WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Batteries & Chargers (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Needed: A charger that will charge 10 cells (http://www.Wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73251)

soarrich 02-26-2014 04:19 PM

Needed: A charger that will charge 10 cells
 
I'm building a 90mm EDF and I'm using 10 cells to drive it. I'm having trouble finding a charger that will charge a 10 cell 5000 mah pack, anyone have a recommendation? ????

JetPlaneFlyer 02-26-2014 05:07 PM

icharger 3010b or 4010bduo

However on these large cell count systems most people use two packs in series, these are generally more easily vailable. This way you would charge as a 5s pack

Stevephoon 02-26-2014 06:00 PM

There are a couple of Powerlab 10 chargers available as well.

http://www.revolectrix.com/cat.chargers.htm

I have a PowerLab 6 and it's a very nice changer. I have not used either of the 10 cell capability chargers.

Steve

kyleservicetech 02-26-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soarrich (Post 940998)
I'm building a 90mm EDF and I'm using 10 cells to drive it. I'm having trouble finding a charger that will charge a 10 cell 5000 mah pack, anyone have a recommendation? ????


I've got a pair of Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers that will do the job. I've got them set up for charging my 12S2P A123 batteries as a 6S4P pack. Charging current through the A123 battery is set at 30 Amps. So, charging a 6S4P 10,000 Mah LiPo battery at 10 Amps would be no problem. On a 12 Volt power supply, the '8 chargers are rated at some 600 watts. On a 6S LiPo, you could charge over 20 Amps with the Cellpro charger, but that might be pushing those LiPos a bit.

One big problem with this, is your DC source for the Cellpro charger. If you're using deep cycle lead acid batteries, they are not rated for much more than 15 Amps or so discharge current. I was pulling 55 Amps out of my Deep cycle batteries, and got less than 6 months life out of them. I was only getting two or three flights out of my Deep Cycle batteries on my giant scale models before that deep cycle battery went flat.

In my case, pulling that 55 Amps out of the lead acid battery dropped its rated 120 Amp Hour capacity to about 30 - 40 Amp Hours.

fhhuber 02-26-2014 09:28 PM

I recommend not getting packs larger than 4S series. The center cells of higher count packs tend to fail early due to lack of cooling, especially in high demand applications such as an EDF.

I use 3 X 4S or 4 X 3S when operating my big EDF aircraft in the avatar pic.
(BVM EVF, 12S, demands 105 amps)

Having the packs pressed hard against each other during the relatively short flight of an EDF hasn't been a problem. But I have needed to pull them from the plane immediately and separate them for better cooling. surface temp of the center of 3 packs in series has been higher 2 min after the packs are removed than immediately after end of flight.

Then I charge using a Hobby King Quatro and/or a Hitec X2 400. The Quatro can't push more than 3.2 amps into a 4S pack due to its 50 watt per channel limit. The quatro can charge a pair of 4S 5000mah paralleled (effectively 4S 10,000 mah) at 10 amps with no problem at all... if the power supply can keep up.

JetPlaneFlyer 02-27-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech (Post 941015)
I've got a pair of Cellpro Powerlab 8 chargers that will do the job.

The spec for the Powerleb says 8s max, so, unless Cellpro's own spec is wrong they wouldnt charge a 10s pack. (clue is also in the name of the charger)

soarrich 02-27-2014 04:34 PM

Powerlab 10 chargers seem to be discontinued. It looks like the best way is two 5 cells in series, this was my first thoughts, but I got a really good deal, ($100 for 2 10 cell 5000 mah NIB batteries from a club member), I guess I should have passed it up though.

I had never gave the deep cycle battery a thought before. I thought mine could be use to charge any of my flight batteries, which it could when I was playing with 3 cell 1300 and 2200 batteries, but not this larger stuff. I guess I've got a lot to learn. I thought I knew everything when I found out that you had to keep the magic smoke inside, every time it leaked out my stuff quit working!:eek:

Thanks guys.

JetPlaneFlyer 02-27-2014 06:00 PM

What's wrong with the icharger options? They are top quality chargers.

kyleservicetech 02-27-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer (Post 941058)
The spec for the Powerleb says 8s max, so, unless Cellpro's own spec is wrong they wouldnt charge a 10s pack. (clue is also in the name of the charger)

Should have pointed out that the Powerlab 8's are for a maximum of 8S batteries. At any rate, the thread did indicate that my packs are charged as two parallel 6S Packs.

kyleservicetech 02-27-2014 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soarrich (Post 941090)
Powerlab 10 chargers seem to be discontinued. It looks like the best way is two 5 cells in series, this was my first thoughts, but I got a really good deal, ($100 for 2 10 cell 5000 mah NIB batteries from a club member), I guess I should have passed it up though.

I had never gave the deep cycle battery a thought before. I thought mine could be use to charge any of my flight batteries, which it could when I was playing with 3 cell 1300 and 2200 batteries, but not this larger stuff. I guess I've got a lot to learn. I thought I knew everything when I found out that you had to keep the magic smoke inside, every time it leaked out my stuff quit working!:eek:

Thanks guys.

The Cellpro unit is now the Cellpro 10xP part number, capable of charging a 10S battery pack. Several of my club members have them, and like them.

http://www.revolectrix.com/10xp_description_tab.htm

kyleservicetech 02-28-2014 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soarrich (Post 941090)

I had never gave the deep cycle battery a thought before. I thought mine could be use to charge any of my flight batteries, which it could when I was playing with 3 cell 1300 and 2200 batteries, but not this larger stuff. I guess I've got a lot to learn. I thought I knew everything when I found out that you had to keep the magic smoke inside, every time it leaked out my stuff quit working!:eek:

Thanks guys.

Yeah take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65723

And another thread:
A123 Batteries outlast my lead acid deep cycle battery?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48469

And my final solution for an 80 ampere rated "field power supply!" For those that really need power, 24 volt DC alternators are available for $$$$ in Ebay.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66066

soarrich 02-28-2014 01:55 AM

I picked this up, iCharger1010B

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6609


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:16 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 WattfFlyer.com
RCU Eflight HQ

Page generated in 0.08225 seconds with 13 queries