WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Chit Chat (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Who was...? (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73222)

hillbille 02-19-2014 10:50 AM

Who was...?

I was recently involved in a discussion on another forum in which a gentleman stated that he was going to "Hit the big Hawaii (Five-O) in a fortnight."

I figured it out pretty quick... he was going to celebrate his 50th birthday soon, but other contributors didn't get it and thought because the gentleman was from UK and wanted advice on a purchase (and the severe VAT and added price of local purchase over what we here in USA pay) was simply making a reference to travel plans for going to Hawaii and whether he could "purchase" his items there more reasonably.

Turned out I was right. He wasn't planning a trip to Hawaii, and the reference he made WAS about his turning 50 soon.

Later in the thread he explained his veiled reference to the old show - Hawaii 5-0 as a simple downplay of his upcoming birthday.

I got to thinking of MY old reference to the show Hawaii 5-0 and in doing so wondered if any of you out there might know and understand what MY reference was. You see I knew the main actor of Hawaii 5-0 from another show and ALWAYS thought of him in THAT role.

STONEY BURKE.

So I thought it might be fun if we started a sort of WHO IS... thread, or possibly it might be better to call it a WHO WAS... thread.

Silly really, like asking how many James Bond's there have been, or how many Batman's.

Hillbille

rcers 02-19-2014 04:36 PM

Hawaii 5-0 for me too - a couple of months. Coloring hair to match occasion. LOL

Jack Lord was always McGarrett for me.... :)

crxmanpat 02-19-2014 07:30 PM

It's funny, my daughter is 12, and Disney Channel is on almost constantly. Occassionally I'll see TV stars from the past haunt the Disney set. Two recent ones were Tim Russ and Robert Picardo. But of course, I know them for different roles than they were playing on the Disney shows. ;)

In fact, I'm rewatching the series now on Netflix.

tr4252 02-19-2014 09:12 PM

I'm amazed anyone would remember Stony Burke. My father had a horse he named after him. I think that show only lasted a season or so.

My girlfriend is a grammar nazi, I should ask her how many Batman's, or should it be Batmen?

Tom

tr4252 02-19-2014 09:17 PM

Ray Walston was in many shows and movies, but I always think of him as "Uncle Martin".

Tom

hillbille 02-20-2014 06:25 PM

There are a wide range of oldie stars I remember.

Craig Stevens played Peter Gunn - a show much more widely known for it's theme song than it's acting.

Edd Kookie Burns - of 77 Sunset Strip

Sheb Wooley - had a #1 rock hit on the charts and starred in movies along side John Wayne and Gary Cooper. (The hit song was - The one eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater! - shortened on the 45 rpm record to Flying Purple People Eater.)

It's funny how memory works. Some of the most famous characters I remember were never actually actors or ever appeared on TV or in movies. George Barris comes to mind. He created a lot of cars that were far and away more famous than he was.

Ed "Big Daddy" Roth - created one of the biggest "icons" ever (for me at least and many others too!) using a RAT! LOL!!

And the memories just keep on coming...

Hillbille

Dragonflyer 02-20-2014 07:53 PM

What about Rinaldo Duncan, Jay Silverheels, William Boyd, Andy divine, Pat Brady ? Silver, Rin Tin Tin, Topper, Trigger ?[popcorn]
DF aka Bill

hillbille 02-20-2014 08:10 PM

Don't forget Flipper and of course Asta (The Thin Man) and then there was Peete! (The Little Rascals), Flicka, Cheeta and others.

Gabby Hayes, Broderick Crawford (Highway Patrol), Kirby Grant (Sky King)

Hillbille

crxmanpat 02-20-2014 08:18 PM

You guys are old! :p>

hillbille 02-20-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crxmanpat (Post 940527)
You guys are old! :p>

Guilty as charged! LOL!!

Hillbille

tr4252 02-20-2014 09:28 PM

Wow! Super sharp memories you guys have!

I remember all the names mentioned so far, can still recall seeing them on a tiny black and white, fuzzy TV screen.

