:24 AM

Yep, it's been pretty bad in many places in the UK, mainly down south where it's flat. Fortunately for me it's not been so bad here in the north, but we have had some rain and winds, that's for sure. The wind speed was over 100mph a few days back.

DavidR8 02-15-2014 09:51 AM

While there is absolutely no comparison to what is happening in the UK, spring in central Canada brings annual floods as rivers overflow their banks due to spring melt.
Last year, the authorities had to make the very difficult decision to flood hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland to save residential areas. Very sad.

solentlife 02-15-2014 02:59 PM

I'm trapped at London Heathrow airport trying to get home.

Cancelled flights and of course the un-seasonal high temps in Baltic..... mean I'm not so happy!

The world certainly has gone crazy.

About Sochi and Olympics...... it is a known location for warmer weather.... it is the politburo holiday area.

Nigel

baz49exe 02-15-2014 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidR8 (Post 940031)

Thanks for the thought David.
I live in the South West of the UK in Exmouth in Devon. That's the other side of the bay from Dawlish where the main railway line was destroyed.
I'm lucky as we live in a sheltered valley above the town and we are protected from the immediate effects of the sea but other not so lucky seaside residents around this coast have been battered for weeks on end.
Worst weather for 240 years according to official information.
All I have to moan about is that I haven't been able to fly for ages but I'm a very lucky person compared to many long suffering souls.:oops:

Barry

DavidR8 02-16-2014 06:56 AM

So true. Our problems pale.