Used to watch some lesser known shows back then; The Silent Service (submarine crew), Tombstone Territory, all the Warner Brothers westerns (how many can you name?), The Twilight Zone wannabe called Way Out, Sea Hunt, Combat!, Zorro, The Untouchables, Pete Kelly's Blues, The Grey Ghost, Robin Hood, Dobie (had a crush on Zelda Gillroy,
Playhouse 90,
, Hell, I even watched the Gail Storm Show (she was a local celebrity).

Even shows I didn't watch, I can remember the theme songs; The Edge of Night, Mouse Club, Beany and Cecil, (I did watch Rocky the squirrel, though).

Keep them coming!

Tom

edit: on reflection, looks like I watched way too much TV as a kid

Dragonflyer 02-20-2014 09:44 PM

And what do they have today... SpongeBob SquarePants, Aahhhhhh !!!:eek:
DF aka Bill

hillbille 02-20-2014 10:21 PM

Combat, Rescue 8, 77 Sunset Strip, The Real McCoys and I watched Boris Karloff host a show called Thriller which was also a Twilight Zone want to be. There was also Have Gun Will Travel, Gunsmoke, Bonanza (first "COLOR" show on television I think - way before most people could even afford a color TV set!).

Perry Mason, Maverick, Cheyenne (Bodie), Wagon Train and yes, even Mr. Ed.

Hillbille

Dragonflyer 02-20-2014 10:32 PM

Forget the picture; Fibber McGee & Molly, Inter Sanctum, Dick Tracy, Johnny Dollar, George Burns & Gracy Allen, Jack Benny & Rochester...

hillbille 02-20-2014 10:34 PM

LOL!!

'50's it was westerns galore.

'60's it was mostly comedy's with a spattering of variety shows and toward the end there was Star Trek - the series - before it became anything BUT a series.

Anne Frances as Honey West... for a young guy she was pretty hot and my Mom didn't let me watch much of that!! LOL!! But what's really funny is that I did get to watch I Dream of Genie and Barbra Eden was really hot - always was!! LOL!!

Laugh In was always good for a few laughs too - as well as some nice girls in bikini's - and for TV back then that was pretty racy!

Hillbille

hillbille 02-20-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonflyer (Post 940542)
Forget the picture; Fibber McGee & Molly, Inter Sanctum, Dick Tracy, Johnny Dollar, George Burns & Gracy Allen, Jack Benny & Rochester...

Those "shows" will need a whole new thread!! LOL!!

In fact just referencing COMEDY would need a whole different thread - if you're gonna go way back when at least!! LOL!!

Hillbille

pizzano 02-21-2014 01:22 AM

Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the Outer Limits re-runs are still pretty good TV by todays standards.....lol

carpetbagger 02-21-2014 02:23 AM

Who? What? My parents didn't buy a TV until my senior year in high school, and then I signed on for night college classes, and when I transferred to a regular college there was one TV for the whole dorm and that was "owned" by the jocks.

Result = I rarely watch TV. Only programs I watched on the folks brand new `50s vintage B&W was Perry Mason (Raymond Burr) and being a total geek I got up early to catch two 1/2 hour episodes of "Continental Classroom" before dashing off to school.

Meanwhile in my TV-less den I built a ton of planes and was heavy into rockets (pre-estes) until parental unit shut me down after I set a field on fire and blew a hole in my bedroom ceiling while concocting rocket fuel.

Dragonflyer 02-21-2014 03:12 AM

And then there was "Ma and Pa Kettle" in "Down on the Farm"... One of my favorites. [popcorn]

tr4252 02-25-2014 11:48 PM

Ernie Kovacs!

Tom

kenchiroalpha 02-25-2014 11:58 PM

Hi
How about Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca, Gabby Hayes, Paul Winchell and Rootie Kazootie
Take care
Yours Hank

Dragonflyer 02-26-2014 12:05 AM

Yeh, and Soupy Sales, White Fang & Black Tooth...[popcorn]

Oh and how could I forget Larry, Moe & Curly.

gramps2361 02-26-2014 12:46 AM

William "Bud" Abbott and Lou Costello used to love watching there movies as a kid. Who's on first.:D

crxmanpat 02-26-2014 02:42 AM

So sad to see that Harold Ramis passed on yesterday.

Dragonflyer 02-26-2014 02:51 AM

Who is Harold Ramis ???